Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • On-One Codeine Review
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve had a quick trawl of t’interweb to no avail.

Has anyone seen a proper review or managed to get a serious test ride?

brant
    Free Member

I find the use of the word “serious” in relation to the Codeine quite funny.

darrenspink
    Free Member

No smiling now…move along

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Better?: Has anyone seen a serious review or managed to get a proper test ride?

The Codeine looks very good. I’m just trying to confirm if it will suit me. The cool kids in the vids ride a lot better than I can and ever will 🙂

I’ve demoed half a dozen full suss 29ers and felt comfy on them once I adapted to the bigger wheels needing a bit more effort to get the into the corners. Being lanky helped I reckon.

As you are around Brant I looked at the geometry of the large frame; added the chainstay length and the stack to get a wheelbase of 1097mm. Is that correct calculation? I ask as it’s about 100mm shorter than the other bikes on my list and over 200mm shorter than the Kona Process XL.

Thanks

Andrew.

plus-one

I swing a leg over mine from time to time..

1. Whips along flat great

2. Climbs great

3. Descends great

4. Great price

5. Great spec

6. Makes me grin like an idiot

I know I should write for the mags 😉

brant
    Free Member

As you are around Brant I looked at the geometry of the large frame; added the chainstay length and the stack to get a wheelbase of 1097mm. Is that correct calculation? I ask as it’s about 100mm shorter than the other bikes on my list and over 200mm shorter than the Kona Process XL.

No. That won’t be the right number, as stack is the dimension to the top of the headtube from the BB.

Wheelbase on large is 1185mm. Front centre is 741.5mm with a 51mm offset fork.

Northwind

Bludgeon – Member

As you are around Brant I looked at the geometry of the large frame; added the chainstay length and the stack

Nah. Stack is the height- but assuming you mean reach, that still doesn’t include the fork, you can’t work out wheelbase using just chainstay and reach

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s big it’s blue it goes like sheet offa shovel.

prawny

After a month on a 29er HT a really want a codiene, luckily, the promo video with the two yoofs hooning around reminded me that I had went back to a hard tail to slow me down a bit. It’s not worked, but never mind.

gamerriley
    Free Member

I’ve had my medium in blue from day 1 and can say it’s am absolutely brilliant bike to ride. So far i’ve thrown it around Lee and Cragg quarry, Cannock Chase, Sherwood Pines, loads of local xc stuff, it just puts a huge smile on your face. Padals great, climbs well, lands off jumps with a reassuring thud, very stable at speed, all round top bike.

DT78
    Free Member

I know I should write for the mags

Rubbish. You need to make some comment about the wheelsize and have a moan about the bar / stem combo.

Reminded me to cancel that MBUK sub.

frood
    Free Member

b r and I did a 40 mile 1800m climbing day yesterday Selkirk to 3B natural descent through Walkerburn, another natural descent, up Innerleithen to the top of Minch, quick trail centre descent then the southern upland way back to the 3B and another couple of natural descents then back round to Selkirk.

Some tight twisty and steep stuff, some flat out fast straight stuff and the usual drops berms etc

I’ve got a Titus Fireline with a 120mm x fusion slide built up with 2×10 with a 42 expander, which tips the scales at 26lbs with a hans dampf front and mountain king rear, which will be my most recent comparison.

I’m on a loan bike at the moment (long story) which has revelations in stead of the pike, but the weight difference is less than 100 grams and the full (20″ frame) build with a pair of time xc6 pedals comes in at 32lbs with tubes and stock tyres – I will be going tubeless, but I wanted to go for a ride first.

First impressions are that it’s a BIG frame, I wanted to stick with the 35mm stem and have long arms so decided to go with the large – it’s given me the space to breathe and I like the attack position, the front wheel and bars are far enough in front of me that I can really move my weight about between the two wheels without feeling like I’m going over the bars and after riding it properly, it has been the right choice for me. There’s not much room for the reverb to go any lower (approx an inch) – but standover is fine with that big kinked drop in the top tube… but when I’m riding that doesn’t really matter anyway!

First off pedalling – there is very little bob from the back end and the front end stays put and goes where you point it. You will need to take a wide line in to tight switchbacks, but that’s the best way to carry a bit of momentum through anyway. The back wheel tracks the ground well and provides acres of grip on steep and tech climbs and in loose dirt manages to find enough bite too.

