Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 650b+ AND 29er frames
  • brassneck

Starting to think a frame that takes both wheelsets would actually cover off all the riding I do on a regular basis – really liking ‘plump’ 2.8 650b but not so good in winter round here where a toothy narrow 29 works better.

So far I’ve got:
    Singular Swift (fave, but only smalls left, and which fork if I get suss…)
    Cotic Solaris (much the same)
    Sonder Transmitter (love the carbon, but 29 not recommended?)

err.. thats it. I like an external BB (HT2). Have a couple of wheel donors so most types could work, I’ll likley have to buy a ‘second’ set. Not wedded to steel though I do like the look of a spindly steel tube. What other frames / bikes are out there that do dual duty? Pretty sure I don’t need rear suss but willing to be convinced if there’s a cracker I’ve missed.

frogstomp

SC Chameleon
    Genesis Tarn

Bez

Genesis Longitude, but only if you don’t want a bouncy fork.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ramin 3 plus

grenosteve
    Free Member

Surly karate Monkey.

singlespeedstu

Either of these work well with B+ and 29 wheels.
    Geo is bang on the money on both of them too.
    More imprtantly though this is STW and the rules say you must recommend what you’ve got. 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Db5sy4]Nordest.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/J3t5Y4]Muddy Fastforward.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

morebikes

The 2nd gen Stanton Sherpa does this well. I have 3″ WTB Trailblazers in there easily, with a second set of 29″ wheels for a change of ride feel.
    Different drop out are also available if you want boost or not.

martymac

+1 surly karate monkey.
    I bought mine for almost exactly the reasons you describe,
    I wanted the option of either wheelset, and the singular swift was sold out in my size.
    Mine is built rigid, 2×10, with bar end shifters converted with pauls ‘thumbies’
    Great bike.
    If only my leg wasn’t broken I could go ride it

chakaping
    Free Member

I think there was a hint in one of the Cotic threads that the Solaris is next in line for a revamp.

Worth holding fire for a bit maybe? Or get one secondhand like I did.

brassneck

I think that revamp may be the Solaris Max which is what I was looking at (no idea if thats actually ready for release thoguh).

Thanks Ned, that should sort it 😯

Chew
    Free Member

I have a mk2 Swift. 3″ 650b+ wheels are a bit of a tight fit on the rear. A very nice and fast 29er, but didnt feel the rigid fork made the most of the wheelsize.

650b+ wheels are now sat on a Stooge. The offset rigid forks work a treat and its a real hooligan. Locally in Calderdale it has no problems keeping up with FS bikes on the majority of trails.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Chromag – Surface / Primer / Rootdown – Well regarded in Canada but unsure of UK availability.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think that revamp may be the Solaris Max which is what I was looking at (no idea if thats actually ready for release thoguh).

The one on the website has been available a year or so.

If they’re re-stocking then a new version might not be that close after all.

metalheart
    Free Member

The one on the website has been available a year or so.

My one was the first B+ built up Max out the door, must’ve been March last year. So only been out for 9-10 months. That’s quick obsolescence for Cotic. Personally I’d be surprised to see it superseded so soon. It was a major overhaul over the mk2 iirc.

I can confirm that a new gen Sherpa can take proper 3” WTB,s (Trail Boss) in the back. Although now has a 2.8” Minion…

TheGhost
    Free Member

Solaris Max here with both sets of wheels. Both great. Plus is my favourite.

vincienup
    Free Member

The Solaris has always had its roots in being “a big Soul”.

With the BFe recently redesigned, the dropLink bikes still fresh from the last being launch spaff and the Soul having just had a major overhaul to Mk5, it really wouldn’t shock me at all to see the SolarisMax yanked back for a Mk4 with steeper head and the whole longer/lower. After all, multirole 27.5+/29ers are a pretty hot item right now and the Solaris has the pedigree and recognition – but is also starting to pick up a reputation for being old fashioned geo. Launching a new model addressing such concerns would be pretty shrewd before the name gets left behind. Not the same thing as obsolescence really- taken over 14 years, the Soul averages 2.8 years an iteration and there’s been numerous changes batch to batch. That’s longer life but still not exactly everlasting product design.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Travers Russ ti.
    Great frame and made of that fancy grey stuff.
    Will even do custom geometry if you like.
    Michael is a great bloke to deal with as well!
    Use mine for XC racing in summer with 29er wheels.
    Recently had fattys on and rigid forks for the snow.
    Thanks,
    Max

piemonster

Any Karete Monkey owners want to tell me how it rides as an all day long distance bike?

trusty

My pipedream sirius 4g will take 2.8 b+ wheels, haven’t tried it yet though as it’s filthy around here so running it 29er with muds on. I’m really enjoying it

NormalMan

piemonster – Member
    Any Karete Monkey owners want to tell me how it rides as an all day long distance bike?

