Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 5 years
  • robbo1234biking

Well 4 years and 11 months to be precise since I last rode my bike. It has been a difficult 5 years, wife had a difficult pregnancy followed by a difficult birth. Then 3 years with the little one where I would keep making excuses. The last year had a serious bout of anxiety helped by counselling and I did some running to get my weight back down and to do some exercise.

Then on Friday I decided I was going to buy some new inner tubes and take the bike out for a spin. Walked into Halfords to get a new pump as the old one was broken and kids seats were half price. Brought one and the little guy and I fitted it this afternoon and we were off. Only did about 6 miles but we both loved it. Can’t wait to get home tomorrow and take him out again and the wife wants to go and buy a bike now so she can come with us!

I’m riding a 26″ bike so a bit behind the times but can’t wait to go out exploring with him and sharing the hobby.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what wheel size, what discipline, how fast, how technical. You’re riding a bike and that’s all that matters. Glad you enjoyed it and that your family is well enough to enjoy it too!!!

Big smiles here. 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

Just ride the bike!

Great news, BTW

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the little guy and I fitted it this afternoon and we were off. Only did about 6 miles but we both loved it. Can’t wait to get home tomorrow and take him out again and the wife wants to go and buy a bike now so she can come with us!

funkmasterp

That’s brilliant. The fact that the whole family are riding is just icing on the cake.

matt_outandabout

Riding bikes is ace…

robbo1234biking

Just got my Flickr account to work…

Edit: or not what am I doing wrong?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

I think we can even overlook the state of your lawn for that smile! 🙂

(Click the share arrow, bottom right, then edit the link to be img…../img with the square brackets)

Mackem

Cool.

robbo1234biking

It’s a new build estate. Compared to our neighbours and other people who have had issues on here with new builds and lawns it’s in pretty good condition!

Big cheese as he would say!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You win dude.
    The look on his face says it all. Most envious of you.

Sandwich

I know how bad I have been after 8 months off the bike but 5 years is beyond understanding. Welcome back and that big smile is proof that riding bikes is ace.

oldnpastit

Brilliant stuff!

newrobdob – Member

Doesn’t matter what wheel size

Not really sure about that though… 🙂

matt_outandabout

I like that blue frame colour….

stumpy01

Woooot!!

Nice one.

daern
    Free Member

Absolutely delighted for you. Cycling together is such a wonderful thing with a family and we have some of our best times when out riding. Sharing this with your son will be a magical thing for you both.

We always book holidays with some sort of cycling in mind and while the girls are certainly not so keen, my son and I will be out riding as much as we can possibly get away with.

And don’t worry about daft things like wheel sizes – just get out and ride 🙂

robbo1234biking

We got out again tonight for another 8.5 miles ish. He asked to go out again tomorrow so that can only be good. Now for a new bike….

Mattoutandabout – it is an Onone 456 from about 7 years ago. I think it was actually painted the wrong colour st the factory or has the wrong colour decals on it as it was heavily discounted. From memory I think the powdercoater got the wrong blue – seem to remember a phone call from on- one checking if the colour would be ok.

robbo1234biking

Did Cannock last night – FTD and the Monkey Trail. Took an age and absolutely shattered by the end but really good fun! Now to get some biking fitness back!

fadda

Great post – am I allowed to stay if I fist-bump the OP?

crazyjenkins01

Keep it up!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great photo that.

My first is now on his pedal bike loving it. Really cool to see for the first time that feeling of freedom and independence that jumping on a bike gives kids. Helps you remember what it’s all about 🙂

robbo1234biking

Well a couple of weeks later and my Bike to Work bike has arrived. I went for a Boardman CX Comp. It is my first drop bar bike. Been out for a spin with the little guy and also on my own. Really like it but quite different to a mountain bike. Glad I went for this one as it will allow me to do thing like carsington and the tissington trail with the little guy but also quick for the commute and general riding. I only really need the mtb for trails centres etc now so it is good to have two different bikes.

Trying to get used to drop bars and playing around with the angle of them to get them comfortable. I seem to prefer them angled up slightly as it is more comfortable when on the hoods (which I think I will be 90% of the time). Feels very narrow compared to the mtb as well so a lot to get used to.

Need to get some new pedals and the brakes and gears need a bit of tinkering.=, but other than that it feels pretty comfortable. The saddle is pretty good too!

It is even allowed in the house tonight until I get storage sorted out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XRDPsP]Untitled[/url] by Rob, on Flickr

oldnpastit

Nice! Needs a bit more mud on it though!

garage-dweller

Hoods don’t look that far up to me. I’d ride them like that. But I am not a hard core roadie.

It feels more natural pretty quickly on the drops.

Great on getting back on the bike after all this time. Keep it up!

sillysilly
    Free Member

Win 🙂

SaxonRider

I completely sympathise with you, OP. I injured myself years ago, then suffered some serious back problems, so stayed off the bike for a very very long time. Once back on, though, I haven’t been able to get enough.

Riding, of any sort, really is fantastic and life-affirming.

robbo1234biking

Well first kind of proper road ride today. Went out on The CX comp mainly road but some of the roads were more gravel tracks. Great fun really impressed with the bike. Was much nicer riding on the roads on a bike suited to it. Seemed to make the hills effortless almost. Also was the trial ride for the Garmin Edge 25. Another good bit of kit. Plotted the route last night uploaded it and made it really easy to find my way. May need an upgrade come Christmas time!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘5 years’ is closed to new replies.