I’m used to a slightly narrower bar (720mm vs the 760 that comes on the bike) so the first descent (2km 171m) going into the usual Yair tight narrow twisty singletrack through the trees I clipped the bars on a couple of trees and with the longer front end than I’m used to ran slightly wide through the first couple of corners, but adjusted to that quickly – use an aggressive attack position and the front end really goes where you point it and the rear wheel tracks easily over imperfections in the trail, allowing you to pump the terrain at every opportunity for more speed. The trail has a lot of the woops that you get through pine woods and then opened up into a very overgrown but fast narrow winding string of trail that has seen better days – big holes in there that are hidden by the overgrowth, but again just pointing the bike in the right direction it rolled through everything and tracked well. First descent – first KOM…

It definitely takes a bit of effort to get it up to speed – big wheels, and big heavy tyres – but once it’s there it just keeps the momentum going and you can carry all that speed through terrain and corners with ease.

The last descent we did was incredibly wet and slick and despite understeering a couple of times it was very predictable and I was able to bring the front wheel back in line.

It’s the first full susser that I’ve been able to manual – the front end pops up easily and over things.

I did have a number of pedal strikes – but that had all but sorted itself out by the end of the ride I’ve gotten used to being able to b*tch crank on the hardtail to help it through and over things where you can’t do with the full suss once it’s well into its travel.

Build – I’ll need to play around with the settings on the CCDB, but so far the back end has done exactly what I wanted with minimal fuss, the Revelation is mostly excellent, though could do with a bit more ramp up – it’s very plush but also very linear, so can be bottomed out quite easily on G-outs despite running 20% sag. The Avid trail brakes have ample power and superb feel.
    The X01 drivetrain shifts positively, though I will miss the multiple upshifts of the XTR shifters on the other bike – will have to keep an eye on longevity, and the reverb is solid as you would expect.
    The X0 hubs engage very quickly and sound great, the pacenti rims are wide, but from other’s experiences they are rather ding-able so will probably need to keep a reasonable amount of pressure in the tyres to prevent rock strikes.

I managed to set several PRs on climbs and set about a dozen on descents including 3 KOMs – so it’s definitely no slouch!

plus-one

Nice review ^

Love mine more every ride … Had a wee flap on last ride as I noticed/felt the dreaded pivot/bearing play on gently lifting saddle up and down(ignoring slight reverb play) turns out it was shock mount needed wee tweak with the Allen key .. Phew ..

Tweaked the shock a bit and all good 🙂 🙂

konanige

As above good review. Done about 8 rides on mine now lots of strava pb’s does exactly what it says on the tin. Can’t speak highly enough of it.

joedaho
    Free Member

Anyone put in some serious time on one (no pun etc etc…) of these now to be able to comment on reliability etc?

frood
    Free Member

Yep… Make sure all the bolts are tightened along with the spokes (spoke tension was quite low on the stock wheelbuild)… some threadlock on the rear brake mount is a good plan. Otherwise a solid runner. Rear tyre is looking a little worse for wear from a lot of steep play around Inners

frood
    Free Member

ps… I’ve destroyed 3 rims in the last year and blown the damper on a fork… so I’m pretty tough on parts 😉

joedaho
    Free Member

Good man, not trail centre mincing, what it wanted to hear. Food for thought. Cheers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mine has’nt melted despite drilling a hole in the seat tube.

br
    Free Member

I rode with Frood last week again, he took KOM’s on a couple of the longer Yair descents off the local fast boys – nutter 🙂

ragleysi
    Free Member

Brant, any idea when the codeine frames are going to be back in stock? I’m getting the 29er itch, and until they come back into stock I’m not gonna be able to scratch it….

variflex
    Free Member

brant is no longer at on-one and they have pulled the frames due to quality problems for the time being 🙁

RustyNissanPrairie

they have pulled the frames due to quality problems for the time being

On-One/anything Brants involved in never quite seem to get it 100% together and get consistency for me to ever buy into them. Shame as the Codeine looks perfect for me on paper.

