Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)
  • 44k in debt….
  • ransos
    Free Member

So get a private house share for much less.
    Unless you’re telling me that accomodation around Sheffield is more costly than my nice part of Cambridgeshire, which I sincerely doubt.

Surely anyone who warrants a university education can work that out.

So you’d have a first year undergrad try to organise a house share in a cesspit, in a town they don’t know, where they don’t know anybody?

Surely anyone who warrants a university education can work out the meaning of “misanthrope”.

ransos
    Free Member

But shouldn’t WE be voting for our kids futures? Not the baby boomers that really did “never have it so good”?

Our kids are effectively mortgaging their futures to pay for the retirements that their grandparents were promised.

My parents’ generation had it much better than me. I had it much better than my kids will.

My solution is to save like hell so I can give them a start in life unburden by mountains of debt.

ebygomm
    Free Member

New HMO rules in a lot of university cities mean it’s not as simple to rent a house to share as it once was.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, on a tangent slightly, I accumulated £21k of debt in my 20’s. I consolodated it about 3 years ago to pay it off over 7 years, takes up a 1/3 of my wage. It has put a huge block on my life, I can’t afford to live in my own place, go on expensive holidays etc. When it’s gone, it’ll be a huge huge weight off my shoulders. And what do I have to show for it? My bike and my camera – the rest was built up debt on cars and credit cards.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

ahwiles – you’re talking rubbish

example?

graduates at our place start on £23k, that’s £2k over the £21k threshold.

they pay back £200/year, that’s £17/month.

(ok, it’s 9% over the threshold, so it’s actually less than i’m suggesting)

That’s not in perpituity though is it? They will earn more and pay more as they move on and all they will have done in those early years will have been to mitigate some of the compound interest. So by the end of the grad scheme 44k could 45k(they will likely also be paying off debt from living expenses for a number of years too). Basically it’s got to be paid back at some point, whci gives you less to save and less to spend. Those staying on middle incomes being worse affected by paying more for longer.

gogg
    Free Member

aracer – The debt which is related to the abolition of grants rather than the introduction of tuition fees? Well I think you can actually blame that one on Facha, but it might even pre-date her.

You can blame her for the reduction of grants, but the final means tested grants were finished off by Labour in ’98, when they introduced full loans and the £1,000 a year tuition fees.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – maybe I should delete the last 20 years of my CV and apply for graduate jobs. Oh hang on, I’ve just remembered I’m an engineer.

Its sad that so many people see the only benefit of a good education as a higher earning potential.

Sometimes its fun just to learn stuff or, at postgrad level, contribute to the sum of human knowledge.

Can’t do that anymore, unless you are already loaded.

sbob
    Free Member

So you’d have a first year undergrad try to organise a house share in a cesspit, in a town they don’t know, where they don’t know anybody?

No, I’d have them do it in reasonable accommodation, there is no need to live in a cesspit.

Maybe kids these days need their arses wiping for them a bit more. 😕

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds more worthwhile than a degree

ahwiles
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Basically it’s got to be paid back at some point,

no, it doesn’t.

cancelled after 30years iirc.

whci gives you less to save and less to spend.

the new system leaves you with £50/month MORE, income.

more to save, more to spend.

GrahamS

You’ve confused me now, Graham. By saying “mounting fees” and “what the Tories want.” I assumed you were complaining about the fees being increased by the Tories, not them being introduced by Labour.

As I said, Labour are just as bad. I’m complaining about the entire system.

IMO education, in all its forms, should be as open to everyone as we can possibly make it. Having lots of smart people in the population is never a bad thing (unless you are a member of an elitist ruling class).

Not in maths presumably?

Comp Sci BSc(Hons)

Maffs ain’t a strong point, But logic is. 😀

footflaps

Unless you’re telling me that accomodation around Sheffield is more costly than my nice part of Cambridgeshire, which I sincerely doubt.

Talking of central Cambridge (CB1 post code, 5 mins for rail station).

House next door to me is rented out to Anglia Polytechnic Students (or ARU as it now calls itself). £380 pcm for a tiny room (3 bed house sub divided into 6 rooms!).

