Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Adding disc mounts to a steel frame.. who does it in Scotland?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I have an old 1995 Stumjumper that I was trying to sell.. which it didn’t.

So I was thinking of having some rear disc mounts welded on to the frame and swapping the old forks for a carbon rigid with disc mounts to enable the old cantilever brakes to be ditched.

Is there anywhere a bit closer to home here in sunny Dundee than Argos cycles etc that does this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ben cooper @ kinetics in glasgow perhaps.

hopefiendboy

Shand cycles?

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Do you have a spoon to hand?

epicyclo
    zigzag69
    Free Member

Did you try selling it on retrobike?

nickjb
    Free Member

Specialized made an adaptor to go on some of their frames. Yours might be a little early, though. Telltale sign is an extra hole on the left dropout. The adaptors are very hard to find now, though.

the-muffin-man

I wouldn’t bother. Frames of that vintage weren’t built to take the strains of a rear disc brake. Dropouts are small and seatstays tend to be very slim where they meet the dropout.

Disc up front and rear v-brake should give plenty of braking power.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The cost of the conversion and effort involved is probably not worth it. Given that you were trying to sell I take it there is no emotional attachment. A Stumpy will always sell, were you pitching it a bit high? Also any modern fork like the carbon ones you mentioned might rake the front out and you end up with a bit of a pig.

There should be plenty nice 26″ steel bikes out there for not much money. Disk conversion might run to £50/60. Refinishing at least £20. Carbon forks around a ton? Then disk brakes and wheels another ton? A 95 Stumpy in fair condition should reach a couple of hundred depending on the ‘upgrades’.

epicyclo

I might add I got round this problem by using a Sturmey-Archer drum brake for the rear. Plenty power as a rear brake, and no rim wear.

philjunior
    Free Member

If you want a 1 1/8th non-suspension corrected steel disc brake fork I have one from a Carrera Subway kicking about in the garage somewhere that I could let go for a pretty nominal fee!
    The canti mounted adaptors would definitely be fine, others should still be fine to take a disc as they’ll have something to spread the torque a little at least.
    That said, others might have a point that maybe selling it for less could be a good idea.

1981miked
    Free Member

I was asking £200 which I don’t think was overly excessive for a well restored Stumpy, it had Rhond forks, USE seatpost and full LX and I put Exotic carbon bars on it for some added comfort, also put a charge spoon saddle on it as the old one was wrecked.

I was thinking it may not be worth doing, it won’t be used for anything other than towpath rides band maybe the odd jaunt round the local woods etc which are far from hard work. Just fancied the reliability of disc brakes.

But I’m guessing by the time I buy wheels, brakes and pay for the conversion I could have a more modern frame and just swap what I can over.

leffeboy

I looked at something similar for a pre disk tandem and opted for magura hydraulics as a half way house.  They still work really well

1981miked
    Free Member

Ah never thought of that. I’ll have a look and see what I can come up with.

Drac

Hmmmm! Not sure if I still have an adapter for a Rockhopper to disc, I’ll take a look tomorrow.

kcal

to the poster above — “the-muffin-man” – one reason I despair of getting my two 1990s bikes out, one a Kilaeua, one a ’98 alloy M2 – they both have disc brakes up front, but in the glaur of winter, when SS should come into its own, I resent and wince going through the mud and hearing the rim, / braking surface getting a good grinding…

the-muffin-man

I resent and wince going through the mud and hearing the rim, / braking surface getting a good grinding…

..better that than the sound of a rear drop-out separating itself from the chainstays! 🙂

P20

My old bonty (converted by previous owner) survived without issue.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4qJZgy]Bonty Disc[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

nedrapier

I wouldn’t bother. Frames of that vintage weren’t built to take the strains of a rear disc brake. Dropouts are small and seatstays tend to be very slim where they meet the dropout.

I’ve got a ’99 dekerf. V brakes, Slim stays and dinky dropouts. After thinking carefully about this:

I’m guessing by the time I buy wheels, brakes and pay for the conversion I could have a more modern frame and just swap what I can over.

which is a very good point indeed, I went and did it anyway. It was expensive, but I’m delighted with it. still delighted 5 years later. The frame contains actual magic, and I never even put the Reynolds sticker on. And I can get a 2.4 in the back no bother at all, rather than having to deflate anything bigger than a 2.0 to get it past the brake blocks.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m guessing by the time I buy wheels, brakes and pay for the conversion I could have a more modern frame and just swap what I can over.

You could probably buy a late 26in complete full sus bike, yeah.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Adding disc mounts to a steel frame.. who does it in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.