Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 700c SS Commuter Options – RoadRat, Trek District, what else ????
  • nixie

Looking at replacing my genesis IO ID with a 700c SS commuter but struggling to find something in budget (< sale cost of the IO frame, forks and wheels). I want something that can be set up with flat bars and using the hydro disks off the IO (commute do dodgy for drops every day). What decent (slot dropout) frame/fork options are the apart from a roadrat or trek district? Looking second hand unless they are cheap new.

gazc
    Free Member

genesis fortitude ss with skinny tyres? when you want to change it back to a ss 29’er, stick the fat tyres back on! and it rides great off road too

nixie

Hadn’t thought about using a 29er, hmm.

gazc
    Free Member

it works – i commuted on a kona unit 29er for a year or 2 with skinny tyres. maybe not the trendiest looking bike parked outside a coffee shop though! on-one inbred would probably fit the bill too

theflatboy
    Free Member

Pompino, obvs.

Edit – just notice brakes point. Pompetamine, obvs.

nixie

Had counted out the Pompino due to no disks, Pompetamine looks good though, could get a brand new one at that price.

D0NK

genesis dayone, very pompetamine-alike

<edit>sorry just spotted you want flat bar.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nix, I would – I have one and it’s faultless for what it is.

nixie

Wonder if the white they are selling at the moment is the glow in the dark one, quite like the idea of that.

finbar
    Free Member

Single speed / fixed road bikes are dirt cheap second hand at the moment now they’ve gone out of fashion. I saw a Fixie Inc Peacemaker on eBay the other day that I’d buy if a) it wasn’t a size large; and b) I didn’t have one already.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the disc brake requirement. Ride it fixed and you don’t need brakes anyway 😉

ceepers

Funnily enough was chating with a mate about this on my ride last night. He has a vitus v29 which he rates as a bargain.

Disc brake version is £379,

http://www.vitusbikes.com/city-bikes-2014/dee-29-2014

if you can cope with v brakes its £50 cheaper

TiRed

Why not swap to a rigid (Cyclocross disk) fork and new 700c wheels with some 28c tyres? The ioid frame is excellent. Geometry won’t be far off.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-fitted-700c-wheels-to-an-mtb-frame-and-did-it-work

nixie

Vitus bike looks a bargain, even cheaper on crc at the moment.

I’m already running a rigid fork so could try 700c some wheels and see how it goes. There must be some cheap ones on ebay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘700c SS Commuter Options – RoadRat, Trek District, what else ????’ is closed to new replies.