• This topic has 142 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Ads help us run this site….
  • Cougar

OK. I don’t seriously consider that the forum/site would actually try to increase click-through revenue by misclicks caused by ads jumping around and/or appearing from nowhere.

There we go, then. (-:

When I get exasperated, in real life as well as on the Looking Glass world that is STW, I often resort to being a bit sarcastic and flippant. In real life, I often smile to people as I’m doing this as a bit of humour can lighten the mood if I am making a complaint.

As do I.

You can mention “Hanlon’s Razor” if you like – although I haven’t got a clue what it is – but I suspect it is something that forum elites everywhere use as a sort of in-joke put-down(?) I’m not even interested enough to google it to help compose a retort…

You probably should – it was a comment about the forum rather than about your good self.

Interesting that the likes of Jamie can make witty asides about this stuff without being ‘Cougared’ though

No cliques here. I’ve “Cougared” 😆 Jamie in the past, I’m sure.  I don’t generally pay sufficient attention to individual usernames to keep track (case in point, I don’t know offhand who I’m actually replying to here, I’d have to scroll back to check your username).

dannyh
    Free Member

There we go, then.

Only up to a point – all I admitted to was being flippant and sarcastic in my delivery – the core issues are unaltered. I apologise for being flippant and sarcastic. I am not (and was not) trolling, however. We can get into the semantics of ‘trolling’ if necessary, but hopefully not. I was not being flippant and sarcastic just to illicit a response – I was trying to get a point across in a (probably ill-advised) jokey way.

Please don’t conflate the reasons for the earache you lot are getting with the people who are giving it. The reason in 95%+ of the cases is just people telling you about problems they actually experience. Sorry to be blunt, but the STW forum is really not that important to me, and I won’t be spending any more of my time on this thread. If things carry on as they have for the last 8 months, I will probably just drift away and eventually stop using it altogether. I don’t have a ‘P’ so maybe Mark wouldn’t be massively bothered, but if enough non-‘P’ users do likewise it cannot but reflect badly.

I am trying to be constructive (although my manner on my original post might have got things off on the wrong foot).

Cougar

No apologies required, but thanks.

It’s very difficult to express (and indeed, read) subtlety and nuance in written communication.  I’m at least as guilty of it as you and many others, I default to assuming that people know me / know I’m probably just being sarky or otherwise not serious, which is demonstrably not the case.

Conversely, I perhaps tend to be literal in reading others’ posts (something I hadn’t really realised until just now).  I should probably try to apply my own logic to everyone else….

regenesis
    Free Member

Logic?

This is STW….

BTW – site disappears on refresh yet again on IOS12 and Safari

Drac

iOS 12? Hasn’t the beta been pulled for that?

dissonance

The latest beta has but think it just went back to an older one.

With that said though complaining about a site not working with a beta version of an OS seems a tad unfair.

chipster

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Icondissonance
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

With that said though complaining about a site not working with a beta version of an OS seems a tad unfair.

</div>

I’m pleased I’m not an iOS 12 user, I wouldn’t know wtf you were on about. 🤡

Drac

Ah I seen something pop up on my newsfeed earlier but given I don’t download them as well they tend not be supported fully. As perfectly demonstrated.

slackalice
    Free Member

TL;DR.

I may be late to the party in many respects, however, I’ve just discovered a cool thing when viewing the forum on an iPad in portrait… Maybe I’m the only one who didn’t realise this, in which case, I do now and realise why it’s the cool thing that’s not talked about. First rules and all that.

Anyway, as you were 😃

regenesis
    Free Member

Its doing it on IOS 11.4 too so not just 12.

iPhone 12

iPad 11.4

Was mentioned 3wks ago and 2 weeks ago and last week…..

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m on 10.3.3 Nothing but old skool here 😆

Drac

I’ve upgraded to 11.4.1 test it, I thought they said it was fixed recently.

regenesis
    Free Member

No idea Drac – interestingly, if you tap the bottom right to view tabs its shows the site page you’re on BUT tap on the page and its blank.

No “back” option, empty address bar, etc its as if you’ve opened a complete new page.

Drac

Sorry all working good on my iPad Pro.

Metasequoia

Seems to me its pretty simple for many of us.  Most are here because they ride mountain bikes, if they like what they see it they subscribe to the magazine or the website for a few quid per year to they can read articles and not see as many ads on the forum or site.  They enjoy supporting singletrackworld, going to events, supporting our pastime/sport.  I’m perplexed how many people contribute to a forum but don’t seem to actually value any of the professionally created content and then expect to be rewarded for sharing their opinions. ho hum, maybe I’ll go for a night ride- its a lovely warm clear night here on the ridgeway…..

scotroutes

I’m perplexed how many people contribute to a forum but don’t seem to actually value any of the professionally created content

For me, I find more interesting/relevant stuff in other places – including the forum.

then expect to be rewarded for sharing their opinions.

Rewarded? I’m not aware that anyone is looking to be rewarded for using the forum. It’s the sharing of opinions on this forum that draws in the number of users, that makes the advertisers pay to advertise to us and all of that keeps the magazine afloat. I guess the question for you is – how much more would you be willing to pay for that professionally created content if the forum wasn’t subsidising it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah it misses the point completely doesn’t it, if your putting ads in the forum or charging for no ads then it’s there to make cash/fund something. The content people provide by arguing and being helpful generates income for STW.

If it doesn’t work well (except on Dracs Ipad) then people will get pissed off.

sbob
    Free Member

I don’t know offhand who I’m actually replying to here, I’d have to scroll back to check your username

Only ’cause there isn’t a working quote function. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

If all that is wanted is a forum, it’s pretty easy to set one up.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

The reason that singletrack has managed to live for this long is (imo) the forum.

It’s actually a great place with mostly down to earth conversations about, well, everything.  The main reason it lives is the core user base.

If enough people leave there will be less content generated, meaning it’s more boring for the people who stay, who then leave, and so on.

FWIW I think what the stw guys are doing is the correct thing to do. I’ve been a magazine subscriber in the past for a year or two. The magazine really is great I should really subscribe again, but the main reason I come here is for the forum tbh.

DrJ

Well what fun – now all the threads show “1 post” with random-ish freshness

regenesis
    Free Member

Back doing the “disappearing on refresh” thing again….

Drac

Well what fun – now all the threads show “1 post” with random-ish freshness

There was a database error yesterday morning which is why some could not see the link to the forums.

Yeah, it’s not just me it works for but you know that,

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Ads help us run this site….’ is closed to new replies.