• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by digga.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 5:10 Freerider Element's – anything better?
  • bennn
    Free Member

Morning everyone, I’ve done a quick search and nothing turned up so;

I’ve had a look around and like the Freerider Elements in Team Black, and have found them at about £72 online, or £75 locally, so I might as well buy them locally today, before I go try some one at my local(ish) LBS, is there anything else I should consider? Also how do 5:10’s size up?

If anyone’s interested I’m looking at the non-VXI ones because of the flat portion of rubber on the sole looks like a nightmare if I ever have to get off and push in mud!

Thanks for any advice,

Ben.

marky29er
    Free Member

I have them. They are waterproof, comfortable and grip fantastically on flats. I have only ever worn trainers before so can’t compare them to anything, but would have no hesitation in buying again.

bennn
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, shop opens at 11, how do yours fit? (ie; size same as ‘normal’ trainers?)

winch
    Free Member

I have them for the same reasonings as you and am very pleased. Still looking pretty good after nearly a year now. They certainly resist water better than most trainers but I wouldn’t describe them as waterproof, they are lace ups after all. Very happy.

tymbian
    Free Member

I have the 5.10 impact hi and would go half a size up..that said if you’re buying locally just try them.

thewalker
    Free Member

hi ben, sorry to jump in on your question,what shop are u getting them from,been looking for them but everywhere out of stock in my size, thanks

deadkenny
    Free Member

The Freerider Elements have pretty much replaced my Impacts for every ride now, especially in the wet. They are less bulky and they don’t have the water absorbing properties of the Impacts. I got them as spare when the Impacts get wet and take a week to dry, but instead I just wear the Freerider Elements and the Impacts never get used.

Sizing – no issue for me. I take size 7 and it’s as good as most size 7 fit. Personally ordering size up would be way too big for me.

danbo
    Free Member

Ive just bought some Team Blacks. Really nice and as waterproof as you can expect for a shoes without a flap. and as a size 9 I bought the euro 44s which should give just enough room for some thicker socks come winter. I also went non vxi for the push reason. Would recommend.

bennn
    Free Member

Walker – Got mine from All Terrain Cycles, limited sizes though.

Have you tried http://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/cycling-shoes/Five-Ten-Freerider-elements-cycle-shoe-black#.VAQQMfldXuJ , which is the other place I were looking?

passtherizla
    Free Member

The new impact vxi is the best looking shoe they’ve ever made. Based on that. I’d probably just buy those. They look like old savvier skate shoes. Saw a guy in them at revo yesterday and had to ask him what they were. Couldn’t believe fiveten actually got it right. (Have had many pairs fall apart on me over they years).

digga
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    The new impact vxi is the best looking shoe they’ve ever made. Based on that. I’d probably just buy those.

^THIS.

The new Impact VXIs are also lighter than the Freeriders and have a full tread on the sole, so less sketchy if you’re having to do any hike-a-bike bits.

Northwind

Still waiting to see if the new Impacts bed in but right now I don’t like ’em- better on paper than the old ones and my Freeriders but they feel, I don’t know, wooden. Never felt so disconnected from the bike. Not really sure why but I’m working on it.

thewalker
    Free Member

ok thanks ben

Don’t know what they are like in the wet, but 661 Filters are £47 on Ebay. Look good and really comfy…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ovey69]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

chrisdw
    Free Member

^^ Pretty sure Filters are SPD ^^

They are, but the cut-out is very well secured until you decide you might want to use SPD’s

scandal42
    Free Member

How do the filters grip on flats?

Cant imagine them being grippy enough

digga
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Still waiting to see if the new Impacts bed in but right now I don’t like ’em- better on paper than the old ones and my Freeriders but they feel, I don’t know, wooden. Never felt so disconnected from the bike. Not really sure why but I’m working on it.

They definitely feel ‘different’ to the old Impacts – I think the weight/bulk has a lot to do with it and certainly on DH, I think the older version might still be better IMHO.

I also reckon the new Impact VXI comes up about half a size bigger on a 10.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘5:10 Freerider Element's – anything better?’ is closed to new replies.