Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 264 total)
  • 40mph plan for country roads
  • zokes
    Free Member

eerrrrmmm … for inexperience drivers and with speed they get the tunnel vision so what signs?

I think you may need a few more lessons yet 😯

Also, how would you see the mandatory 40 signs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

I’ve driven over the Rannoch Moor road many times, not done it on my motorbike. Thing is no matter how good TJ’s eyesight is he cannot see the unexpected and when the unexpected happens and your on a public road others are put at risk.

this is nonsense – you can see for miles, nothing much on the roadside to conceal stuff. As a defensive rider you are looking for the unexpected all the time constantly scanning for hazards potential and real – and if there are no other vehicles around how am I putting others at risk?

It can be perfectly safe to do 100+ mph in the right place and time. It can be very dangerous to ride even below the speed limit in the wrong place and time.

BTW – this sign is the GLF sign

Go Like Flip

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody good idea.
    If you want to be some where earlier, start earlier. It will save fuel for a start and I am slowly beginning to feel that that is a responsibility we all need.
    Why do we have that mnoronic need to do everything faster? There was nowt wrong with writing a letter, rather than sending atext or waiting a few days rather than getting something through the door tomorrow.
    As for saving lives. That has 2 sides. If it stop just one death to a 3rd party caused by some one going to fast for their own limitations then thats great.
    Killing yourself is fair enough , infact tough luck .
    Having said all of that though a government based in a city has no right to dictate to rural dwellers, just as city dwellers have no right to dictate . Of course that works the other way as well. I care nowt about what what happens in London for example.

donsimon
    Free Member

this is nonsense – you can see for miles, nothing much on the roadside to conceal stuff. As a defensive rider you are looking for the unexpected all the time constantly scanning for hazards potential and real – and if there are no other vehicles around how am I putting others at risk?

Because when you go A over T after the blow out, some poor sod has to come and scrape you off the road and the mere fact trhat they are driving puts them at risk. Or perhaps your spidey senses will be able to predict puntures too. But go for it, you clearly know best.
    EDIT: What if everyone decides to ride like you? There would be chaos.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I have driven the Rannoch road a few years ago and although its a long empty straight I would never feel safe from deer at say,70mph +. Yes its a 170mph motorbike stretch but I would never feel safe even around 80-90mph.
    In a modern car with lots more stopping power than a bike I still wouldn’t feel safe on that road at 80-90mph in daylight(with deer in mind). They appear from nowhere. A big stag will be more visible but the young deer can just come in to view at the last minute. Scanning around 50ft in off the road left and right is a mare once you get up to speed. The brain can’t cope with looking out for deer as well as looking at the road in front of you*. At speeds above the limit its impossible to keep an eye on everything as much as you need to (to be 100% safe from animals running out)
    Infact.. why a freekin deer?! Hitting a badger that’s just been spooked by 13k revs on a motorbike will still take you out.

*but I have to admit that I often do night rides on the motorbike down Loch Ness,maybe head towards Skye and do a loop over to Glen Garry and back home again. Sometimes in the daylight I’ll ride a stretch slow and have a look out for deer before doubling back for another crack at it 8)

If you own a motorbike and have driven the road between Invermorriston and kyle of Lochalsh you’ll know what the road is like a few miles either side of the Cluanie Inn ;O) As far as deer are concerned I reckon I’d be the first one on STW to have one take me out on the bike so.. aye,nice knowing you’s and wish me luck on my night rides!

(didn’t come to this thread to preach or argue.. just tell the truth)

edit: maybe I was preaching?!

grum
    Free Member

and if there are no other vehicles around how am I putting others at risk?

So the presence of other vehicles is the only way you could be putting others at risk along that stretch (which as I said above is popular with sightseers, walkers and photographers)? Just shows you have really thought through the possible hazards and are alert to all potential risks doesn’t it. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blowout? with tubeless tyres with sealant in? 🙂 Expensive high quality ones with more than 3 mm tread?

the simple point is that 100+ mph on rannoch moor is no more dangerous than 50 mph on the south loch earn road for example or the wee mad road in inverpolly. All have 60 limits. Rannoch moor is as safe at well above the speed limit than the other two are at well under the speed limit.

But then – as we know from numerous threads on here most people have no idea how to judge risk ( believing cycling to be dangerous for example) and have no idea about safety and certainly cannot distinguish between passive and active safety.

I am living proof it is not dangerous – I am still alive as are many of my friends – and 100+ mph on rannoch moor is commonplace ( or used to be until they put the stealth cop bikes on it 🙂 )

grum
    Free Member

I am living proof it is not dangerous

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. If someone else tried to use that ridiculous anecdotal statement as ‘evidence’ you would be the first to shoot them down.

In my youth I’ve drunk driven a fair few times – presumably that’s not dangerous either then as I never crashed.

martinxyz
    Free Member

lol

donsimon
    Free Member

the simple point is that 100+ mph on rannoch moor is no more dangerous than 50 mph on the south loch

You really do come out with some utter rubbish TJ.

