Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 456 BB width for shimano square taper crank?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Got a set of M442 cranks like these – http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/56/shimano_fcm442/shimano-m442-square-taper-chainset-443222.html

I cant find the recommended axle width to get the 50mm chainline that On-One recommend.

Would a 118mm axle give me a decent chainline and avoid any potential chainsuck issues (ie chainrings been too close to the chain stay)?

Ta

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

And i thought every other STW user had an On-One…. 😉

Anyone?

Nick

According to this you need 113mm

Sheldon Brown’s BB Size database

Assuming the 442 is the same as the 440

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Lots of on ones out here but probably not many people with that crankset, I had a quick google but couldn’t find the recommended BB for those cranks.

You just want a 5mm longer BB than whatever Shimano recommend for a (normal, older standard) 47.5mm chainline, but I guess you knew that.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers Nick, useful link.

Would there be any harm in running a 118mm axle, would it bring the chainline out too much? Probably been over cautious, but as there are a few reports of chainsuck with the newer On-One frames, im trying work out the best way to prevent it.

RestlessNative
    Free Member
    NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thanks Restlessnative.

So reading that a UN26 113mm will give a 50mm chainline. Based on that, any BB with UN, ie a UN54 should also be the same dimension?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Thats how I read it yeah*

Even with a 50mm chainline I found the outer chainring on my 853 Inbred very very close to the stays, so I indented it to give more clearance (like the older inbreds were)**

Since then however I have gone 22/36 with a short cage mech , don’t think I’d have gotten that in without the indenting actually

*usual disclaimers apply 🙂

**even more disclaimers apply! but Brant said it was fine

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘456 BB width for shimano square taper crank?’ is closed to new replies.