Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Aberfoyle on hols. What to do?
  • MrSparkle

We (me, wife and two dogs) are going to Aberfoyle on holiday. We are taking my gravel bike, fell shoes and possibly a paddleboard. Please recommend stuff to do – bike routes, run routes, walking routes, where to paddleboard, pubs, food, must see places etc etc.
    Thanks

DickBarton

Go Ape; plenty hills for walking/running up and over; plenty forests to walk/run/ride around. Loads of biking – gravel and technical stuff. Some good food can be had in the local eateries, the butcher is very good. Plenty water to be using as well – Loch Ard has plenty spots – although Kinlochard probably easiest for getting into the water (but can be busy at weekends or holidays, so get there early).

a11y

Waymarked gravel routes, fill yer boots: https://www.gravelfoyle.com/

stevie750

https://gocountry.co.uk/product/waterpark-wipeout-challenge/

This is good and harder than it looks

Also was told there is a blue green algae bloom in loch Ard so check before you lets the dogs in

MrSparkle

Noted. Thank you.

llama

planning a visit next year, so bookmarking

bigyan
    Free Member

Loch Ard is nice to paddle round, go out to the jump rock if you like swimming, going through the narrows always feels cool. Loch Venacher, Loch Katrine, Lake of Menteith, Loch Chon are all close for a paddle.

Aberfoyle Deli/Butcher if you want a bacon roll (meat cut in front of you)

Gravelfoyle has become quite popular. Loads of hills to walk/cycle/run. Range from forest fire road, to proper technical MTB descents.

Go Ape is good fun.

matt_outandabout

Ard is great to paddle.
    Other places to paddle:
    – Loch Katrine – you can get in near the steamer at East end, but they can get twitchy and you do need to have common sense to stay out the way to allow big boat to get through the channels. Nice islands, opens into BIG loch very quickly, and I have once had HUGE unexpected waves on there.
    – Loch Katrine – Stronlochar – a couple of places to launch away from the pier, some lovely bits to explore. There will be no-one else out at that end.
    – Loch Chon – nice enough, but I find the launch from the carpark/wild camp to be rather dog and human shit laden these days.
    – Arklet – a nice enough if rather barren spot. Meh.
    – Lomond – from the hotel at Inversnaid is really nice, and c’mon, it is Lomond which just makes it a nice paddle.
    – Loch Drunkie – ace wee loch hidden on the forest drive. Likely you will have the place to yourself. Proper hideaway place.
    – Loch Archray – is great to explore. Plus you can paddle to the river, get out at the bridge and enjoy THE BEST ice creams at the farm (owner is on STW and a biker…) https://achrayfarm.co.uk/icecream/

MrSparkle

Thanks all. Some good ideas there. I see it’s not a million miles from the Arrochar Alps so maybe I’ll finally get to go up the Cobbler (missus).

matthewlhome
    Free Member

+1000000 for the Achray ice cream. We were up there a couple of weeks ago on the forest drive and the well trained cute goats held us up enough so we stopped for an ice cream. Best I’ve cream I’ve had – my 12yr old daughter who doesn’t like any ice cream anywhere even had some and said it was great. Which was a big shock- need to find some goats milk ice cream in Lincolnshire now.

MrSparkle

Update for anyone interested:
    We ended up not taking a paddleboard and my wife decided she didn’t want to hire one so we skipped that.
    What we did do:
    A mooch round Stirling on the way to Aberfoyle. We’ve been a few times before but it’s an interesting place.
    Had a night in the Forth Inn on the weekend of the Dukes Weekender so chatted to quite a few folk about gravel biking etc. A good night. The ‘Bitter and twisted’ is a decent pint.
    Walked in the forest morning and night with the dogs. Saw red squirrels at the wildlife hide.
    Other walks through to forest and by the lochs and lochans, including visiting Fairy Know and Doon Hill to see the offerings tied to trees. :-0
    Did all three course of the permanent orienteering. Maps from the Lodge visitor centre. NB – the Difficult one is difficult!
    Rode up the Dukes Pass to Brig o’ Turk and failed to find the ice cream place (dammit!) so rode on towards Callender and then back to Aberfoyle on the NCN7 through the forest. Big props to my wife for doing this on her road bike with 25mm slicks as it’s a bit rocky, bumpy and hilly!
    I did all the way marked gravel routes. The return leg from the Lomond route is a lot of fun.
    We did Go Ape. I wasn’t all that bothered but Cath decided that she wanted to face her fears and have a go and I’m glad we did. It was a good afternoon out.
    We went up to Arrochar and up the Cobbler. This was ace. A nice exposed scramble up to the summit and fantastic views.

So, all in all a bloody good trip. It helped that we had decent weather but lot’s to do and see there. Recommended.

matt_outandabout

🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just back from Comrie/Aberfoyle/Dunkeld. The ice cream was a highlight, thanks for the recommendation.

geomickb
    Free Member

Any flattish family rides around there?

DickBarton

Define ‘flattish’, there are several roads round the lochs, but they aren’t flat flat…

matt_outandabout

^ indeed, there’s lots of family ride options. But tell us more about age of kids and how far or technical they are used to riding.

MrSparkle

geomickb – the ‘Faerie’ waymarked gravel ride is pretty flat. https://www.gravelfoyle.com/waymarked-routes

There is a cyclepath along the side of the river Forth down to Cobleland and then there are pretty quiet back roads to explore out to Drymen.

geomickb
    Free Member

Thanks.

She is 7 and currently not keen for cycling very far (just got first Frog with gears and they are pretty stiff)!

Hills and technical will be tricky but I will take the FollowMe and tow if i have to.

Cycle round a loch would be good.

Just wondering if it is worth taking all the bikes.

Just had a quick look at the link, the Faerie trail could be perfect! Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.