Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 242 total)
  • absent regulars?
  • piemonster

Unpaid? I heard that Drac is on a salary that would make a Premiership footballer blush.

A Mod, earlier today

theboatman
    Free Member

Well, when i said ‘felt sorry’ and ‘worried’, i just thought that was a bit more polite than saying i just thought he was a bit sad and mental. I’ll keep it concise next time 🙂

CountZero

If you’re not interested in something, don’t read it; it’s not mandatory to read every thread on the forum. Maybe that’s just me being odd.

Anything to do with Wendyball gets treated with contempt. Everything else gets a quick shufti, just in case. On occasion, that’s provided lots of genuine entertainment.
    A bit like the thread under discussion, as it happens… 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve stumbled upon some great threads by accident, but generally don’t bother if I don’t think I’ll be interested.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve stumbled upon some great threads by accident, but generally don’t bother if I don’t think I’ll be interested.

You’d struggle to stumble across the most interesting in recent times – it’s just been zapped 😥

singletracked
    Free Member

Which one was that?

bearnecessities

[Closed]

zokes
    Free Member

The masterpiece about a bloke’s failing long distance ‘relationship’ with a South African

singletracked
    Free Member

Ah yes! It was great. This forum was much better 20 minutes ago.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ah yes! It was great. This forum was much better 20 minutes ago.

Indeed, I was just about to get on to the last page, when oops, the page has gone. Someone needs to write a script that archives threads before they get deleted so we can all laugh at them in our own good time. That thread definitely made me lol.

singletracked
    Free Member

lol ist VERBOTEN!!

RustySpanner

Yeah, you came acropolis with that one.

jota180
    Free Member

Google makes a reasonable hash at it, but sadly only the front page:

Now if you were to append your search with */page/*
    You’ll find many options 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Last attempt at this question – did the Sweary stuff lead to full or temporary bans? Anyone know?

hora
    Free Member

Why upset STW? Must be hard enough knocking out mag content to be also policing what people post on here. Why become a big-hitter? Just calm down FFS.

duirdh
    Free Member

You swear all you like Teamhurtmore, it’s only really after some prick reports you the mods step in and even then they’ll be more lenient with some than others.. their ball and all that 😉

zokes
    Free Member

You’ll find many options

The power of google is weak in me, it seems

Junkyard
    Free Member

did the Sweary stuff lead to full or temporary bans? Anyone know?

Tempfor the OP no idea re the rest but i imagine temp as well

piemonster

Sigh, this forums not what it used to be

I miss earlier this morning

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Duirdh, (????) you obviously don’t agree with hora then!!!

Hora +1 as I do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Out of interest how many bans have you had [ to both Hora and THM] ?

I very much doubt you are paragons here despite your advice to us.

piemonster

teasel
    Free Member

Duirdh, (????)

I like Duirdh. He’s like Druidh’s evil twin; a warped mirror-version, if you like. When I first read one of his posts I thought Druidh had necked a bottle of cheap whisky or some marching powder, maybe…

njee20
    Free Member

The Google Cache only seems to go up to page 5 dammit! Very odd indeed!

hora
    Free Member

Out of interest how many bans have you had [ to both Hora and THM]

Two. Fred complained about me – short ban.

FrenchJuan complained when I finally raised to his bait and replied

‘do you use Jack Daniels and freetranslation when you post on STW’?

The fact that I can remember them both says alot.

binners

ton

i am missing flash……it is friday and we dont have a sporty picture thread.
    this could cause me to go into a carb eating meltdown……. 🙁

teasel
    Free Member

This place needs a yawning emoticon…

bikebouy
    Free Member

This place needs a crying emoticon

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ditto, but dont take offence JY as my +1 was really referring to hora’s first two sentences above, not the last two. Why deliberately annoy the people who provide/mod the forum? I doesn’t make sense. They do a v good job. Same, as not learning when the ban hammer strikes – doesn’t make sense. Infringing makes that clearer, or at least should do, shouldn’t it?

