Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice for tubeless replacement
  • marshtern
    Free Member

Hi, would appreciate any help if somebody can?

I’ve been riding tubeless for a couple of years on Hutchinson Cobras without a glitch. When the time came to change tyres I couldn’t find Cobras so I got a Continental RaceKing (can’t remember why – they aren’t ‘tubeless ready’).

The Continental inflated OK and I’ve covered maybe 100 miles on it, but there is a slow leak which generally results in a flat over approx. 24 hours.

When in water I can see the air escaping via the rim through where the spokes fit. I assume the valve is OK, and the tyre itself is OK.

Question is do you think the tyre is a write off or should I look more at the rim tape?

TIA
    Steve

malv173
    Free Member

I’d try retaping first. Or even just add a bit more sealant, and see if that works.

stumpy01

If it’s leaking through the spoke holes, it’s either the seating of the valve, or the rim tape is letting air past.

I would check the valve first & perhaps nip up the fastening nut a little.
    If that doesn’t solve it, then it might just need a re-tape.

desperatebicycle

Add more sealant first, as said.

I had a front tyre that deflated overnight. I simply emptied the dregs of a bottle of sealant (like, I dunno -20ml?) and it stopped it.

marshtern
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for responding.

I have checked the valve and tightened the fastening nut.

I don’t want to buy another tyre as I quite like it (running on inner tube at the moment) but I really prefer tubeless.

I’m going to try re-taping. It’s had quite a bit of sealant in it already. Maybe more would help but I think retape will be first job.

susepic

If it’s leaking through the rim it sounds like it’s not the tyre at issue…..

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been riding tubeless for a couple of years on Hutchinson Cobras without a glitch.

Had the bead fully seated all the way round? Sometimes it looks like it has and it just isn’t right and won’t move when inflated and riding.

Deflate, spray with washing up liquid/water and then re inflate, pump until you hear it ping. Spin wheel and leave it for 24 hours and see if that’s sorted it. If it hasn’t, try 2 layers of rim tape.

Good luck.

sotonkona
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my rear wheel last weekend when changing tyres. I had to remove all the rim tape, wash the wheel, clean out where the spokes fit (I found sealant had got in there which was likely the issue) and thoroughly dry it. I left it in the sun for a few hours, then cleaned the rim with rubbing alcohol so there was absolutely no residue left and applied new rim tape, with a layer of electrical tape on top and a blast of the hairdryer! New tyre inflated perfectly with the track pump after that. Was a bit time consuming, but it was worth it.

cookeaa

I would re-tape it, odds are it was nicely trapped under the old tyres bead so the adhesive going off a bit didn’t affect it, as soon as you disturbed it to change the tyres it was able to develop a bit of a leak path somewhere…

so the best bet is to clean the rim up thoroughly and apply fresh tape.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.