I am living proof it is not dangerous – I am still alive as are many of my friends – and 100+ mph on rannoch moor is commonplace ( or used to be until they put the stealth cop bikes on it )

Oh deary, deary me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Martinxyz – nonsense – you can see the deer easily and I would be scanning far further than you say. They do not appear from nowhere. Nothing appears from no where if yo are riding properly and paying attention. Just because you cannot do it does not mean its impossible

Oh – and a bike will stop as well as a car – and once again you show your limitations and believe they apply to all.

So yes – you are not telling the truth – you are extrapolating your experience to others – its your opinion and as from previous thread you do not understand the correct lines to take when cornering and do not understand how to maximise sightlines so anything you say about bikes is suspect at best.

Grand fishing on stw petrol head threads.

grum
    Free Member

Let’s compare for a moment TJs apoplectic rage about people anti-socially biking on Ben Nevis with his own anti-social speeding or RLJing habits.

Hypocritical? Bizarre double-standard/’rules’ which only apply to other people? Surely not.

donsimon
    Free Member

so anything you say about bikes anything is suspect at best.

😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don simon -= do you know the roads in question?

rannoch moor is well surfaced, wide and with visibility of miles, south loch earn is tight twisty adn badly surfaced with visibility in yards. both 60 mph limits, 60 mph almost impossible on one and easily exceeded on the other

martinxyz
    Free Member

Jeremy,when I bought that bike of mine I drove it home from Killin to Aberfeldy then on to the A9. The bike had approx 120bhp more than my previous bike and the roads were wet with leaves. I found out when I got it home that the tyres were around 20psi! A slow,scary and dangerous first ride. Not sure what the Loch Earn road is like (just looked on the map as I thought it might have been the road that I took the bike home on)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My RLJ or speeding has never inconvenienced anyone. This is a simple truth. the bogtrotters on the Ben did – and apoplectic rage? get a grip.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don simon -= do you know the roads in question?

What has this to do with anything? You’ve already demonstrated that this is part of your strategy. Yet when the experience question is thrown at you, you choose to ignore it. I will pay you the same compliment by ignoring your question and simply let you guess.
    High speed blow outs and accidents can happen on any roads, they even happen to pro riders. Are you a pro rider TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am really amused by the accusations of hypocrisy. Do you guys not understand what it means?

My attitude is all about the effects on others. the boggies on the Ben inconvenienced loads of folk, my speeding and occasional RLJing inconvenienced no one.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Well that previous post was not hunting for anything,just being chatty. No need to get bitchy and bring up a whole heap of stuff and pile it on me when its others that are getting yer blood boiling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blood boiling – ? I am laughing at them.

grum
    Free Member

TJ I’ve walked along the side of that road and it’s a very unpleasant and quite scary experience how fast/close people zoom past you, never mind the loud noise that bikes make through one of the most beautiful and wild-feeling bits of the country.

There are also sections where the dips to the side or vegetation could easily conceal a deer that you couldn’t see until too late.

But your desire to speed is very important obviously and must override all other considerations.

And yes you’re a hypocrite, because one of your main gripes was about the Boggies breaking your interpretation of the access code (btw I agreed about it being anti-social), but you have decided that other rules and codes needn’t apply to you if you don’t agree with them.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Aye, but yer snapping at me ;O)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never seen a pedestrain on it and if I did I would slow and give a wide berth. – as I always do and as I do for cyclists. a modern bike is so fast its no hardship to lose and gain a bunch of MPH

Tahts the point – there is a time and a place for speeding – and that is only when it does not impinge upon others and when the conditions are right

Martin – sorry – but to be told what is safe and what isn’t by someone with far less experience than me grates

grum
    Free Member

I love the way you’re ignoring the criticism of this spectacular piece of bullshit too.

I am living proof it is not dangerous – I am still alive as are many of my friends

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grum – it got exactly the reaction I expected 🙂 good bait

grum
    Free Member

Night.

(yeah I know it says ‘whoe’ not ‘whole’)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grum

TandemJeremy – Member

…………………………

As usual an STW petrol head thread is a fine fishing ground
    Posted 1 day ago #

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ain’t angry.
    On this thread I have been taking the piss along with making a simple point about relative safety of roads that some are much safer than others despite the same speed limit.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Martinxyz – nonsense

Many would disagree.

you can see the deer easily

A small deer crouched down or behind a hedge on the Rannoch road when biking around 100mph.. If you say so.

and I would be scanning far further than you say

I said that to scan 50ft INWARDS from the roadside on BOTH sides of the road as well as looking at the road in front of you is not something your brain will manage to do safely at those speeds. If you picked up all that the way I hoped you’d pick it up then are you saying you would be scanning further inland on both sides of the road more than 50ft while still managing to keep your imaginary third eye on the road ahead of you at all times….. going the speeds you talketh of on the Rannoch road?

