Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Aerial & Freeview TV – help please
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

I have bought a TV with built in Freeview but I'm having problems with the channels. I get most of the free to air channels i.e. ITV, Channel 4, etc but not BBC1 or BBC2. Well to be honest I can re-tune the Freeview & sometimes I do get the BBC but the signal strength is 70% or less & the picture freezes or pixilates.

I live less than 8 miles from the TV mast with a clear line of sight, no tress & pre-digital switch over I had a fantastic analogue picture with no probs. The aerial is in the loft & is about 10 foot long with 20 – 25 bars.

The question is do I need a new aerial? do I need to reposition the aerial? or what do I need to do to get all the Freeview channels?

I thought I'd ask on here before sending the Mrs up the loft to move the aerial 😉

roger_mellie

I had a similar problem. Moved into a house with a clear view of t'local TV transmitter, so I thought should be no problems. Tried fiddling around. Then tried fiddling around with the aerial instead and retuning TV. Then phoned a local aerial man who charged me a reasonable £20 to sort it out property in about 20 mins.

Lactic
    Free Member

Had the same problem. Our loft aerial had to point at a brick wall and the row of houses next door. Faffed about for ages before ultimately sticking it on the roof instead. Problem solved.

CountZero

Possibly due to the current retuning digital stations saga. Retuned mine the other evening and now BBC2 is missing, but there's a second phase coming up, so I'll see what happens then. Not fussed, watch via SkyHD anyway.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I cant remember the technicalities, but when I was having trouble with Freeview my old man (knew alot about these things) mentioned something about loft antennae not being as good with digital signals compared to analogue.

The word loft is a dead giveaway. Digital signals hate spurious reflections which you get from tiles or water tanks etc.

As Lactic says, outside is the answer.

nickjb
    Free Member

There seem to be some issues with BBC1 at the moment. I know a few people who can't get it. I recently put up a 'digital' aerial, it looks a bit space age but was only £20 and the signal is much better. Its in the loft and its fine.

zaskar
    Free Member

My old man had the same prob with 5% signal.

I went online/googled the transmitter, direction and compared his aerial position.

Turned out I just needed to turn his aerial which was above his garage luckily as I'm not using the **** ladder to the top his house with a shoddy ladder.

Could be the direction of your ariel and be careful up there-when you send her!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Cheers guys for all your help.

I think I'll try the cheaper option first (well I am Cornish after all) & send the Mrs up the loft to tweak the aerial direction 😆

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Wolfbane.com and a compass will sort you out
    You can also have to much signal which is also not good.

colnagokid

Carefull up there, remember Rod Hull 😥

jam-bo

check all your connectors as well. a poorly terminated connector can loose a lot of signal.

mk1fan
    Free Member

aerialsandtv.com/ is very good and full of info

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Aerial & Freeview TV – help please’ is closed to new replies.