Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • aarrrrggghhhh, Age categories for MTB racing
  • spev

So, im currently 49, I turn 50 on May 27th 2020, so do I enter Vets as I’m 49 on the 1st Jan or do I enter Grand Vets as I’ll be 50 for the majority of the year (and races). I’ve looked at the BCF and it mentions birthdays and when the fall for under 19’s but there’s little clarification for old sods like me. I could avoid this by a.Not Racing or b.Enter Hardtails (as that’s what i’ll be on)

Anybody help> Iv’e googled but failed so far to find clarification

tomhoward

You go to the older category in the year of your 50th. So from 1st Jan 2020 you’ll be a grand vet, according to British cycling.

Other bodies/organisers may do it differently.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m amazed you didn’t top yourself once you became a Master at the age of 30. I was saved this indignity when the SXC canned the masters category.

I’d go by your age on the same date as the U19s.

therevokid
    Free Member

crap – I’m nudging super veteran !!!

footflaps

I raced Sport as a Master, much fairer competition, Masters / Vets is full of ex-Elites looking to sandbag easy wins. The decent Elites, eg Nick Craig, still raced Elite even though they could have easily won another category.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m already super-veteran 😓

spev

Cheers all.
    I only started racing DH and enduro in my forties (mostly Winter DH and Mini DH with the odd enduro if its somewhere interesting), not discgraced myself yet (4th overall for one winter series, not achieved that heady height since mind)
    GRAND VETS HERE I COME 🙂

jamesoz

I raced Sport as a Master, much fairer competition, Masters / Vets is full of ex-Elites looking to sandbag easy wins. The decent Elites, eg Nick Craig, still raced Elite even though they could have easily won another category.

Amusing to look at times in the fun Cats, which often would trouble podiums in most of the age Cats.

I’m just bitter as I’m the wrong end of Veterans now.

Jordan

I’ve entered a few enduros for next year, first ever bike races of any kind. In grand vets at 56. Don’t stand a chance really so just in it for fun. Most grand vets I’ve seen seem to be pretty fit and have well honed skills. I have neither of those. Will just be happy to finish in one piece.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Masters / Vets is full of ex-Elites looking to sandbag easy wins.

Masters, yes. But there’s no sandbagging in Vets races these days, the top 5 could easily top 20 Elite. A Vet win is pukka now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘aarrrrggghhhh, Age categories for MTB racing’ is closed to new replies.