Assuming 9 month let for an academic year that’s £3,420 per annum.

hora
    Free Member

Just think about all the action that buys you.

Men in their 40’s would spend much more to have sex with numerous 18-21yrs on a daily basis.

Thank you Jesters night club.

aracer
    Free Member

Actually, no it doesn’t.

Those staying on middle incomes being worse affected by paying more for longer.

Depends on your definition of “middle income”. The one you seem to be using is well above national average salary, and certainly more than I earn.

ransos
    Free Member

IMO education, in all its forms, should be as open to everyone as we can possibly make it. Having lots of smart people in the population is never a bad thing (unless you are a member of an elitist ruling class).

+1. And if they happen to earn a lot of money because of it, they pay more tax, don’t they!

gogg
    Free Member

somewhatslightlydazed – Its sad that so many people see the only benefit of a good education as a higher earning potential.”

Yep, I learnt how to think critically, analyse all of the information. That’s why I don’t blame the Tories (on tuition fees), plenty of other things they’re responsible for, but selling out our kids? We can all thank Tony, Gordon, Jack, Peter, David, Charles, Harriet et al for totally shafting our kids. After all they mortgaged the f**king schools under PFI. Buy now pay later in all aspects of education FFS!!

njee20
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon » Average graduate satarting sallary in 2013 was £29,500 IIRC

Hmm – maybe I should delete the last 20 years of my CV and apply for graduate jobs. Oh hang on, I’ve just remembered I’m an engineer.[/quote]

What’s your point? You seem to imply you’re earning less than £30k (which I doubt), but being able to call yourself an engineer is worth more? 😕

Personally you can call me a “shit shovelling tosspot” if you pay me £100k to do it.

MoreCashThanDash

We can argue about it all we like but if moneysavingexpert Martin Lewis thought the loan terms were better than the old, I don’t care how many degrees you lot have got, I’ll agree with him!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not a real loan. You are not held liable for it.

It’s a limited graduate tax. Don’t call it a loan.

chewkw
    Free Member

SD-253 – Member

One daughter university degree 32 £35,000 a year
    second daughter no degree £50,000 a year and a company BMW and neither of them will give me any money surely the bank of Dad should be paid first.

😆 I hope they pay you back in happiness.

Did you fund them for the entire education? Student loan is not yours nor their money. Loan is a loan.

🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Written off when you’re 65, so all you’ve got to do is limit your income to below the following to not pay any back or just hand over 9% of any thing over 16k, so at 23k slary that’d be 9% of 7k p.a. or £60 somethng – can’t be arsed to think hard enough to get the number right

How much do I repay?
    You will repay 9% of anything you earn over the income threshold.

The UK income threshold is:

•£16,910 before tax per year
    •£1,409 before tax per month
    •£325 before tax per week

For example, if you earn £1,650 per month, you would pay 9% of £241, or £21 per month to your student loan.

PLUS whatever you had to borrow to live on

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmm – maybe I should delete the last 20 years of my CV and apply for graduate jobs. Oh hang on, I’ve just remembered I’m an engineer.

As Njee said, I’m not sure how you manage to be an engineering graduate with 20yrs experience on less than £30k, our engineering grads start on considerably more!

You’re way out of date. The cheapest self-catered halls at Sheffield are now more than £4k p.a.

1st years a uni run monopoly, it was over £3k when I was there, and didn’t even have internet or externalphone lines! Unless you’re unable to make friends in the 1st year if you’re paying more than 60% of that in the 2nd you’ve been mugged.

Sheffield was actually pretty cheep for rent, compared to Manchester for example, Crookes was arround 20% less than Fallowfield Road (was that the Manc student area?)

convert

thestabailliser – those are the figures of the old system, not the new system.

aracer
    Free Member

You’re suggesting that Labour AND the Tories got us into this mess, NOT that it was just one OR the other?

badnewz
    Free Member

Higher education is one of the biggest scams going. Let’s hope online learning can disrupt the whole sector and restore some fairness for the students.
    As others have said, some of the top earners I know never went to uni, either learning a trade or starting at a company straight out of school.
    I went when fees were £1k a year, but I wouldn’t go now.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m shocked to note that the average wage is £26.5k. I’m in a technical sales engineering role and only earning £20k. And that with 12 years service in the same company.

