Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Aged 44, buying dirt jump bike = end up in hospital?
  • maxtorque

As per the title, if i buy a dirt jump bike, is that pretty much guaranteed to end in a one way trip to hospital in lots of little pieces?? 😆

Tiger6791

Yes – Stop being silly 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Which one are you going to get?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

The fact that you’re asking the question means you know the answer

I’m 46 and I don’t have (nor will I) a DJ bike

vongassit
    Free Member

It’s the scorn poured on by all the nurses that will hurt most.

maxtorque

mmm nurses…. Might be worth the pain then?? 😛

fergal
    Free Member

Depends, are you good on the jumps or just a regular stw mincer, looking for some bling to polish?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha perfect summary by fergal

ocrider

I’m 44 and found myself recently buying a dj bike to accompany my youngest at the jumps on their bmx.
    That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

maxtorque

I’m totally awsums on d’jumps init….

Ok, i’m not going to get an invite to the RB Rampage, but i can jump (sort of) 😆

wilko1999
    Free Member

Don’t be daft just get one. I just got an NS Metropolis off eBay for £170 and with a little tlc it’s riding really well. Great at the pump/Bmx tracks with my kids, but even better at Redhill Extreme hitting bigger jumps than I’ve ever done before. Oh, I’m 42

kermit
    Free Member

I’ve managed to arrange hospital trips on a road bike aged 25ish, an XC bike aged 36, a CX bike aged 43 and a full susser aged 45, although fortunately only the first required me staying overnight.

Would I get a better class of hospital visit with a jump bike? 🙂

Mugboo

I’ve just built up an ageing Gimp frame using lots of my decent 26″ spares and feels great, so I say go for it.

I’m 46 by the way.

Since a fatbike replaced my hardtail I needed a pump track solution.

maxtorque

Ok, how does one know how big a frame one needs for a DJ bike???

Joe

I did this a few years ago and bought a BMX in a moment of madness. I think I went out on it three times before smashing a nice big hole in the cartilage on my knee.

I wouldn’t bother mate; yep, you’re too old, yep you heal too slow and yep it will hurt.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m still hurting from falls and crashes I had 10 and 20 years ago. I’m also 44. I go out of my way to avoid crashes nowadays. Takes a lot longer to get better.

chevychase

I’ve been thinking of this myself. I’m shit at jumps, was thinking this might help. I’m 43 🙂

orangespyderman

I’m shit at jumps, was thinking this might help. I’m 43

Make sure you film this. It’s gonna be great 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Smaller is better.

Bigger is more comfortable (and stable) to people coming off MTB’s.

But even a ‘long’ dirtjump frame will only have a ~23″ top tube.

lunge

Get one. I’m currently tempted by a BMX and am 37 with a fear of my wheels being off the ground.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member

5’10 + will want a long everyone else a medium, children ride smalls.

Tbh its rare to find anything other than long or short.

Decent long frames are a pain to find.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Start small and build up. Ride weekly and after 3-4 months you will be getting more comfortable. Just don’t try doing massive doubles straight away

Stevet1
    Free Member

A DJ bike is a pretty specific tool, what are you hoping to ride on it? Don’t tell me – dirt jumps 🙂 ?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

46 next month and I have been looking at dirt jump frames. I have an older 26″ hard tail which isn’t getting much use and my 5 year old is keen as mustard to get up the skate park. My main bike is just too long and travelley to be any use on a skate ramp.

I say go for it. Won’t expect to be pulling off back flip or huge transfers but it beats the hell out of watching from the sidelines.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

just make sure you buy really good arm/leg body protection/pads and a good full face helmet and yer good to go … Unless you have No idea how to jump 😆

TiRed

Like all political careers, it will end in failure. Ibuprofen slow bone healing, and age slows it even more.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

If you can get to a place with a foam pit, they are so much fun.

Radical Bikes in Highwood near chelmsford is excellent as is Adrenaline alley in Corby.

core

29 here, never been a jumper, bought a DJ/4X frame a few months back, used it a couple of times, realised you need to have been decent on a bike since you were a kid or have A LOT of spare time to not kill yourself. Sold it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

realised you need to have been decent on a bike since you were a kid or have A LOT of spare time to not kill yourself.

It must help admittedly but the most important thing you need is to enjoy it. And I mean enjoy it so much to be willing to put up with the chance of crashing, to turn up to a jump spot and be the worst person there by miles, to spend afternoons sessioning one single jump over and over, to travel an hour to ride a jump for 30 minutes and then drive home again. To spend entire winters not riding but out with a spade, to spend summer with a 20litre bottle of water permanently in the back of your car to water the jumps down.
    I meet people who say they want to learn how to jump, get to talking a bit more and maybe invite them to session a jump a few times and they’re bored after a couple of goes. What they mean is they want to instantly be granted the ability to be able to jump in order to say to their friends ‘hell yeah I can jump’. But the reward of riding a set of jumps over and over for it’s own sake does not feature.

maxtorque

Stevet1
    A DJ bike is a pretty specific tool, what are you hoping to ride on it? Don’t tell me – dirt jumps ?

I’m lucky enough to have both Woburn and Chuicksands just down the road, and Corby just up it, so plenty of places to ride hurt myself…..

Stevet1
    Free Member

crack on then, no better way to spend your time that at the jumps IMHO.

weeksy

I went to Chicksands…. never been in so much pain…. never quite been the same since.

mahalo

im 36 and have just got one, been taking the kids to the pumptrack and chasing each other round, then the odd evening at S4P, i have got some very impressive bruises on my arse and legs!! but im definitely improving!!

Euro
    Free Member

You don’t have to go to hospital but yeah, you’ll get hurt. Goes with the territory i’m afraid. Partly because it’s dangerous but mostly because it’s so much fun you’ll end up riding when you’re exhausted but wont notice til it’s too late. Just take it easy and work on technique, stamina and steeze and you’ll be grand.

Please note:
    When you do fall you must get back on the bloody horse!

Have fun 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1. Not a dirt jumper myself but ride bmx at skatepark and trying the thing that just bucked you off is tough but has to be done

mahalo

is there a list/directory of places with foam pits in UK?

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

What @TheBrick said.
    I’m 40 and started bmx 4 months ago, 2 crashes so far, both my fault and both where avoidable.

If you build up your skills and confidence step by step, you will get there and enjoy the path, if you try to rush you’ll probably crash, and lose what you’ve gained.

At our age it’s not that the crash hurts more that when we were younger, it’s that it takes far more to recover!

hooli

Of course you will, so what are you going to get 😉

maxtorque

I’ve been riding my Dune at Chicky and Woburn and it’s so dam long the fronts landed before the backs even taken off, which makes styling it up somewhat hard!

I’d quite like a nice DR Jekyll if i can find a long one!

sirromj

With a username like maxtorque I’ll be disappointed if you don’t get one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Aged 44, buying dirt jump bike = end up in hospital?’ is closed to new replies.