Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alcohol Licensing for temporary outdoor venue
  • keppoch

Does any one have any experience, knowledge or speculation (well it is STW) on how readily or otherwise alcohol licenses are granted for the establishment of temporary outdoor drinking on say 10 evenings a year in a public space?

Limited hours of operation say 1700-2200.

I have had a look over this Alcohol Licensing it gives the process but of course does not comment on specifics.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Scotland or EandW?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Basically there are two types of licence. 1) a personal licence held by an individual. 2) premises licence on a building (off licence or on licence ie pub/restaurant). There has to be a least one personal licence holder designated to a licensed premises, they’re called the DPS.
    by the looks of things you can hold up to 12 temp events totaling 168hrs in one place using only a Temp Event Notice and by the looks of things, wouldn’t need a personal licence. If you don’t have a personal licence you can only apply for 5 TENs, so you might get away with 2 or 3 people doing the notice. I assume those people submitting the TEN would be granted a temp DPS and held responsible to up hold the licensing laws. Some sort of background check might be done by the police on that individual.

EDIT: good point, E and W in this case

keppoch

Ah yes, England and Wales.

Thanks for the rundown. I suppose what I was after was an opinion on a rather circumstantial case of using a public open space and serving alcohol to it. But to make a judgement on that I guess the specifics are important.

I think a conversation with the council is probably the best way ahead.

antigee

reads more like unhappy with a granted license than looking to get one?
    if that’s right then the license will probably have a lot of stuff about noise / good management etc – licensing officer should be able to give you details / environmental health if being broken will force licensing to act

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I can only speak for Scotland, but you here the quickest route to getting one for you would be to find a premises manager to request one for you, they are then responsible so there would need to be some trust that you’ll run a good operation. Do you have experience in licensed premises?

grum
    Free Member

It’s not too hard to get TENs but fairly impossible to speculate without any details. Just apply – the form doesn’t take long.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think a conversation with the council is probably the best way ahead.

Yep, environmental deal with it these days, but might be trading standards.

These are the licensing objectives:

prevention of crime and disorder
    prevention of public nuisance
    public safety
    protection of children from harm

If it’s for some occasional street party, then I guess the licence officer might consider the views of your neighbours and without doubt what measures you’ll have in place to prevent sales to under age, proxy sales and people who’ve had too much to drink. Most licensed premises these days run a Prove It policy, where if you appear 21/25yo or under, you have to prove you are 18 or over.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol Licensing for temporary outdoor venue’ is closed to new replies.