I take it you mean the latest (2016>) version?

Bikepacking.com had it in the top 5 bikes for that type of riding for 2017 so that points to comfy ride.

For reference I have an late older version Ops and a mk1 Solaris. Different sizes and set up differently too. The KM is my mile muncher (but still fun) and my most ridden bike of last year.

grenosteve
    Free Member

My KM is the smoothest, comfiest bike I own. It’s a 2015 model with a straight steerer and no braze-ons on the fork.

Obviously if your riding rocky paths in the peaks the ridged fork is punishing (can just put a suspension fork on it though), but for singletrack, trail centres, fire paths and a bit of road, it’s awesome. Fun, fast, fairly light and very strong.

We did a 100km ride that took in all of the above, and the KM was brilliant. I’ll not be parting with mine, ever. 🙂

brassneck

Will take another look at the Solaris then, and some of the other suggestions. I have a bit of time having been wiped out by Christmas but could maybe sell one of the bikes now to get going.

I think I want a Swift, but I’m still slightly torn on the fork – not sure what suss fork would work for both sizes well, and be straight steerer / QR. Would likely run plus rigid but it’d be nice to have the choice.

piemonster

Cheers for the feedback Karate owners, it’d be for days out in the highlands. So some bounce up front is likely.

brassneck

Any Sirius 4G owners got some pics they’d like to share? Thats creeping up the list having looked around a bit!

seadog101

Oooo, following this thread avidly, saving pennies and stashing gear to build up to a new (to me!) HT along the same though lines. Solaris has me on the hook at the mo..

cooie

Ragley Bigwig?

brassneck

I’m torn now – Sirius and Chameleon … the Chameleon looks like it might be a bit beefy compared to the Sirius for a similar weight, but it’s reet smart looking. Both seem equally happy in both formats which is what I was looking for (probably posh + wheelset, cheapy winter 29er set).
    Chameleon builds are much cheapness at Evans too and I think I get a reward Gateway discount….

egb81
    Free Member

I built a 29er Chameleon ain’t 120mm forks and I love it. Feels great fun to ride, very good geometry and tweakable on chainstay length. Not the most spritely climber but it’s a hoot through the single-track and steep stuff I ride.

brassneck

Not the most spritely climber

Neither am I 🙂 – the shorter fork is something that’s appealing, I really don’t need 140mm of travel either end and have found the plus bike more fun over the last couple of months than the heavier suss. 8% off.. if theres a way to combine that with 0% finance I might have a couple of bikes on classifieds soon!

drain

Salsa El Mariachi (or Mariachubbi as I refer to it) bringing lots of smiles here 😀

golo
    Free Member

Kingdom Vendetta / Vendetta X2?

https://www.reallygoodbikes.co.uk/frames

theblondeone
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Hightower for the win, sold all my other bikes to buy it and now happily bounce around all trails in the highlands on it…

Northwind

Seems to me though that you can’t really do both jobs right without adjustable geometry- I mean, you can sometimes fit them but without a dropout or something it’ll always be taller in 29er setting than plus.

rOcKeTdOg
    vincienup
    Free Member

Pony Rustler?

brassneck

Seems to me though that you can’t really do both jobs right without adjustable geometry- I mean, you can sometimes fit them but without a dropout or something it’ll always be taller in 29er setting than plus.

Thats what was drawing me to the Chameleon or Pipedream. Would like it to not be compromised in either setup, and both seem to sell as both builds giving a bit of confidence.
    Pony Rustler considered but I’m not convinced I need full suss, having had a T129 for a while and barely ridden it compared to the plus (even in the conditions that it clearly would be better for). Probably over budget too anyway.

Shackleton

My tuppence worth is that you can’t design for both without providing for geo adjustment.

Also my (limited) experience is that a frame designed primarily for 29er wheels will feel disconnected/noodly with 650b+ (Sherpa) while those designed for 650b+ feel rough/wooden with 29 (SolarisMAX). Supposedly the Sirius feels like this too (designed for 650b+).

takisawa2

1st gen Niner SIR.9 takes a 2.8b+ Trailblazer at the back, & 29+ up front.
    It rides really well. The smaller dia rear actually seems to make it accelerate quicker. Has quite a steep head angle so works quite well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Psoqnf]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

davros

I’ve just built up a genesis tarn in 29 mode. Only had one ride so far but I was very happy with how it rides – comfortable, neutral, stable/solid on the descents. I’ll probably try plus mode in the summer. You can get last year’s frame for £420 including a carbon fork.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘650b+ AND 29er frames’ is closed to new replies.