They do not appear from nowhere

See above,2nd quote’s answer.

Nothing appears from no where if yo are riding properly and paying attention.

See above,2nd quote’s answer involving crouching deer and/or hedges….. while you bimble along towards them safely,at 100mph,98 decibels,9 thousand revs,with reactions similar to a 21 year old…

Just because you cannot do it

Yes,I couldn’t do all that whilst riding at 100mph and know (and stupidly say) that It’s perfectly safe on that road with no threats that could run out in front of you. No,not me. Maybe you..maybe others with the same mindset.. but not me. You are correct there,Jeremy.

does not mean its impossible

It is impossible to ride on that road,at 100mph,and say that it can be perfectly safe when you haven’t a clue where wildlife lurks.

Oh – and a bike will stop as well as a car – and once again you show your limitations and believe they apply to all.

If a deer ran out on you whilst hitting 100mph,Jeremy.. you would have a far greater chance of controlling it under massive braking in a car than on your bike. I agree,bikes can stop as quick and often a lot quicker than cars,but with the amount you have been on a bike over the years..I would happily put money,any money,that you would stop a modern car a lot quicker and safer in the heat of the moment.

So yes – you are not telling the truth

No,you misunderstood.I said I WAS telling the truth. I didn’t come to lie about not speeding and going back for another shot at the road near Cluanie. I said I was telling the truth.

its your opinion and as from previous thread you do not understand the correct lines to take when cornering

You bring something up from a previous thread? O.K. let me bring it back too. You seem to have forgotten the argument. A road that was in a 40mph zone close to where I work has a nasty left hander on it that is actually safer to approach closer to the middle of the lane you are on. I talked to the northern constabulary bikesafe instructor about the exact corner and like I have already told you, he agreed with me regarding how quickly you would have to steer back in towards your own side of the road if a car came from the other direction on that particular bend. He also appreciated how often oncoming cars tend to cut that corner in question. Another reason to ‘drive to suit the conditions’ as he put it. Basically saying that you can’t drive exactly the way we were told to navigate every left hander by positioning on the right hand side of the road as quite often there’s other problems that could arise making the ‘correct’ way more dangerous.Do you understand that? If you don’t,please contact him about the corner in question and he’ll explain how and why it differs,O.K?

do not understand how to maximise sightlines so anything you say about bikes is suspect at best

See previous answer.There’s no point in maximising sightlines to keep yourself out of danger if it ends up putting you into ANOTHER danger.

It’s taken me a while,but hopefully that answers all of what you questioned. As I’m sure most on here would agree.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don – note the post I made yesterday as quoted above. Fine fishing indeed as I said yesterday

martinxyz
    Free Member

Sorry folks,I argued!

donsimon
    Free Member

Don – note the post I made yesterday as quoted above. Fine fishing indeed as I said yesterday

My apologies TJ, you are just so clever and a bit of a wag to boot. Good effort. I’ll just take the position that you’re taking the piss from now on as you can’t be trusted, you little tinker, I just thought it was a credibility issue… I feel a bit stupid now.
    Respect to martinxyz, that’s one hell of a post, good work fella. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Martin – I am not going to argue with you but my decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding gives me a very different perspective to you.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Jeremy.. fancy a bike tour? 😀

Oh go onnnnn, It’ll be funnnnnn! Looking in our mirrors at each other, Wondering what we might be muttering,or screaming,under the mouthpiece. Maybe the eye language will say it all! (no tinted visors allowed,mind) ;O)

donsimon
    Free Member

Martin – I am not going to argue with you but my decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding gives me a very different perspective to you.

See, flipping hilarious, you should really be on stage TJ, hang on, you probably have, haven’t you? What was your stage name? You’re among friends here…

martinxyz
    Free Member

Martin – I am not going to argue with you but my decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding gives me a very different perspective to you

I totally agree.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Martin – I no longer own bike other than a 35 bhp twin and have not ridden one for a couple of years or more – I will be very rusty and slow nowadays otherwise I would. it would take me a good few thousand miles to get back up to speed

martinxyz
    Free Member

We’re only talking 60 maybe 70mph tops ;O)

Nah,I’m kidding. I usually ride alone. Well the last biggish ride to Ullapool was with the boss last month. Still prefer riding alone.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Back on topic. I just wish they would put limiters in every vehicle to slow them down to whatever limit they are in.

I am so sick fed up of people reeling me in when I get into 30 or 40 zones,giving me the feeling that I am slowing them down. It also makes me anxious as I feel that they are thinking I am doing it on purpose.

I aim to go just over the speed limit on the dials (probably just under the actual limit in real money) and I still seem to be pissing off 95% of all kinds of drivers in these zones.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would like far more traffic police to enforce the law – and far tougher testing with mandatory retesting every 5 years

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘40mph plan for country roads’ is closed to new replies.