Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 5 mins! Is that all?
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

OK, following on from this thread New Bike, I thought that my time into work this monring would be a LOT quicker than when I do it on my Rockhopper with MTB Tyres (1hr 15mins).

However, I only took 5 mins off my time (1hr 10mins). The commute is a mix of gravel paths and asphalt cycle lanes.

My new bike has bigger wheels, thinner tyres, better gearing and lighter so I really was expecting an improvement. 5 mins isn’t a lot though is it?

druidh
    Free Member

That’s almost 7% faster. What did you expect?

DezB
    Free Member

Imagine if you’d raced yourself on the other bike and finished 5 minutes in front… that’s a pretty big margin!

dasnut
    Free Member

If you want to go even quicker, use a higher gear…. therefore you will go faster for the same pedal strokes

for instance I started on my singlespeed 34:17 and now am down to 34:15 and it knocks minutes off each time you change down a sprocket.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and buy a road bike instead of a hybrid. Aerodynamics count once you start going any real speed.

grumm
    Free Member

Yup should have gone for drop handlebars if you wanted to make a big difference to the speed.

Thinner tyres is the only real thing that will have made you quicker than a mtb on that commuter.

Pook

how about you go in the car? That shaves loads off my commute time, and I only have to travel 500 yards

ourmaninthenorth

If you are racing yourself to work, you should have bought yourself a TT bike…. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

For a start it depends on other factors rather than just the bike – how you feel, the weather, the traffic, etc. And 5 mins off isn’t a bad start.

Out of interest how far is your commute – 20 miles?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thinner tyres is the only real thing that will have made you quicker than a mtb on that commuter.

I don’t know, it looks like he’s got a nice big chainring on that thing, and it looks like the chain’s on it.

5 mins off a commute is a massive jump in one go, don’t be disappointed. And it’ll improve as time goes on. A full on roadbike might knock that much off again, but it depends if you want to ride such a thing day in day out. I wouldn’t.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find roads way faster than paths and tracks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had to come to work in the car this morning, normally i come on the bike. 20 mins most days, today it was just over an hour. for 7 miles. 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

21mph average speed, sheesh you’re fast.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t know, it looks like he’s got a nice big chainring on that thing, and it looks like the chain’s on it.

Only works if your legs can push it fast enough – I can ride in a 52×13 and not exceed 10mph.

A friend of mine that I used to commute with, and were about equal on speed over the 17 mile run, recently bought a road bike instead of his hardtail with slicks. He can now average 21-22 instead of 17-18 on the smooth/flat/junctionless bits, however he isnt much faster to work as he still hits all the traffic lights etc and because of that journey time can swing by +-5 mins. And then theres the wind.

takisawa2

Should have bought a road bike.
    Cant imagine that Ridgeback would be any different to a ht on slicks.
    My av on the roadbike is easily 5 – 8mph faster than the mtb.
    Seriously, its probably half the effort if I’m pootling along.

grumm
    Free Member

however he isnt much faster to work as he still hits all the traffic lights etc and because of that journey time can swing by +-5 mins.

Yup this is what makes the most difference ime especially on a shortish commute.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I thought this was gonna be a thread from your wife.

Buy a road bike.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

That ridgeback looks like a flat bared road bike to me and not a hybrid. Going to a full on road bike might make a little more difference but only if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort on your journey. I know when on my road bike i only ever use the drops occasinally as i find it much easier to nogtiate traffic on the hoods as i have a better view.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That ridgeback looks like a flat bared road bike to me and not a hybrid

Slaps forehead. 🙄

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    That ridgeback looks like a flat bared road bike to me and not a hybrid

Slaps forehead.

that was aimed at those saying buy a road bike.

baldSpot
    Free Member

commute is 15 miles and is a bit rough in places (through some woods at one point). a full on roadbike (which i do plan to get) would be totally impracticable for the run for various reasons:
    bike needs to carry a rack
    have enough clearance for spiked tyres in winter
    have enough clearance for full on mudguards
    come in on budget
    not look bling
    swap parts with MTB
    that being said the Flight 01 is very near to a flat bar road bike and, as a commuter, perfect for it’s purpose.
    suppose I’m expecting too much at the start.

druidh
    Free Member

owenfackrell – Member

> Gary_M – Member
    >> That ridgeback looks like a flat bared road bike to me and not a hybrid

> Slaps forehead.

that was aimed at those saying buy a road bike.

And Gary’s comment was aimed at those who don’t know what a hybrid is.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

21mph average speed, sheesh you’re fast.

thanks.

Gary_M
    Free Member

commute is 15 miles

Oh right, you will get a lot faster than 1h 10m then, although I think training rather than a hybrid is the answer. 😉

Indeed druidh, the term ‘flat barred road bike’ is for those that are scared of drop bars and don’t want to appear unfashionable by riding a ‘hybrid’.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘5 mins! Is that all?’ is closed to new replies.