Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • a dislike of hope hubs. (divorvce imminent).
  • ton

my wife is threatening divorce, she can no longer bear the shockingly annoying buzz/whir/sound from my rear hope hub.
    and after not using hope hubs for years and now having them….I feel I may divorce my self.

truly THE most annoying thing in cycling ever……….FACT

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I dont like loud hubs either. I like the nice quiet tick of an XT. 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Much quieter if you don’t stop pedaling

scotroutes

I chose XTR rather than Hope for my tourer as a result of the noise thing. Handy on busier shared trails though.

tomhoward

Get a chris king? That way the hope will be a breath of fresh (quiet) air?

DickBarton

Chris Kings are worse…

NormalMan

When I’m riding alone it can be a bit annoying.

Although they REALLY annoy one of my riding buddies. Guess which bike I make sure I’m always on when we ride 😉

ton

got xt on both other bikes and they are nice and quiet.

chiefgrooveguru

Put some thicker grease in there!

jekkyl

You’re wrong, the most annoying thing in cycling is those gates on the canal that you have to stop and squeeze your shoulders past.

cp

truly THE most annoying thing in cycling ever

I like the noise 🙂

Also means I don’t need to run a bell when riding in busy locations!

roverpig

Funny, there are few sounds I like more than the buzz of a Hope hub. The sound of freedom.

ads678

My Hope Pro 2 and Superstar Fuel are really loud and can get annoying, but my Hope Bulb makes a lovely noise. Not loud and annoying but a nice low buzz.

I might get it built into a 29er wheel for my solaris.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our dog used to love the sound of a hope freehub. One click was all it took for him to be off his bed and by the bike.

kayak23

Yes, love my Hope buzz. It’s what I rely on to alert walkers to my presence in the absence of a bell.

falkirk-mark

Tell her to speed up so you aren’t freewheeling all the time. If there’s any other marriage guidance help needed just post on here we’ll see what we can do.

jamj1974

Chiefgrooveguru +1

anagallis_arvensis

Put some thicker grease in there!

This

zilog6128

Much quieter if you don’t stop pedaling

+1 They ain’t made for bimblers 😆

andysredmini
    Free Member

It has to be the correct grease though. I bought some xp222 the same stuff as Hope use but even though I completely filled up the freehub insides it was still noisy. I use a Morris red grease now which seems thinner and less sticky but it keeps the hubs absolutely silent. Although I like the noise of a hope hub I love just hearing the sound of the tyres.

zelak999
    Free Member

As others have mentioned above, the noisier the better. It saves having a bell.

lunge

Go fixed, no freehub to buzz then, just the sound of knees creaking.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a known fact that when +1 rider in a group has Hope hubs and the clicks align perfectly, it opens a portal into a 4th dimension.

ElShalimo

Sell the wheelset, or sell the wife
    😉

scandal42
    Free Member

What do you do when you are actually peddling?

ton

Sell the wheelset

that is the plan, just waiting for my new wheels to arrive.

zilog6128

[b]STRAVAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!![/b]

falkirk-mark

Stop pedaling there is someone in front of you that needs to be aware of your presence, are you the guy on the fixie from the other thread?

ton

when peddling the noise is no where as bad.
    and I like a bell. good manners and all that.

beanum

[Pedant Alert]

Its a known fact that when +1 rider in a group has Hope hubs and the clicks align perfectly, it opens a portal into a 4th dimension.

5th dimension shirley? We live in the 4th dimension…

Edit: I’ve just Googled it and it’s not that simple… 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

unge – Member
    Go fixed, no freehub to buzz then, just the sound of knees creaking.

Hands up everyone who wants to see Ton riding fixed!

ton

Hands up everyone who wants to see Ton riding fixed!

haha, I will have you know, that in the 90’s whilst working night shift, I commuted on a dave russel fixie for 3 or so years. I got quite rapid on it.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nobl hubs, totally silent. Or a Profile hub that’s like a swarm of angry Hornets

epicsteve
    Free Member

I commuted on a dave russel fixie for 3 or so years. I got quite rapid on it.

Yes, but could you stop quickly…?

thomthumb
    Free Member

in the 90’s

you started the fixie thing?

ton

in the 90’s

you started the fixie thing?

in the 80’s when I started riding with the ctc, a couple of the old boys rode everything on fixed.

demelitia
    Free Member

You’re wrong, the most annoying thing in cycling is those gates on the canal that you have to stop and squeeze your shoulders past.

Amen. I swear some are just there to advertise the fabricators that have donated them.

poah
    Free Member

I’m too busy having fun to notice noise from my hub

woody74

Would love to support Hope, but totally agree the hub noise is so bloody annoying. Just totally against what I think mountain biking is about. Getting into the peace and quiet of the country side.

Northwind

For non-boost, with the price of DT350 hubs right now Hope really look pretty ropey. The 350s aren’t quite as nice as a 240 but they’re not a kick in the baws off it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘a dislike of hope hubs. (divorvce imminent).’ is closed to new replies.