Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Aldi powertool batteries unavailable – other options?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Am after some new cordless power tools – a multi cutter and a jigsaw.
    Have Dewalt XR 18v impact driver and drill driver with a couple of batteries and chargers but the prices for the tool bodies are pretty high for things that I won’t use very often.

So thought I would get some Aldi ones as the tools are £20-30 each and the batteries and chargers aren’t much more. And I could pick up some more tools as time goes on without spending too much.

However, you can get the tools and charger just now but not the batteries. None online or in any of the 3 or 4 Aldi shops I’ve looked in.

So..

Are there any other batteries that fit Aldi tools? I’ve got a Worx Hydroshot with a small battery and charger but while they look similar they have different numbers of pins.

or I’ve seen an adaptor online that would let me use my DeWalt batteries in the Ferrex tools – this would be ideal really as saves having too many ‘systems’: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274748346825. A bit pricey, especially considering it’s from abroad so might get customs charges too

Or, are there any other cheap tools that would use the deWalt or Worx batteries I already have?

Tracey

They had batteries and chargers in the one we went in yesterday. Where are you based

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I would like to know this too, especially the 20v/40v batteries.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m in Scotchland

dc1988

I think my Aldi battery works in my Worx but not the other way round, not helpful I know

Tracey

They were in South Yorkshire

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The Aldi website comments for the battery are full of folks raging that they’ve bought the tools and can’t find batteries anywhere: https://www.aldi.co.uk/activ-energy-20v-40v-battery/p/805624512187400#product-reviews

And today, I saw the chargers at half-price in my local Aldi.

I wonder if they are phasing them out or something…

scud
    Free Member

I have the Aldi impact driver and angle driver, good tools for the price and thankfully have a battery for each, but due to the problems with obtaining further batteries, all my other tools have been Einhell from Toolstation, have about 8-9 of their tools, good value and quality and they have had an offer where a battery and charger is given away for the cost of the body only.

Cougar

I’d avoid supermarket-brand power tools for exactly this reason. I’ve thrown out a set of half a dozen battery tools before now due to the batteries, I’m not doing it again. (Mine were B&D VersaPak, NiCad batteries just die and replacements cost more than the bloody tools did.)

fossy

This is sort of the reason I’ve not got any other than a couple of Keilder tools which are a UK company.

My Mrs works for a company that sells all sorts of household stuff, including full range of battery drills etc with interchangeable batteries, but it’s not a set standard, and who knows if the pin-out will change. She get’s a ig discount, but I’ve ordered a mains drill instead.

jamesoz

I’d avoid supermarket-brand power tools for exactly this reason. I’ve thrown out a set of half a dozen battery tools before now due to the batteries, I’m not doing it again. (Mine were B&D VersaPak, NiCad batteries just die and replacements cost more than the bloody tools did.)

This. Not helpful after the event but I’d either buy corded or if you must have battery then more mainstream.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aldi say they’ll be getting the batteries back in stock in March: https://www.aldi.co.uk/activ-energy-20v-battery/p/801019465772000

Ended up ordering a Wesco multi-angle jigsaw.
    Seems they are made by the same company as Worx so will work with the batteries from my Hydroshot.

Anyway, £50 for a the saw, a 2ah battery and charger ain’t too bad.

Also found an adaptor on AliExpress for £12 that would let me use my DeWalt batteries in these tools, so might get that ordered too

footflaps

Also found an adaptor on AliExpress for £12 that would let me use my DeWalt batteries in these tools, so might get that ordered too

They seem to be the way forward, it is a bit daft with every vendor selling a unique battery when they’re pretty much all the same inside.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@yourguitarhero if I remember on Saturday I’ll have a look in Ayr, every time I’m in they have enough to see out an apocalypse.

snotrag

Stick with Dewal. Buy used bodies, or Brushed versions for home use on a budget. Dewalt are going anywhere and it sounds like your after some long term solutions.

Kahurangi

I was walking past my nearest Aldi (Newcastle) at the weekend so I popped in just for you lot. 15 chargers and no batteries. 🤣

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Aldi powertool batteries unavailable – other options?’ is closed to new replies.