OOI, are abbreviations of swear words ok do you think?

hora
    Free Member

Oh- I was also banned twice for posting wanted ads in the for sale section. I finally learnt though. The second ban was when I mistakingly posted from a small-screen/phone! 😳

binners

Indeed. it does seem like going into your favourite pub, then sitting at the bar and making obscene comments about the landlady, until you get barred

singletracked
    Free Member

Why deliberately annoy the people who provide/mod the forum? I doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure there are many who do this, but it is difficult to predict what will annoy the providers / mods. It’s a bit like living in an abusive relationship where things can be going along happily, then without realising it you appear to have transgressed in some way and are punished or have your actions curtailed. Then if you dare to question why you are being treated as such, you are further punished. I don’t say this as a criticism. I think it’s a fantastic way to run the forum.

glupton1976
    Free Member

TJ made this comment to me on Facebook, I thought it was interesting:

Hi TJ here
    I still have a read now and then and read the thread on absent regulars so I thought I would share a few thoughts
    On moderation on here – on the whole I think its fine but clearly it can end up inconsistent and sometimes individuals get singled out for different treatment which I think is wrong. However you have to remember this is STWs playground and they set the rules. I do think tho they sometimes forget that the popularity of the forum depends on the quality of its posters and their posts.
    As for myself – apart from posting an inappropriate joke years ago I had never had a post deleted, never had a thread locked and up until 6 months before my banning never had a warning nor ban. Many folk have had far more short bans than I received and behave far worse
    After the initial warnings / bans I received I did modify my behaviour dramatically but it was clear they were looking for an excuse to get rid of me. I apparently was the single most complained about person. I did suggest that I perhaps should report the nasty coterie of bullies who went out of their way to attack me and was told this was fine. Later I was told that I took up too much of the mods time and all protection from the mods would be withdrawn. Ie the bullies could do what the wanted to do to me but I could neither argue back nor report them. At this point it became clear that no matter what I did I was going to be got rid of.
    One of the bullies in particular is either a stealth mod or a friend of the mods I am sure who is posting under a new name. He appeared on the forum already knowing about all the regulars. He continued to make deliberate personal attacks on me and one day I let rip at him. I was told we were both banned for life but he reappeared after 3 days.
    Now I do understand why I was banned to some extent but I dislike the hypocrisy in that some posters are treated differently to others and that it became clear that whilst I had changed my behaviour significantly in line with what the mods wanted there as no way I was going to be allowed to stay no matter what I did.
    It rankles that people who behave far worse than I ever did with malicious personal attacks are allowed to stay but I was not.
    I have not attempted to return under a new name – despite the success of several others who have had life bans but have returned under new names. I do not attempt to deceive people and thus would not do this.
    One day I will ask to return perhaps – but not yet and I doubt I will be allowed.

teasel
    Free Member

Defo need a yawny-face…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have you considered stopping reading the thread you find so dull?

It’s a bit like living in an abusive relationship where things can be going along happily, then without realising it you appear to have transgressed in some way and are punished or have your actions curtailed. Then if you dare to question why you are being treated as such, you are further punished. I don’t say this as a criticism. I think it’s a fantastic way to run the forum.

Aye it is and funny description 😀

I cannot alter my behaviour to their rules when their rules and standards are so unclear. When I get banned my usual reaction is – WTF rather than I must not do that again.

As i keep saying i think it is due to many mods rather than anything systematic

nedrapier

“but not yet”

Is that some kind of reverse flounce, or meta-flounce?

jamj1974

TJ makes some interesting observations. I spent a lot of time ‘lurking’ on this forum before joining and reading about the experiences of others – including TJ are what made it an interesting place to contribute to, rather than just view.

I understand why moderation and banning can and should on occasion happen – but in principle disagree that this is ‘their forum’. A forum is nothing without content and the content is provided by users not often by STW.

STW is the vehicle not the journey…

Jamie
    Free Member

This place needs a crying emoticon

It has one.

😥

Defo need a yawny-face…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘absent regulars?’ is closed to new replies.