Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A-Line Mega Train!
  • Phototim
    Free Member

Just picked this up off Facebook, a friend of mine helped organise. Sums up the Whistler season thing!

[video]http://vimeo.com/16010335[/video]

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That’s not a Mega Train, that’s a Cluster ****. Some proper **** in there too. “Stop breaking!”, “Stop pedalling” was a good exchange.

t_i_m
    Free Member

nightmare. I’d be the one on the empty trail next to it 8)

jimmy

what t_i_m said.

njee20
    Free Member

That makes me want to go and ride there, lots!

But… I thought it would be a mega tech-fest, that all looked very very rideable on any ‘normal’ bike, I didn’t see anything there that commanded a full face/8″ travel bike, ok there’s a few ‘gnarly’ lines, but it’s in the minority.

Looks awesome either way, but what a sh1t way to ride it, why would you want to ride down in a massive group!?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I so want to go there. Looks like Llandegla on a bank holiday weekend with all those folk on it though…

bullandbladder
    Free Member

This is more like it though… http://www.vimeo.com/1764065

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That’s not a Mega Train, that’s a Cluster ****.

Given that jey-claw and possibly walleater were in the lift queue, clusterf’k is probably an understatement. 🙂

rs
    Free Member

that just demonstrates what I hate about the bike park, too f#$$%$g busy!

Trails are fun though!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps i’ve missed something, but that looked VERY smooth and could be ridden fully rigid.
    Certainly saw no reason for body armour and full facers.
    Looked fun though.

Phototim
    Free Member

A-line is all rollable apart from the optional drop you see when the two trails come together (and the GLC drop at the end). Best bike for it is something lively and fun like a bottle rocket or sx trail. You don’t need a DH bike for a lot of stuff, you can just go a lot faster in the tech if you do have one! There is a whole range of trails there building from super easy right up proper tech.

Kit
    Free Member

Perhaps there are other trails at Whistler? Or is that a crazy idea! 😉

Blower
    Free Member

Llandgla 😀

El-Zilcho
    Free Member

Looks mad, yet strangely fun.

Reminds me of my nurburgring trip a few weeks a go. In that it was far too busy, yet ammusingly fun, in a scary way.

Think I’d quite like a trip to Whistler, that video made it all look very doable too, in fact it looked quite easy. Though I imagine it looks much more imposing in real life, especially when you’re as useless as I am!

Phototim
    Free Member

A-line is not something to ride on a hot August Saturday, loads of riders come up from Vancouver and just lap it. 130 riders in a train though is a bit of an exception. 10 riders in a train is a buzz, 130 would just be nuts!

Perhaps i’ve missed something, but that looked VERY smooth and could be ridden fully rigid.

Its smooth when its been groomed but can get pretty beaten up with braking bumps. If you hit the jumps and carry the speed then the full face is a grand idea!

KonaTC

Nice to see its not only in the UK that slow riders push in…

other than that “awesome”

psychle
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqh0ju5Z2o[/video]

This is more like it…

Phototim
    Free Member

Think I’d quite like a trip to Whistler, that video made it all look very doable too, in fact it looked quite easy. Though I imagine it looks much more imposing in real life, especially when you’re as useless as I am!

No one should ever be intimidated by it, just go and enjoy! There are people in the park who have never mountain biked before. You’ve also got some properly nice cross country trails all around too.

El-Zilcho
    Free Member

Ha. I don’t think I would be intimidated by it, I’d give it a go.
    I stand by the useless comment though!

These helmet cam videos do seem to have a knack for making trails look smoother and flatter than they are (or at least feel) in real life however.

oldfart

i didn,t do the mega train ’cause i figgered i would fog it up for everyone !but i will say that if a 54 year committed uk xc /trail rider who rides like a girl can survive 5 1/2 MONTHS !!!! in Whistler and have a ball then you lot should be fine !my total run count in the park was 260 laps as well as a hell of a lot of XC throughout the Whistler valley ,Squamish and Pemberton !
    Just some friendly advice though .A Line is a great example of groomed machine built riding .But don’t let fool you .Once you venture onto XC trails that are classed as Black and DOUBLE BLACK !!!!you will need your wits about you !A couple of good examples are Cream Puff , Squamish (fall line descent )and Comfortably Numb which though not overly tech will take 4 hours plus for 24kms riding !
    Finally if you go sell your granny to get a Float Plane to Lake Tyax then do Gun Creek Trail .3 – 4 hours of heavenly descending ,stunning views ,alpine meadows and woodsy loamy singletrack ! 😀

Kuco

A-line if it is groomed is smooth but can also be rough as **** and is responsible for a lot of broken bones and other injuries each year.

Could have something to do with it being an organised ride hence the big sign at the start saying ‘Mega Train 3pm’ Go on Schleyer or Goats gully or any of the upper trails especially if it’s been raining and you could see hardly anyone.

swavis

You can get out of your depth and overcook it very easily too as this clip of me following a mate shows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcMf8AcDhE

I think it also demonstrates the need for a decent helmet 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Nice trail, terrible crash video, you don’t see anything!

project
    Free Member

WIMPS, i could ride ll that wih one arm tied to my side, and a replacement rear jockey wheel.lol.

Great vid and music though.

Burts
    Free Member

I’d be the one on the empty trail next to it

I was the one on the empty trail next to it. Crank It Up was fantastically quiet at 3pm that day. :o)

swavis

Nice trail, terrible crash video, you don’t see anything!

If I’d kept up with him I’d have missed out on the next days ride in Squamish as well 😆

Northwind

Ah come on folks, where’s your soul, that looked like total chaos but also pretty damn cool I thought. It’s not just about the riding…

snakebite
    Free Member

j-cloth is there at 14 seconds, look for the double chin…

Hwulex
    Free Member

Glad people liking the video but you folks make a lot of judgments about a place based on one snippet. Couple points I’d like to raise:

– It’s that busy because, as Kuco highlighted, it was an organised event. Mid-summer there are a lot of people on the trail but nothing like this. Low-season you can rip the whole thing and not see anyone.
    – A-Line is like downhill BMX. It’s a high-speed jump trail which is not technically difficult but the jumps are big steep. If you know what you’re doing, it’s a lot of fun on a hardtail.
    – The reason we did the Mega Train on A-Line is because it is the safest, but still fun, trail on which to do something like that. Imagine sending 135 people down one of the trails pictured below. Death. A-Line is within most people’s abilities and even those it’s normally beyond they could still join in as it’s all rollable and there was no pressure to be acing the whole trail.
    – A-Line is just one of a huge mix of trails available on Whistler. There’s a lot more if you’re in to it:

Maybe see some of you in the park next year? Mega Train 2011 will be bigger for sure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=735511437389&subj=511573554

No idea how to get video’s out of facebook, but heres some more riding from a mear mortal

Northwind

Heh, I love that in Hwulex’s first picture, it has MBUK-style camera tilting… Except that it’s tilted the opposite way, so it makes it look LESS steep than usual :mrgreen: And it’s still pretty bastard steep.

5AM
    Free Member

Those are some great pictures!! Wish I was there now…

Lifer
    Free Member

Fun! Good job

Konastoner
    Free Member

Brings back memories…………..of 3 weeks ago! 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A-Line Mega Train!’ is closed to new replies.