Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 6"3 Athlete with Mega long legs… 177.5 cranks?
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

…always rocked 175's but CRC has a deal on the larger size XTR for under 200 notes.

I reckon my inside leg is 35", do you think it is workable? Larger power stroke?

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** all difference, I promise you.

But then xtr will make **** all difference too!

allthepies
    Free Member

If you really are a tad over 6 inches high then perhaps 177.5 cranks are still too small ?

Woody
    Free Member

As cynic-al says, you won't even notice.

I was thinking about going down to 170mm cranks on my 'crosser until I looked at the current ones which are ……170mm 😳

bigant

I'm 6'6" 36" inside leg run 180 mm on the road bike and 175's on the mtb's. Notice some extra leverage on the road bike but I reckon longer cranks off road increase chance of pedal strike when technique is crap as mine ……

specializedneeds

If you want XTR anyway, then go for it, you won't notice any difference (except possibly in re-sale?). But by the same token, if the only reason to buy is to try the longer length, don't bother, you won't notice any difference.

I rode a 170mm crankset for a while, couldn't tell. But 165mm, that I could tell and went back to 175mm.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I've got 177.5 and I can't really tell the difference TBH. I just wanted the XTR shinyness 🙂

GavinB

I am pretty much the same size as you (maybe slightly longer legs) and used to run 177.5mm XTR cranks on my XC race bike. Also used to run 180 Uno cranks on the SS.

Why not? At worst, you'll not notice any difference, but why stick to the 'industry norm' of 175, when you are clearly not 'standard size'? I don't worry about it when buying a bike 'off the shelf' as it is a tiny difference, but when it is a one-off upgrade then it makes more sense.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Thanks all!

The pedal strike point was a good un! TBH it would be a mixture of reasons, a mostly due strength/weight with a bit of bling factor on the top. Not that happy with my current RF Deus, and the rings could be due a change shortly.

The price could be something to do with the new Dynasis 10 speed coming out, but i have no intention in being suckered into more 'apple' style product replacement.

IA

6'4" here, 165s on the DH bike for clearance, 175s on the XC bike for a happy medium and 180s on the ss cross bike for giving it some.

I do notice the difference in crank lengths, but some don't. I find I'm very sensitive to small bike changes though in general.

The 165s really make a big difference clearance wise, especially as it's a low DH bike. When I go to the mtb after riding the cross bike all week (it's used for commuting) I feel like I'm spinning small circles, but get used to it quickly.

In summary: you'll be fine and might even like them better.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice gang!

BigJohn

32" legas and went from 172.5 to 180 without really noticing

LS
    Free Member

6'3", 37" inside leg, 180mm cranks on everything. Switched wholesale from 175mm a couple of years ago after trying them on the road bike to start with.
    Feel great, never had any ground clearance issues. Try them, nothing to lose if they're a good deal.

clubber
    Free Member

6'5" 35" inside leg here.

I did use 180s on my road bike for a while and they did feel nice in a very subtly different way but I don't believe for a moment that they made any real difference to my riding/speed/fatigue/etc. I now use 175s on the road and mtbs simply because they're more readily available.

If I was buying new road cranks and 180s were the same price I'd probably go for them but I wouldn't pay extra. On the mtb, I prefer to stick at 175 just for extra ground clearance.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘6"3 Athlete with Mega long legs… 177.5 cranks?’ is closed to new replies.