Yes, I’m mad. But I only have high school and college qualifications to back up the experience, so getting a job in a different area would be difficult.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Written off when you’re 65,

nope, after 30 years. (iirc)

hand over 9% of any thing over 16k,

£21k.

binners

What I want to know is that ,given the present government inflating the housing market, so the baby boomers can carry on using their properties as cash machines, how on earth is any graduate meant to get on the property ladder, while paying off such enormous debts?

Oh… they’re not. They can just pay increased rents to the generation that ****ed them.

gogg
    Free Member

binners

Amen, that’s the nail on the head.

NO Govt. will let the “free market” correct housing prices, becuase they know that a move like that costs you 13 years in opposition.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I am right now, and indeed was before, though my pro-rata full time was a little more than that, so though I’d be working more hours I’d be earning more (and probably not going to pick up a job working part time). I attach just as much value to calling myself an engineer as the general population does.

njee20
    Free Member

What I want to know is that ,given the present government inflating the housing market, so the baby boomers can carry on using their properties as cash machines, how on earth is any graduate meant to get on the property ladder, while paying off such enormous debts?

Not £44k, but as people have observed time and time again the actual amount is irrelevant, it’s a tax, rather than true debt. The repayments aren’t based on the outstanding debt, so it’s a red herring.

But I bought a house aged 26, with ms njee20, with a 5% deposit and minimal help from parents, in the South East. Yeah ok, been pretty lucky with jobs and that, but IMO it’s not as impossible as folk like to make out!

Well I am right now, and indeed was before, though my pro-rata full time was a little more than that, so though I’d be working more hours I’d be earning more. I attach just as much value to calling myself an engineer as the general population does.

So what was your point? Are you annoyed graduates earn as much as you?

It’s also a known fact that engineers place a far higher value on their title than the general public, hence they have to remind people “I’m an engineer” at every available juncture. Working in an LBS taught me as much, and it’s frequently reinforced on here. It’s the only profession where folk seem to feel they must qualify their knowledge without provocation. Insecurity?

chewkw
    Free Member

You only go to uni if you are studying for science, technology or medical related degree(s).

You don’t need that many people to study social science degrees only to end up working as sales person or doing administrative bureaucratic work.

😀

badnewz
    Free Member

You only go to uni if you are studying for science, technology or medical related degree(s).

In an ideal world, yes, but now even fairly pedestrian jobs require a degree, such as in marketing, consultancy, or business development. The system is rigged in favour of the higher education institutions.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ooops. I concede the repayments threshold bit.

Still shit though, say if you earned a career average of 35k you’d pay back over 50k so you’d have paid all your working life and still not cleared the debt at 6% as it is at the mo according to the site (3% above base rate). OK inflation would take care of that to some extent I guess – thinking as I’m typing. but watching that come out of your salary every month as your grandchildren are setting off for secondary school would grate.

Olly
    Free Member

Meh. You never see it. It comes out of your paye before you get it. All it means is you get paid a few hundred quid less a year. I’m never expecting to pay it off, but I have no problem with the payments. I just view it as a tax to hopefully fund other people through the system, and hopefully they in turn will fund later students

hora
    Free Member

You don’t need that many people to study social science degrees only to end up working as sales person or administrative work.

Anyone going to such degrees now really do need their heads checking.

It is an industry- back in 94 we had 15-20hours a week. Now I understand it can be down to as little as 9hrs!

aracer
    Free Member

Surprised it’s quite that much, though I was well aware my salary hadn’t kept up with inflation and the jobs I’m looking at (which require all that experience) aren’t significantly higher.

<do not rise to the engineer bait, do not rise…>

kelvin

But shouldn’t WE be voting for our kids futures?

Yes. But “we” don’t.

= :87(

Doug
    Free Member

Not got a problem with them myself.

Not paid a penny back on my 3 mortgage loans from the early 90’s and have never considered them a debt just an extra tax threshold. I’m going part time in the next couple of months and they expire in 2019 so chances are that I never will pay them back.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘44k in debt….’ is closed to new replies.