Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Acer Iconia A500 Tablet v Xoom v Samsung Galaxy
  • fenred
    Free Member

Just about to press the ‘buy’ button on the Acer but I’m still hovering between this and a Xoom or the Sammy. The iconia is a fair bit cheaper and ticks the right boxes

Anybody had experience of the above that can give me a real world opinion? It’ll mostly be used for sofa-surfing and a bit of multimedia.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

think the Xoom might be a safer buy due to google having bought the motorola division that builds the xoom (I think that is right)

wooobob

I’ve got an Acer. I really like it: good screen, good speakers (for what they are worth), and I really don’t think that much beats it on the hardware side for that money. It’s a little bit bulkier than some (eg ipad) but it’s cheaper. Still looks and feels well-built and pretty slick. Honeycomb is still evolving (but each upgrade adds new features) and the relative lack of Honeycomb-specific apps is one possible drawback, but for what you are looking at I would recommend it – and hopefully future upgrades will work for a while to come and the apps will only increase in quantity and quality.

Drawbacks – the camera’s not great, but I have a camera for taking photos. Battery life is not amazing, I just charge it overnight.

On the Xoom – I’m not sure that Google’s acquisition of Motorola will have much impact on the current tablet. It was all designed and built a while back.

Hope that helps.

fenred
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Good stuff wooobob, thanks for that it definately helps…£299 for the 16gb sounds a steal so I appreciate your input!

clubber
    Free Member
    fenred
    Free Member

Thanks clubber.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Google’s acquisition of Motorola will have much impact on the current tablet

no, but it might mean that os upgrades for the Xoom are more forthcoming.

Not sure what acer are like but samsung tend to drop support from stuff that isn’t very old, I think.

Being that it is linked to google it might get out to the hands of more developers, was all I was thinking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Acer Iconia A500 Tablet v Xoom v Samsung Galaxy’ is closed to new replies.