Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 45y+ T-boosters, creatine etc…
  • Earl
    Free Member

Not sure where my other post went…

I’m a still as active as I was 15y ago – bike, strong lift, yoga etc.

Noticing the slowdown of age. Thinking of taking some of the above supplements long term in addition to the fish oil I’m already on.

Anyone else? Noticed much of a difference? Pos? Neg?

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Ive no experience with T-boosters (apart from overhearing the meatheads at the gym who have ‘prescriptions’) but as i get older i too would be curious to see how they help.

Creatine is one of the most researched and proven supplements for muscle power. If you’re lifting weights and smashing sprint starts or just want more explosive power, id highly recommend it. Ignore loading phases and take it consistently. Beta-alanine is also great for cyclists/endurance when taken consistently and long term and worth your money.

There’s far too much gypsy magic and broscience in the health and fitness world sadly.

Earl
    Free Member

I think I might jump on the Creatine then for now.

From what I’ve read (and youtube), a bit more testosterone in mid life is a positive thing for mind and body. But in UK, unless you really need it, don’t think its available to the normal Joe. A bit more research into if T-boosters actually work might be in order. Just read a review on the Bulk Powders booster. One of the 3 ingredients is about libido more than testosterone.

BillOddie

Most T-Boosters that are commercially available are Snake Oil.

If you want to make sure you are producing the most T you can for your age, you need to make sure you are sleeping 8+ hours a night, cutting out alcohol entirely and eating sufficient fat (you probably are already)

Creatine as Hazztrazza states works really well and is assuming you buy from a reputable supplement firm (Bulk powders are reputable) you are safe.

I also use a whey protein supplement and occasionally pre-workout.

w00dster

From my reading a few years ago (probably close to a decade ago) T-Boosters where worthless. You really needed the real Testosterone. I used to play Rugby League & lift. At the end of my Rugby days I carried on lifting and took a number of “supplements” and spent a lot of time researching what I should take.
    From memory, Zinc and Vitamin D where more effective than T-Boosters.
    Hoping I’m not preaching here, but be careful spotting adverts from geniune independent scientific research when you’re googling this.
    Isn’t the main ingredient in T-Boosters Tribulus Terrestis, I’ve not seen any official studies showing this actually works as a Testosterone booster. Fenugreek is another T-Booster product, and again I’ve not seen any independent research showing this does improve Testosterone levels.
    This is supposed to be an article showing Fenugreek was successful in a trial, but I can’t access the link – might work for you?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5278660

There’s also an article from the NCBI stating that with Creatine, interval power performance was increased by 18%, endurance performance was not influenced. Here’s another one as I can’t access the NCBI one. The one below its also worth reading the comments, I’m in the camp that there is no evidence of Creatine working for endurance athletes, but happy to stand corrected if there was independent studies showing this was an incorrect assumption – the only independent study I’ve seen shows no positive impact.

How Effective Is Creatine For Endurance Athletes?

w00dster

Just to add – if you’re still regularly lifting and don’t mind any additional weight gain (so not really worried about endurance) – then Creatine is great.
    I was writing purely from the cycling and endurance angle.

Earl
    Free Member

Much thanks – a bit of reading to do. Endurance is not my goal – a 2 hour ride/session is me done. But I am a ‘max effort in short spurts’ type person.

Creatine = weight gain huh? from extra muscle? or just in general? I’m one of those weird people who gain mass by just looking at a barbell and more mass is the last thing on my goal list.

footflaps

T-boosters – snake oil. If you think you’re low on Testosterone, get tested by your GP and they can prescribe the real thing. NB The big boys in the gym will be taking insanely high doses (100-1000x the natural level) to get that big.

Creatine, lots of evidence it works, but only for those naturally low in it, ie once you hit a minimum level there is no additional gain. So for some it will have no effect. NB I notice no weight / fluid gain when taking it. I also notice no performance gain, so don’t bother any more.

w00dster

Earl, you’ll only gain weight at the onset if you “load”. Normal use will be fine. It’s known as water bloat, but it goes down quickly. Normal use you won’t notice it.
    It’s no where near the water bloat you get with other “supplements”, but still noticeable.
    Creatine isn’t for muscle gain directly, but helps with regards to ATP and explosive power (which then help with muscle gain).

Earl
    Free Member

Look like ceatine is cheap enough from Bulk Powders so worth a try. Expecially if there is no huge chance of negative side effects.

I don’t lift as in ‘lift’ but I have just joined a gym to deadlift. It’s taken me a month to get to 1.5x bodyweight so completely stoked with that. Not interested in more – maintaining that for as long as I can would be great. And reaping the benefits from it.

I’ve never ever taken anything in regards to fitness (fig rolls instead of energy gels) so I’m very interested in what the effect will be.

I hate getting old.

rothdogg
    Free Member

Creatine one of the most proven supplements that does what it says. The other staple would be a whey protein to maintain/build muscle. Zinc, magnesium, vitamin D for hormonal production/wellbeing. Curcumin is an excellent anti inflammatory for joint health and also has heart health benefits. Fish oils for all there benefits.

T-boosters are a waste of money. If you are worried about your testosterone levels it is worth getting a blood test. You can then assess your options for TRT if required

w00dster

Deadlifts and Pull Ups were my bench press and bicep curls….in that they were the two exercises I absolutely loved.
    Unfortunately old rugby injuries blighted any further lifting by me, I’m lucky enough to lift myself out of bed in the morning.
    Getting old isn’t fun! My dad put on an old video of me back at Xmas, I was 95kgs, I’m now just about 70kgs fully dressed. My missus always makes a comment, “Do you remember when you looked like that? And now you have to ask me to open the food jars”.
    It’s been about 7 years since I was able to lift, even doing shoulder press with a tin of beans is pretty much impossible. I used to do 35kg dumbbells in the seated press. I’m 47 and feeling every year of it!

Earl
    Free Member

W00dster – that sounds rubbish.

My daughter is loving rugby at the moment and I can see her wanting to play well into adulthood. You have hit on my biggest fear.

w00dster

Hi Earl, I wouldn’t be put off. Anything can happen in life, if she enjoys it I’d be encouraging it as much as possible. Injuries happen in all sports, even though I played Rugby I still Mountain biked, now i get to mountain bike more often and being 25kgs lighter it’s easier! Always a silver lining!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘45y+ T-boosters, creatine etc…’ is closed to new replies.