• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by vd.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 7 Stanes advice please
  • vd

Going to a wedding in Edinburgh next week and can fit in a couple of days riding. Driving up.
    Wife with me. Fit and reasonably confident, but prefers XC and has 120mm forks.
    Where would you recommend? 2 days at Glentress? Or first day at Dalbeattie or Kirroughtree? Or any other ideas?

will
    Free Member

Personally i think i would go for Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree. There so much fun, having said that, so is GT.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you haven’t been to Glentress before than its well worth a visit and easy to get to from Edinburgh. Glentress has a good range of trails for everyone. Its easy due to the layout for you to do extra bits ie you do pennals vennal and meet up again while she does the forest road climb or there is a section on the descent (can’t remember what its called) where reds and blacks run in parallel short sections

jimmy

Kirroughtree’s a fair old hike from Edinburgh. Go to GT, probably do the blue with the missus but have a map with you to do red bits (like Spooky wood loop up top).

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Sounds like the Mrs will easily cope with GT red or black or Innerleithen xc. Both so close to Edinburgh its hard to recommend the other stanes.

Smee
    Free Member

I would recommend giving a local a shout – they might show you round some stuff at Inners.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Definitely GT!
    So close to Edinburgh.
    The trails are so well marked compared to the other Stanes.
    Only done the blue(kids with us) but it was fantastic…particularly the “electric blue” down to the cafe!
    My fave is K’tree red but it’s too far from E’burgh.

jonb
    Free Member

Most of the red is fairly simple if you slow down a bit, some of the blue (electric) is very good and we normally tag it onto our routes when we go as it’s fun.

I only run 100mm forks on a hardtail and have no issues on any of the red that are bike related. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you they regularly ride it on a track bike with square wheels or something.

vd

Thanks

I was definitely aiming to do Glentress, but just wondering whether diverting to somewhere like Dumfries on the way up, staying there for 2 nights, riding something local day 1, then taking in Glentress on the way to Edinburgh after the second night. I take it 1 day at Glentress will be enough – and Innerleithen looks more DH/Freeride?

Smee
    Free Member

vd – Innerleithen has a cracking XC course that is graded at red with optional black bits. For my money it is the best of all the 7stanes.

Outside of the 7 stanes you have some of the best natural riding to be found anywhere.

Sandwich

There’s some good natural trails around Peebles as well which will easily fill up two days.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Divert to Drumlanrig (though not a 7 Stane) near Dumfries on the way up sounds as if it is your type of riding but Glentress is good too.

0range5

You won’t be dissapointed with GT, but if you can make it to Kirroughtree, IMO it’s the best one, the red is awesome and even the blue is fun.
    Dalbeattie is underated, I really like it. GT is good, but often crowded. I’d say GT is better than Mabie. Ae is worth a look also – different to the others but good.

Swello
    Free Member

The XC course at inners is fantastic and practically deserted compared to GT – but in a few places, it’s a fair step up in difficulty from GT Red – and it has a potential Relationship Ender of a climb to the summit of Minch Moor 😉

colb
    Free Member

We just spent a long weekend taking in both K’tree, G’tress and Inners, K’tree red would be fine for the missus, black would be hard going, however G’tress has such a variety of trails that link together well and Inners is a great ride, my preference would be to stick to the Pebbles side of things.

You are looking at a 2.5 hour drive from K’tree to G’tress

vd

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a B & B near Glentress might be the order of the day and do Glentress and Innerleithen.

Presumably Glentress less crowded during the week?

Any recommendations for bike friendly B & B?

colb
    Free Member

Glentress Hotel right next door to the trail centre, good food and secure lock up.

We did G’tress on a Sat and although crowded never had any issue with too may folks on the trail.

vd

Back – and thanks again for the recommendations. Did Glentress Red and bits of black. Red a bit too smooth and groomed I thought. Black ranged from boring slog to sections that were too much for me.

Innerleithen I thought was really great – well draining man made track but with a remoteness and quiet that appealed. Funnily enough it was the step-ups on the climb rather than Minch Moor ascent that saw the Mrs “Red Mist” descend. They ought to lose the signposted short-cut..people are really short-changing themselves as the climb is ok,the views from the top superb and the down off was a great start to a never ending first rate downhill.

Had forgotten the advice re Drumlanrig, but was recommended again at the wedding and dropped by on the way home. Very nice but not for those who don’t like their twisty roots. Good place to go if you have non-riders to keep happy as well I would have thought.

Loads more women riding north of the border than darn sarf!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes advice please’ is closed to new replies.