• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alchohol, sports performance and life's little luxury's….
  • Kryton57

I don’t drink that much but recently have taken to enjoying a double or two of straight rum sipped slowly in the evenings. Never any more, I just enjoy it. I don’t have any other bad habits, and although I’m conscious of the health issues and potential for dehydration and lack of glucose available for hard cycling workouts the next day, would prefer to enjoy life a little rather than give it up.

Anyone else with the same sentiment of thumbing their nose just for the sake of enjoyment? Oh, and will I die? 😀

surfer
    Free Member

I have a glass of Red most nights (dont drink shorts or beer much and dont really go out much)
    I train almost every day (running) but given I am 50 now I dont think it makes much difference to my performance although if I have monre than say 1 large glass I suffer a bit the next morning. If I abstained I could probably run fractionally quicker its all about balance

ton

i regularly have a gallon the night before riding……..or even whilst out riding.

you have to die of something.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Currently training for the Outlaw tri (when I say training, I mean I’m trying to make sure I won’t die), and pretty much every one of my training rides ends up with at least 1 pub stop. It’s probably far from optimal, but I figure I need to prepare my body for the sudden intake of alcohol at the end

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frequent 1 – 3 here, I’ve not got the motivation to train seriously.

righog
    Free Member

you have to die of something.

Sitting in the KLM lounge in Amsterdam trying my best.

Will be riding tomorrow if above does not occur

bearnecessities

Anyone else with the same sentiment of thumbing their nose just for the sake of enjoyment?

Hopefully as often as I can; what’s the point in it all otherwise eh?

thecaptain
    Free Member

A couple of drinks won’t do you any harm. I don’t believe there is any significant performance cost from moderate drinking.

ninfan
    Free Member

Given that alcohol limits have no scientific basis (source) I say crack on!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to have a snifter over the winter, couple of fingers of whiskey but thats it and not every night, just Thurs/Fri and Sun. That indespursed with a Pint of Proper Real Ale*.

Whilst I’m not hacking it like you are I’d not find any difference in performance at all.

Packed in drinking Wine early last year…

* I mean Proper Real Ale

cloudnine
    Free Member

Alcohol affects the quality of sleep you get so could have a bearing on recovery.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m pissed on free Gulder beer in the Sheraton in Lagos but won’t be riding for another 12 days so that’s okay then….

Haze

I tend to stay clear day before a race, might have a couple before a training day but never a session.

Having said that some of my best segment times have been following a couple of Bathams.

bigblackshed

In reality if you’re serious, I mean really serious, about your performance then everyday life will get in the way of your optimum output. Proper professional athletes will try to control everything. Normal people who compete to enjoy themselves will not do any harm to themselves by enjoying life.

What rum are you drinking?

Kryton57

What rum are you drinking?

Lol it took that long! Mount Gay XO.

As above I don’t drink before events races or club rides, and I’m not capable of going over about 4 beers these days. It’s just days like today I’ve cracked out a turbo session, have a rest day tomorrow and am sitting on the sofa relaxing with a snifter. I might still do this if I was turbo-ing tomorrow but not if racing yet generally I race at weekends. And, I always hydrate well their morning after. I’m not a pro and never will be, so my view is that why wouldn’t I enjoy some quality enjoyment in moderation.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i sometimes line a couple of beers up when I’m on the turbo 😆

alcohol consumption makes zero difference to my power output/endurance I’ve found,

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Durhambiker … I will be AMAZED if when you finish the outlaw you either crave, want or like the taste of beer! I thought the same when I’d finished my ironman … the pizza (in the athlete’s village was rank) I had a cup of tea and struggled through a small portion of chips!!

Mr MC likes to have a tipple of whiskey or a beer most nights! Why not one doesn’t hurt it’s when it becomes 3 or 4 every night it’s an issue!

durhambiker
    Free Member

That’s why after some training rides I’ve forced 7 pints down my neck. No pain no gain and all that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I always enjoy a few after an event – esp my 226.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Durhambiker LOL train for the event I like it!

Del

wasn’t there a thread on here a week or so ago about that horizon program?
    intestinal fluid in the blood and 3 pints being a binge?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Monday-recovery
    Tuesday-recovery
    Weds-two pints
    Thurs-5 pints
    Friday-bottle of Red
    Sat-potential big binge
    Sun-a few beers and half a bottle of wine

(obviously interspersed with various activities along the way)

We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time!

Keva
    Free Member

I pretty much always have several pints at the weekend and it’s never stopped me going out for a ride. A few weeks ago I got 2nd place on strava going up a pretty steep climb, I’d had six pints of cider the night before. A few beers after riding is better though but it can seriously reduce recovery time.

iainc

Monday-recovery
    Tuesday-recovery
    Weds-two pints
    Thurs-5 pints
    Friday-bottle of Red
    Sat-potential big binge
    Sun-a few beers and half a bottle of wine

I make that over 30 units without including the Saturday 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Apart from being a Pirate OP, why not?

Measure control though. My other half notices sometimes my measures are on the generous side with Rum.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I make that over 30 units without including the Saturday

And you know, I don’t drink like a lot of my friends drink….but do a lot of exercise, so pretty fit and not over weight, so think its fine. But I don’t touch spirits like the OP, which is where it can all go pear shaped without some self control!

I do recall working out many years ago that my friends and I used to average over 30 pints from Friday evening to Sunday….that didn’t seem like a lot at the time, as it was interspersed with a lot of sport.

40mpg

I do tend to enjoy an isotonic cider or two mid-ride, and often post-ride. Pre-ride only on special occasions, like birthdays, christmas, easter or Sundays.

I find a pint between laps at 12 and 24-hour events helps take your mind off the impending climb out of the campsite too. Can limit skillz a bit though – my daughter made £250 off of You’ve Been Framed filming me falling off at Mountain Mayhem holding a pint, while dressed in a sumo suit 😳

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alchohol, sports performance and life's little luxury's….’ is closed to new replies.