Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Southern riders – want more trails to ride? Read on and sign petition!
  • cinnamon_girl

Apologies but there is a bit of reading to do!

A new access route called "The Shipwright's Way" is being planned in Hampshire. This is an historical route going back to when timber was transported from Alice Holt Forest to Portsmouth Dockyard.

Discussions are currently being held between various interested authorities including South Downs National Park, Forestry Commission etc etc. It would be a foot and cycle route linking Alice Holt Forest, via Petersfield, to the Queen Elizabeth Country Park, gateway to the South Downs. It would also form part of the National Cycle Network linking London with Portsmouth.

Naturally the trail would be safe and family-friendly, thus encouraging children to enjoy the delights of cycling.

There will be NO mega forest with single track, drop-offs, jumps etc cos that just isn't going to happen in the South!

The authorities need to be convinced of the merits of making this trail completely off-road so this is where mountain bikers come in …

A cursory glance of the map will show many pockets of woodland radiating from Alice Holt Forest in a southerly direction. There is huge potential for using the route as a "hub" as well as both creating and improving public rights of way.

Another important factor is public transport links. Close to Alice Holt Forest is Bentley Station, this is served by London trains on the way through Farnham, via Petersfield, to the South Coast.

A new Cafe is being planned at the Alice Holt Visitor Centre too.

It must be stressed that Alice Holt Forest is NOT being promoted as a cycle destination, due to its unique historical importance.

A meeting will be taking place in several weeks time with East Hampshire District Council and Hampshire County Council. Representing mountain bikers will be a person with trail building experience together with associated knowlege of geology. A person who can "think outside the box", is completely dedicated to this project, is resourceful, has vision and tenacity. I can't think of a better person for the job and hope you will be supportive too.

This particular Forestry Commission section are very pro-mountain biking and are keen to explore all possibilities.

I'm sure you will agree that following on from the Swinley Forest/Surrey Hills threads complaining of over-use, this opportunity is timely.

An e-petition has been set up and I implore you to show your support by signing it.

Thank you.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/shipwrightsway/

rOcKeTdOg

it'll be tarmac though (or hardcore like the sustrans trail in the wyre forest) so it's suitable for hybrids

Aice Holt forest sounds good for a cheeky ride though, got any routes? 😉

cinnamon_girl

No, it WON'T be tarmac 🙄

The riding is dull in the Forest but the potential is there for so much more. Linking up to South Downs Way, North Downs Way, Downs Link and that's just for starters!

cinnamon_girl

rOcKeTdOg – would you mind signing the petition please? After all, you have been known to ride in the South. Thank you. 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

There will be NO mega forest with single track, drop-offs, jumps etc cos that just isn't going to happen in the South!

I've heard rumours from people who work for a certain government agency of the possibility of a couple of non-mega trail centres being created in the newly established South Downs National Park. Although, I've always considered the area as a bit of a Mega trail centre anyway 😉

rOcKeTdOg

it's not going to be anything other than a psuedo road if it has to be "family friendly" and a "foot and cycle" route that means it has to be weatherproof and not muddy, not trying to sound negative but i think you are blowing it up to be more than it is, any cycle way is welcome though but it's not going to ba a specific mountain bike trail

cinnamon_girl

rOcKeTdOg – you are missing the point! It will act as a "hub", a spider's web of trails are there to be had.

The Forestry Commission have actually indicated their willingness to further trails – they are "onside" so to speak. No, I am not "blowing it up" – my friend is a very strong resourceful character and I have complete confidence 8)

This is a huge opportunity – just look at the map and see what riding there is.

Hope this has reassured you?

cinnamon_girl

slugwash – you're causing trouble!

slimraybob
    Free Member

The tracks and bridleways that form the proposed Shipwrights Way already exist, all that will happen is as RD suggested is the route will be resurfaced so as to make it suitable for 'riders of all abilities', there will be a lot of good off road track ruined.

cinnamon_girl

slimraybob –

A cursory glance of the map will show many pockets of woodland radiating from Alice Holt Forest in a southerly direction. There is huge potential for using the route as a "hub" as well as both creating and improving public rights of way.

Thanks to the STW'ers who have signed the petition. Optimism rules, together with a Positive Mental Attitude 8)

willej

Just signed, the proposed trail goes right through my "patch".

slimraybob
    Free Member

CG- If by creating rights of way you mean the Forestry Commision using some of their land as a route then yes, this is a good thing, however if by improving existing rights of way you would be happy to see bridleways widened to approx 2.4m and surfaced with stone chippings then this is bad, very very bad.
    Please dont sign any pettions as this will become just another unused expensive white elephant.

cinnamon_girl

slimraybob – yes, I appreciate what you are saying BUT, as I understand it, the FC have indicated very strongly their support for further developments in additon to this one.

I can not be specific and divulge but nevertheless understand that it could be very good news for us mountain bikers provided they feel that the community as a whole would make use of The Shipwright's Way as an off-road trail.

willej – thanks, good to know there's a local on board 🙂

bananaworld
    Free Member

Sounds like a fine plan. More cycle-specific routes can only be a good thing.

I quite like the idea of these little patches of woodland becoming mini-trailhavens.I know it was mentioned that it won't be all dropoffs and singletrack but if the FC are as bike-friendly as reported about this, perhaps these little pockets of woodland could be granted some sort of 'open-access' for bikes…?

Before we judge whether or not this project will result in bridleways widened to approx 2.4m etc. could we perhaps hear from a someone who is familiar with the route in its current guise? Willej, how are things on the ground?

Is it lovely flowing trails as it stands or just fairly average muddy bridleways full of dogsh!t and hoofholes?

If the latter then bring on the developments.

cinnamon_girl

mini-trailhavens

– love the terminology 8)

It's too easy to be negative but us mountain bikers need to prove that we ARE a force to be reckoned with. Just a shame that we do not have credible representation from an official collective (awaits abuse/flaming etc).

Acorns …

brakes
    Free Member

it's a bike trail
    that can only be a good thing
    signed

cinnamon_girl

Thank you bakes 8)

slimraybob
    Free Member

cinnamon girl, I do live within 200m of the proposed trail and ride the existing bridleways almost every other day, the pockets of woodland that you mention are not owned by the FC but are just small areas of woodland owned by the MOD or the NT(who are not involved with the project at the moment)while some are in private hands.
    There are some trails that while not being totally first class are fun to ride in the wet and the mud, some when its dry and rocks and roots have been exposed, non will be any good when they have been shingled and rolled.
    I think you have to be realistic about who will use this route, Alice Holt is an area used by families with children under 12 who will probably not be prepared to cycle 28 miles to QE park only to have to turn around and ride back to the car.
    Now I'm not cynical but I think that this has more to do with a 'green' transport link between the proposed eco town project in Bordon and Petersfield than giving any new routes to mountain bikers after all Hampshire CC not the FC will be footing the bill.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Signed, good luck, hope it goes through…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Southern riders – want more trails to ride? Read on and sign petition!’ is closed to new replies.