Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 5 yr old bike
  • thehustler
    Free Member

So my hustler is coming up to 5 years old, running it with Z4 bombers, fullXO gripshift chain set M4 brakes, and 321 rims on hope hubs, would this still be a nice build by todays standards or a bit past it (I still love it btw just wondering where technology has gone in that time)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I suspect it is probably a bit old hat compared to a new build hustler. However if you changed the forks and shock it would probably bring the feel of the bike right into the realms of new bikes as IMO that is where the big advances have been made in the past 5 years or so.

Says the man with a 2006 Enduro and a 97 Zaskar.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry, ride it until it dies.

My 2004 Enduro feels very contemporary since I fitted Revelations, a short stem and wide bars. Okay, it may be an old fashioned monocoque frame, but it gets more attention than my 2009 Wolf Ridge covered in bling.

Technology over the last five to eight years has merely refined, not revolutionised IMHO.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Still riding my Enduro 2004 too. Nothing remains from the original build bar the frame.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This is turning into an old Enduro love in.

pitduck
    Free Member

(Technology over the last five to eight years has merely refined, not revolutionised)+1 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most trail bikes now are fashionably low and slack, so the weekend warriors can pretend they’re Sam Hill.

Things havent changed that much, bikes still have two wheels etc. If you get on with how your bike rides then thats all that matters.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Still riding my 03 Enduro and don’t feel at a disadvantage compared to those on much newer bikes.

bigdawg
    Free Member

does it matter? – Im still racing a 1996 kona, did really well yesterday too… 😀

Tracey

3 2006 Enduros in our garage, although Kevin has just bought a 2010 frame to swap bits to. His old frame will go on the garage wall just in case he want to swap back

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

This is turning into an old Enduro love in.

Allow me.

Shock and frame are stock but the rest is new.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ha! It’s nice to see so many Enduro owners on here.

Mine is completely original apart from the following 😉 :

710mm Funn Fatboy bars
    80 mm Thompson stem and seatpost
    Rockshox Revelation Race 20mm forks
    Truvativ Stylo 2.2 cranks
    PUSHed Fox Float R
    Hope ProII hubs, headset and clamp in blue
    Hayes Stroker Trail brakes
    XC717 rims
    XT rear mech and SLX shifters

It’s light (27lb), acceptably stiff, handles superbly and climbs well too. I simply wouldn’t want to part with it.

brassneck

Yeah useless, bin it

(2001 Superlight.. think my rebas are probably 5 years old)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I don’t think a Hustler frame has changed at all in 5 years. They ride really nicely IMO.If your shock is old and tired maybe a service and tune is the upgrade you need/want?

z4 bombers while reliable could easily be bettered by a more modern fork.

I doubt you will gain much by upgrading gears and brakes.

Old enduros are nice bikes. I had an 04, and have ridden the 06 version, and the 2008. And an SX, Stumpjumper and Camber. They all feel better than the 04 enduro ever did.

z1ppy

Just pulled a 2003 frame out of a two year retirement, see no reason to change or sell it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘5 yr old bike’ is closed to new replies.