Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on 26″ frame please.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

My trusty Whyte 19 alu frame has come to the end of its life, everything else on the bike is tickety boo, what is the best option to go for using as many existing parts as possible?

The last thing i want to do is buy a new bike, is a 27.5 frame a possibility or a second hand steel frame an option.?

Your musings and gems of wisdom are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Saccades
    Free Member

If you have a perfectly functional 26″ straight steerer fork the world is your oyster.

Loads of 26″ frames floating around for pretty cheap as it’s forks to fit them that are rare.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s tapered unfortunately.

mattyfez

Cotic just released a new bfe 26er. 44mm head tube so will take a straight or tapered fork with a new headset

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/06/26-aint-dead-cotic-has-just-released-a-new-bfe-hardtail-%f0%9f%a4%98%f0%9f%a4%98%f0%9f%a4%98/

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’ve bought a Genesis 650b frame with a QR rear end and a 44mm headtube. I’m going to put my straight 26” forks and wheels in but I’ll be able to put some tapered forks and 650b wheels in later.

jamesoz

I’ve just picked up an Onza Jackpot (650b) non boost 142 back end. It has a PF30 B.B. so I’m planning to run 26” with an eccentric B.B. to raise the cranks a touch.

The only issue is choice of eccentric B.B. is small/pricey.

I’ve not built it up yet, it’s to  replace my old Kona steely, the head tube has become flared, one dropout has been straightened too many times and a chain stay is a bit bent.

bsims
    Free Member

I’ve got a BFe 275 with 26 wheels and fork which works well. I’m not going to upgrade wheels until I have too, the fork will get improved but no rush. I think someone else on here runs the same and is as happy as I am.

montgomery
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for a 26″ Cannondale frame – straight 1.5″ headtube will take pretty much anything with the appropriate reducer headset in. I got one off here for £60 last year that I’ve been very happy with – currently set up with straight 26″ 1 1/8″ rigid forks, but I’d be happy enough plugging in tapered 27.5″ forks with the current front wheel.

poah
    Free Member

use a 27.5 frame.

crashrash

Another vote for the BFe – great frame and bike for hooning around on.

kayla1
    Free Member

1st gen Switchback (nominally 650B) with 26″ wheels here, it’s brill. There’s only 10-12mm difference in the wheel radius anyway which could be all but cancelled out depending on the size of the tyres you stick in it.

Changing wheel size is not an ‘upgrade’, it’s just a change in wheel size 🙂 Boat anchor steel 650B rims on shit hubs with bakelite tyres wouldn’t be an upgrade from good aluminium 26″ rims on nice hubs with decent tyres.

teethgrinder

27.5 BFe and Yari, with 26″ wheels.

It’s mint.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on 26″ frame please.’ is closed to new replies.