Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Air Rifles
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

Anyone know stuff about air guns and target shooting? My eldest daughter seems interested in having a go, we’ve got a large garden with no neighbours for a considerable distance but apart from that we don’t know where to start.

dont want to spend mega money at first, just want to know where to look, what to look at, etc.

cheers.

timidwheeler

I asked the same question a few months ago.

Buying an air rifle

Good luck.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As per my post on that thread, very pleased with my BSA.

It’s a bit heavier than some, which may be an issue if she’s younger/smaller.

The VMX that I had before was a nice, cheap set up. Not sure how/why it broke, though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

12 pages.

2nd amendment/NRA/gun fetish accusations.

grum
    Free Member

OMG I’ve only just realised that I’m a grown-up and no one could stop me buying an air rifle now. 🤔

stevied
    Free Member

Start cheap!
    Pick up a cheap break barrel rifle for her to start on.
    I think shooting is something you need to start with the basics as it teaches you how to shoot properly.
    If you go and get a PCP rifle, it’s easy. Anyone can shoot one.
    A spring rifle will help her learn more about how to shoot and, if she doesn’t like it, you won’t loose too much money.

grum
    Free Member
    timidwheeler

For the record I ended up going to the local fishing/shooting/table tennis shop and bought the one that was the most comfortable to hold. Some of the ones with a longer stock might have been amazing rifles but they just didn’t sit nicely in my arms. The weight was less of an issue for me than the fit. I should point out that I’m a 5/6 woman so possibly have a similar geometry to your daughter.

Klunk
    Free Member

we’ve got one of these it’s been an excellent rifle.

nostrils
    Free Member

Depending on where you are based. I’ve got a C02 powered SMK XS78 in .22 you can have for nothing. Been in the garage for years so might need new o rings etc but there are lots of guides on the net and parts are very cheap. I’m just outside Chichester West Sussex btw.

jimmy

do you need a license for an air rifle?

timmys

England – no (assuming under the legal power limit)
    Scotland – yes

bails

No. As long as it’s below a certain power level, which most are, and a gun shop wouldn’t sell you one that required a license if you didn’t have one.

MrOvershoot

jimmy
    Subscriber

It is legal for anyone above the age of 14 to shoot an airgun, unsupervised, on private land where full permission to shoot has been given. Those below the age of 14 may shoot airguns only if closely supervised by someone over 21 years of age. The supervising adult is legally responsible for the actions of the junior shooter.

Airguns may be used only on land where the user has full permission to shoot. This may be your garden, or private land owned or leased by an individual or club. Remember, wherever you shoot, you must ensure that all of your pellets remain within the boundary of the land to which your shooting permission applies.

The legal muzzle-energy limit for air rifles is 12ft.lb and for pistols, 6ft.lb. You do not require any form of licence for sub legal-limit airguns. For rifles producing more than 12ft.lb, a Firearms Certificate (FAC) is required. Air pistols that produce more than 6ft.lb are prohibited.

FB-ATB

I’m a 5/6 woman

What’s the other 1/6th?

euain

The legal muzzle-energy limit for air rifles is 12ft.lb and for pistols, 6ft.lb. You do not require any form of licence for sub legal-limit airguns. For rifles producing more than 12ft.lb, a Firearms Certificate (FAC) is required. Air pistols that produce more than 6ft.lb are prohibited.

In England. As said above, licence is needed in Scotland. Not sure in other nations.

timidwheeler

I’m a 5/6 woman

What’s the other 1/6th?

Pizza.

FB-ATB

You wait till that new oven gets a grip, the proportion will increase!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve accumulated a few airguns over the decades. The two that see use for visiting children are the SMK XS78 that nostrils mentioned and a Crosman Ratcatcher.

Both use co2 cartridges to power them which makes them more expensive to run, but no springs to deal with and very light and plenty accurate. Ideal for kids.

FB-ATB

very light and plenty accurate. Ideal for kids.

Not sure we should be despatching kids with air rifles.

thols2

Not sure we should be despatching kids with air rifles.

Nope, guns are for grown-ups.

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve been watching that on a loop for about 15 minutes. Holy cow.

TBH, we were more sensible than that with air-rifles when we were kids – and we used to deliberately shoot at each other.

reeksy

That is hilarious.

We had a game where one person had the air rifle and the other had to run as far across the field as possible before the shooter could load a barley kernel and try to shoot them with it.

To be fair my .177 air rifle inherited from my grandad probably had less impact that if i’d thrown a pea at someone.

fasthaggis

TBH, we were more sensible than that with air-rifles when we were kids – and we used to deliberately shoot at each other.

Tru Dat #noheadshots

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Air Rifles’ is closed to new replies.