Home Forums Bike Forum £50 flats pedal of the moment?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • £50 flats pedal of the moment?
  • garage-dweller

Needs some flats for the gravel bike.

I have concluded that my youthful big gear mashing has caught up with me and I need something that is not SPDs with the attendant cleat positioning and lack of float.

Big platform, moderate grip and either long service intervals or easy servicing.  I’m happy to do without an ultra thin platform for this bike.

Bonus if they have reflector capability for winter road sections.

I’ve had DMR V8s before and some cheerful Wellgo things that were surprisingly ok but not bought anything at this price point for a long time.

grahamt1980

Composite Pedals

I use these on my xc bike.  Composite so nice and light with a big platform.  They seem to have held up over the summer in a decent amount of riding

leegee

Diety Deftrap. Best pedal I’ve used.
    I filed mine down to a 2mm concave & they are even better.

bigblackshed

Wellgo Magnesium flats.

I’ve got a couple of pairs. One set are on my Stooge, the third bike they’ve been on and knocking on 16 years old. Never served and still perfect. (Except for the worn off paint)

THESE: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wellgo-Magnesium-Cro-mo-Sealed-Platform-Pedals_129219.htm?variations=colour:Black,option:9/16%2522&sku=508331

johnhe

Not sure about serviceability, but I really like the One Up Composite pedals. They certainly seem to have a lot more grip than my old V8s.

chakaping

DMR V11s are really good.

There’s also another plastic pedal everyone recommends on here, but I can’t remember what it’s called.

honourablegeorge

OneUp, or the Crank Bros Stamp

seriousrikk

Oneup composites are a breeze to service

Mine developed a squeak. Ten minutes with a couple of tools and some grease and it was sorted.

You can get proper service kits and replacement pins too

andrewh
    Free Member

Saints or Hope.

New ones are over budget so keep an eye on eBay, they can be had for £50 quite easily

hot_fiat

Another vote for Burgtech mk4 composites. As good, if not better than the alloys. Super low profile and robust. Can be had for £40.50 from Startfitness

nixie

Another vote for the one up composites. I’ve 2 sets that are both going strong. Oldest has taken lots of rock strikes and 4000k before showing any sign of needing maintenance (slight click after ride with lots of deep water crossings).

I honestly don’t know why anyone would but metal flats anymore as composites are cheaper, lighter, look better as they age, just as grippy (maybe better grip).

HobNob
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know why anyone would but metal flats anymore as composites are cheaper, lighter, look better as they age, just as grippy (maybe better grip).

Cheaper, lighter & scrap once you clout them into a rock & deform them along with ripping pins out which you can’t replace as the hole is twice the size.

Also, absolutely not ‘better grip’ than a decent flat pedal. My OneUps are demoted to the pub bike, they are that bad.

As to what to buy, for that budget a secondhand set of Deity T-Mac, Stamp 11s or Horizon DH if you want some actual grip.

Tracey

Been running Stamp 7s due to my small feet. Bought them when they were on offer ages ago.

Other half has Boomslangs. Too big for my feet but the grip and durability is amazing. 42 % off them at the moment

https://www.certini.co.uk/components/pedals/specialized-boomslang-platform-mountain-bike-pedals–black__36989?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=09115-2300&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_sq2BhCUARIsAIVqmQvA17EoXMcWQL0vUmM5JqFmFRevQsAbBU-Y_nNJzU7LCD-LPScASd0aAsxoEALw_wcB

submarined
    Free Member

Love my Deftraps. I’m a huge OneUp fanboy, but their pedals feel horrible. Not a fan of the convex shadow.

dc1988

I’d you want longevity and not outright grip then surely Shimano is the answer. You might have to go 2nd hand but they can last for years with some fresh grease and they only require some tools to service with no replacement parts needed

iamtheresurrection

I ride clipless, but my son’s just moved from Mk4 Burgtec to Stamp 1 V2 and he much prefers the concave shape, and extra grip.

garage-dweller

Thanks all.  Some good options there that I’ll take a look at with the usual stw consensus ?.

Rock damage isn’t a consideration for this bike as it’s firmly gravel/gentle xc/back lanes road riding and touring use so it’s more comfort/convenience/longevity.

I’ve got metal NS something’s on the FS bike, which has a low BB (Specialized). I really like those but they’re more expensive than I want to spend on this bike and on those I’ve got outer and leading edge pins that have been torn out on rock strikes.  I doubt those are salvageable in terms of getting new pins in. Relatively rare for me in the South Downs anyway only happens when I go away. At least the metal bodies can be recycled.

Not sure about convex profile for this bike as it’s a ball of foot pedalling position that’ll be dominant not an arch of foot descending/traversing position.  I have flat feet and I can see that creating a hot spot/lack of support when pedalling up and along seated.

kelvin

Boomslangs feel amazing, but don’t seem to like British winters. Loved mine while they lasted. Hoping to fix mine, and then save them for summer.