ragleysi
    Free Member

Gutted…. Watch this space then I guess…

zx1200r
    Free Member

Another one for the positives here. First I also thought a shock bush had gone only to find a loose bolt, easy fixes are the best. My first visit to Revolution BikePark yesterday. Never done any DH’ing as such before so was a bit nervy. Got about 7 runs down the free ride line into the woods at the bottom which was root infested & claggy. Lucky I’d put a magic Mary on the front though the first five times down I got dumped on my ass, then a eureka moment. Let some air out muppet! Now I started with 2bar(29psi) so probably finished with 25psi and the last two runs I cleaned it, Luck? Maybe. The Codeine didn’t miss a beat and the wheels held up as true as they started. If I did have to change rims I’d go with DL-31’s because I’m clutzy. By the end it was carrying 3-4lbs of mud but made a brilliant day of it not to mention many raised eyebrows in the carpark. A 29er on their turf? Whatever next 🙂 A+ to the Cod!

disconoir
    Free Member

As it seems to be back in stock on the on-one website thought I’d post my review of my Codeine, since the review I have upgraded the wheels to FLOW EX rims and it’s a whole lot better, Pikes have been ordered today so hopefully will be on by the weekend.

http://sundayridersclub.tumblr.com/post/99753970783/on-one-codeine-review

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Great review thanks for taking the time to post on here as well.

jeffs

I’ve had my Codeine since May. Full build from Planet X. Stock seat was horrible. Changed grips for Superstar ones with orange caps to match the logo. Made a real difference to the overall look.

Ride:
    Codeine is now my only bike and it does great for local XC as well as the steeper stuff in Surrey Hills, Alps and Scotland that I bought it for. Overall, according to Strava, I ride everything faster than on my old Trek Fuel EX and Blue Pig. Also it’s surefooted, soaks up the rough and is quiet, especially compared to the Trek. Best of all it gets me down stuff I’d never have tried before, and makes things that once frightened me into fun.

I do find that, if I’m not riding well, not aggressive, not looking far enough ahead, the big wheels don’t like really sharp corners. But even on 26ers I’ve always found tight twisty stuff and switchbacks tricky. And if I’m riding well it’s all good on the Codeine.

Reliability:
    A very wet, muddy trip to the Alps in July took its toll.
    Running the tyres tubeless at about 25psi I managed to dent a rim. Bent it back, moved up to 40psi and no problems since. Ideally, I’d prefer softer tyres though.
    Also, after the Alps the wheel bearings were knackered. Bike wasn’t jet washed. Three months: that’s rubbish!
    LBS couldn’t source replacements and said SRAM hub bearings are too small and soft anyway. So, Hope hubs now installed.
    Chainset all still good, little wear, shifting not quite as efficient as Shimano but no problems. Not looking forward to replacing 11-speed cassette though.

Overall: an excellent do-it-all bike.

JoeG
    Free Member

jeffs – IIRC, there was an issue with the bearings being installed backwards in some SRAM hubs. Apparently, they use a different seal for the inboard and outboard side of the bearing. But some hubs had them installed incorrectly, and the exposed outboard seal (which was supposed to be the inboard one) let in contaminants quite easily and the hubs failed quickly.

I think that there was a thread on here maybe another forum about the issue, but I can’t find it…

konanige

Bearings are easy to get hold of on ebay or any bearing supplier they are the same as Hope bearings, also I have some Superstar wheels on my other bike that have way outlasted my Hope pro 111 wheels!!

rickon
    Free Member

Disconoir…

Overall I find the shape of the bike a little too tall and a little too short, take 10-15mm off the head and seat tube

Youre running a 10mm rise bar, id recommend swapping out to a zero rise bar to get the front end lower.

Good review by the way.

disconoir
    Free Member

Rickon, front end is even higher now I’ve stuck on a set of 150mm Pikes! Got a set of zero rise bars on order from CRC to get the front end a bit lower, also now got a set of Stans Flow EX and it had made it feel much more solid, will post an updated review once the Pikes have had a good few outings.

JoeG
    Free Member

Look at Niner’s handlebars; they make some with a bit of drop instead of rise.

disconoir
    Free Member

Wow those look weird! Think I might stick with the flat ones, cheers though.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘On-One Codeine Review’ is closed to new replies.