Home Forums Bike Forum A Cross-Border Bimble (St Cuthberts Way)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A Cross-Border Bimble (St Cuthberts Way)
    vmgscot

On a trip down to Northumberland back in February we got our bikes out on a scenic loop from Lindisfarne to St Cuthberts Cave and discovered this actually formed part of the St Cuthberts Way long distance path. We do like biking the odd “LDP” so plans were hatched to head back and do more with the hope of eventually making it all the way to Melrose.

Here’s a little recap of the journey thus far (with pics). The rides are either out-n-backs or loops if they present themselves on the map.

Lindisfarne to St Cuthberts Cave

We parked at the A1 turn off for Holy Island and headed inland first so our return would coincide with the tide allowing us to cross over to the island. This being England, there were some limitations to how close we could follow the Way but we did what we could involving quiet back roads and bridleways.

Route is well sign posted

The Cave

Interesting rock/water interfacing

Once back to the A1 we headed over for a little loop around Holy Island and reach the official start/end of the St Cuthberts Way. The February weather was stunning.

vmgscot

St Cuthberts Cave to Wooler

It wasn’t until this weekend that we managed to return to Northumberland and continue our little saunter. For the next leg we started from Wooler Common and headed back to the cave, outbound mostly on byways and the return following the Way to the letter (including a little hike-a-bike over Weetwood Bank). Nature highlight was hearing then seeing my very first Common Grasshopper Warbler.

Ah, this is why it’s marked as footpath

Sniper rocks made the Weetwood Bank decent a little tricky

vmgscot

Wooler to Yetholm (the border crossing)

Third ride and parked at Wooler Common again before heading over the moor tops to Yetholm. Never realised Yetholm is the end of the Penine Way.

It’s not all moor top tracks…

Passports please…

We are hoping to head over to the Scottish Borders in July and ride the final couple stages that will take us from Yetholm to Melrose.
    We will update with further pics.

gordimhor

Liking this thread

intheborders
    Free Member

While I live on the actual route (near Melrose) I’ve never ridden it beyond Yetholm, but the rest I’ve ridden in every season & condition.

The route from Yetholm to Melrose is all rideable, I did it a couple of weeks ago, but, it’s not a good time of year to do it as it gets so overgrown (field edges & nettle alleys).  Best time is midwinter with a frost.

Bike-wise, an MTB is fine with an HT ideal, a gravel is doable (but I’d skirt the climbs near Morebattle & the Eildens).

There are a couple of stile/kissing gates that’ll need a lift at, but as it’s Scotland, all legal for a bike.

Shop/Cafe in Yetholm and Morebattle, Cafe at Woodside (near Harestanes) and Shop/Cafe in St Boswells.

Doing a loop I’d be tempted to park in Morebattle then ride St C until you meet Dere Street this side of the river Teviot, then loop up Dere Street until you hit the Howham road, run towards Howhan turning left before Over Witton and cross country to Witton and back to Morebattle.

For the last bit parking at Harestanes running on the St C to Melrose and then there’s various ways back, PM me if you need any help.

dlr

Nice, been meaning to get to that cave. There is a smaller monk made one in Thrunton which is probably inaccessible now since Arwen but I clambered up to it before

iainc

I tried to catch the cave when on a gravel ride last summer, we were staying on hols in Lucker and I rode up to the forest to the west of Belford and Detchant.  Was a great ride, think I posted pics on here, and whilst I saw some signage for the cave, I couldn’t find anything rideable to avoid a km or so across fields, so didn’t bother !

onehundredthidiot

I’d go to the cafe in harestanes, the savoury waffle is delicious and then share a chocolate waffle between two.

Drac

Walked that a few years ago from Melrose in 2 days. Probably my most favourite long distance walk, stunning every mile of it.

aide

Done St cuthberts quite a few years ago on the bike myself. 1st day Holy Island – yetholm, 2nd day to melrose. My grandad used to live in Wooler and I live a few miles from melrose. Always wanted to cycle from Wooler to home so it ticked the boxes. Enjoy it mate, some nice scenery about

vmgscot

Yetholm to Jedburgh

Couple of days off work so booked a BnB near Jedburgh as a base for the final couple legs of this trip.
    Friday took us from our starting point at Harestanes (Jedburgh) out following the St Cuthberts Way to Yetholm.
    The trails seem in good condition but trail trousers and long sleeved tops dealt with any tall Summer growth.

Climb over Wideopen Hill then descent down into Town Yetholm

After devouring our well-fired rolls (corned beef and tomato for those interested) it was about turn and headed back – mostly retracing the Way except back roads from Yetholm to Morebattle.

vmgscot

Jedburgh to Melrose

Full Scottish then off we set following the Roman arterial route of Dere Street north out of Jedburgh. Really enjoyable singletrack along the length of Dere St

before back roads brought us to Maxton Kirk and the fun began following the Tweed. Quite challenging but well built trails hugging the cliffs and banks with some impressive woodwork features (not the jumpy type).

A stiff climb over the Eildon Hills and fast descent down into Melrose to reach the official start/end of the St Cuthberts Way.

We then made our way back to Jedburgh on a mix of back roads (bumped into @intheborders of this parish) and back along Dere Street.

Another fine set of bike rides exploring a part of our homeland unknown to us with an added “raid” across the border into England and the magnificent Northumbrian countryside. We have already started our next “meander” through the countryside – notes and pics to follow.

ElShalimo

?

onewheelgood

Walked that a few years ago from Melrose in 2 days

Chapeau. Those are two big days. I took a comfortable 5 but I’d agree that it’s an absolutely beautiful walk.

Nice pics OP.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.