Unlike many others, I really rate the OneUp plastic pedals, don’t miss the concave shape of other pedals even though I thought I would.

gs_triumph

Burgtech mk4s for me.   Light.  Robust.  Grippy.  Have been bulletproof thus far – 4 years and counting

jkomo

Love my SS Nanos

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve always liked DMR and the Flat 4 ticks all your boxes including the reflectors:

https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Pedals/Flat-4/Flat-4

(can be found under budget)

colournoise

RaceFace Chester. Put them on all my bikes now. Cheap, cheerful, and tough enough to survive the low BBs on my bikes when I do venture into rocky territory.

Plus, they come in pink (which may or may not be a consideration for you!).

Tom83

I’ve got the pnw plastics on my full sus, and cheap nukeproof plastics on my hardtail. I think the plastic nukeproof ones are my favourite to be honest. Still knocking about on ebay for cheap enough.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got deity deftrap on my gravel bike and have been really happy with them (not had a massive amount of use so not sure about longevity). Only other flat pedal I’ve had over the years are wellgo MG1 magnesium which are also fine and haven’t needed any servicing in years.

captaintomo
    Free Member

DMR V12. Literally bombproof. My pair are 10 years old now. Survived many crashes when used on my mountain bike and now have been on the commuter for 6 years and must have covered 20k odd miles in that time. Never cleaned nor serviced and the bearings still feel greasy smooth. Strong reccomend.

a11y

I still like my DMR Vaults.
    Regarding reflectors, I used some sticky 3M reflective tape on the Nukeproof plastics on the kids bikes – it’s lasted well. Choose your pedal design carefully and should be possible with others too.

2024-01-13 Ragley Marley Sophie 00008_Original

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Burgtec comps with a bent axle and knackered bearings, and a pair of v12a with (surprise!) knackered bushings in the shed if you _really_ want to try them cheap. Burgtec platforms feel small and tippy, like the V12a.

sharkattack

Saints or Hope.

The top 2 worst flat pedals I’ve ever had.

DMR V12. Literally bombproof.

True in the 90’s when they were the only good option. There’s literally dozens of better designs out there now including from DMR themselves.

I’ve just realised that I don’t have any metal pedals anymore. I’ve got DMR V11, Burgtec composite and some generic plastic things on the BMX.

There’s no downside to plastic as long as the shape is good.

Northwind

Has nobody mentioned the HT PA03A? Nothing flashy, not super thin or super big, but just really bloody good, HT make loads of the other pedals mentioned. It’s the closest you can get now to the old Nukeproof Horizon Comp, which is still my favourite pedal ever- so good they discontinued it because nobody was buying any of their expensive ones.

Didn’t like the oneups much, the grip is just poor and I don’t see what you get in return, they’re marginally lower profile than some but not in a way that makes any real difference imo . Burgtec felt bulky without any real redeeming featues, it’s a really similar pedal to the PA03A but worse. V11 is decent but again it’s no better than the PA03A and ismore expensive (and is probably made by HT?)

Thing is these are all big grip mtb pedals so might be excessive but I don’t think they have any downsides either for you.

suspendedanimation

Still find superstar nanos the pedals to beat. Last forever and great grip

Composites leave a great pile of rubbish for the tip when they rip the pins out. I am not a fan. Shimano are weird shape for big feet and heavy. I haven’t the budget for hope or burgtec

mmannerr

Confessions of a pedal killer: part 5. My last victim is a OneUp Composite, axle is so bent that there is visible and easily felt wobble. I have also ruined Nukeproof Electrons, when their axle bent they unbolted axle from body.
    I have pair of XT:s in size L but while they feel more robust they are also catching on every tree stump along trails.

Let’s not go into gory details of broken Time pedals here…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I’m with Northwind, HT PA03As are fantastic. I’ve tried various ones over the years but the HTs have proved to be the most comfortable and long lasting. They feel very similar to the DMR Vaults that I had before but without the bushing the develops play every 5 minutes.

Come in lots of colours and so cheap there isn’t really much to lose.

John

chakaping

HT PA03As

Ah yeah, this is what I was thinking of in my earlier post.

Wonder why I didn’t remember that catchy name?

BillOddie

HT PA03A – I run em, better than Vaults imho.

Alex

20% off PNW plastics

RANGE COMPOSITE PEDAL

I wasn’t a big fan of the composite burgtec (but love my Penthouse MK5s). Need a spare set of cheap pedals for chucking in the bag when riding away. Generally like PNW kit so for £40 I’m sold!

grahamt1980

In full disclosure It turns out i am an idiot.

The pnw composites in the post above this one are the ones I have on the xc bike and love them.

Not the oneup ones.

Sorry,  but def recommend the pnw ones,  and at that price i might get a spare set

simonalex99
    citizenlee
    Free Member

e13 Base Composite for me. Nice big platform and plenty of grip. Fully serviceable too.

Was tempted by either Burgtec or PNW composites but the e13 appeared at a price I couldn’t say no to (£25 new on eBay) and I’m really glad I tried them.

I always used alloy/mag DMRs, Nanos or Saints in the past but much prefer these.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.