Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 40l heavy duty backpack. tactical ones any good?
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I can’t seem to find one. When I search for them that’s “tactical” backpacks come up are they heavy duty.

I find backpacks tend to go in the straps. Used for work and day trips for carrying a combination of a large laptop plus multiple cable and peripherals, some limited tools. Plus usual things like lunch, water, some cloths, a book. Useful tone able to strap a coat outside.

Not keen on most laptop backpacks like the Swiss cross ones.

ElShalimo

Look at Aiguille Alpine from Staveley

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have tended to wind walking / hiking ones too light weight and not wearing very well. More designed unsurprisingly for things like jacket etc that are bulky and light weight that you carry walking etc.

Alpha1653

Camelbak Motherlode if you can find one. Clean lines but covered in molle to add pouches of needed. Not overly bulky but can carry a huge amount of heavy kit. Mine’s been absolutely thrashed but barely has a mark on it. 36L with a removable back plate, removable waist strap, 3 litre bladder if needed. Normally you can get them in black as well as tan.

jimdubleyou

This sort of thing – https://www.511tactical.com/rush-24-backpack.html

I have a black one, it’s fairly discrete, and capacious. Still going after a few years of abuse.

beaker

+1 for the 5.11 Rush. I have the 72 and it’s still going strong. Seem to recall it having a lifetime warranty as well.

mojodave
    Free Member

Myself, and quite a few work colleagues use Miltec.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mil-Tec-MOLLE-Tactical-Assault-Backpack/dp/B004LSBYR0

Just checked my purchase history – September 2014, and used for every work shift since, so lasting well. Good value at £30.

grum
    Free Member

If you don’t mind spending the cash evergoods are amazing. Guy from Patagonia and a guy from Go Ruck who make military style packs.

https://evergoods.us/

CountZero

I bought a new ‘tactical’ rucksack recently for work, the tactical bit comes from having Mollé webbing attachments on the outside. Mine also had a USB/headphone hardpoint on the outside as well. Only had it about a month, but it seems to be strong enough.
    Cost £20 off ebay.
    I’ll see if I can find the link, it certainly seems to cope with all the crap I carry to work, waterproof jacket, a tin lunchbox, two of those whizzy metal waterbottles, large first-aid kit, pencil bag full of cables, 10,000MaH charge pack, and other bits and bobs.
    If it lasts a couple of years, for the money I’m not going to bitch about it.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50L-Outdoor-Military-Tactical-Army-Backpack-Rucksack-Camping-Hiking-Trekking-Bag/402179276713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=672111405302&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you don’t mind spending the cash evergoods are amazing. Guy from Patagonia and a guy from Go Ruck who make military style packs.

https://evergoods.us/

Look lovely but not quite what I am looking for. Look like the usual lightweight stuff built for a few clothes and MacBook air.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The problem I am finding is the bags available are either mega money (seen something I like but ~£200) or nice and cheap but doubtful about them lasting, or fashion based and frequently small.

matt_outandabout

You seem to want cheap but high quality, light yet ‘tactical’ (which by definition is tough and heavy)….?

vondally
    Free Member

Not military or tactical ones but good ruck sack companies

Macpac
    Deuter – recommend guide range however a fairly chunky hip belt edit which on some models is removable
    Both of the above have been in flash sales so reduced
    Osprey excellent warrenty if something goes wrong

Gregory packs are on sale , I have no idea of robustness but seem to come recommendation

prettygreenparrot

40L for everyday carry, I’d guess a lot of everyday bags are 30L-35L.

I used a couple of courier bags until I mangled my IVDs. One was a mid-sized timbuk2, the other a larger RELoad. The latter I used for several years and aside from being more flexible was otherwise unharmed by daily commutes and international travel with every day stuff, 2 laptops on trips, and notebooks and so on.

once I mangled my back I needed to use a backpack. A small, tough one. Like the OP I’m not a fan of most ‘laptop backpacks’. I use a cactusoutsoor Portal backpack. 35L, but big enough for everyday stuff, macbookpro in a sleeve and a work Lenovo plus adapters. Aside from the polythene coating peeling off the inside of the outer pocket that Portal continues to be very hard wearing. I’m sure there must be very similar bags available closer to home.

‘tactical’ bags. I kind of like these but they sometimes look a bit OTT with their molle malarkey. And they often seem narrow and deep.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You seem to want cheap but high quality, light yet ‘tactical’ (which by definition is tough and heavy)….?

IME the above describes Highlander Outdoors stuff. They make civvy, forces and ‘pro-forces’ stuff. The company that sponsors Mark Beaumont (to tie-in with cycling)

I bought a 50+15 Highlander rucksack a few years ago. Quality, construction and design is very, very good, with tons of adjustability. Rugged, high denier. It was also about £55 from a local outdoors shop, which IMO was a complete bargain.

Like most walking rucksacks though they tend to be tall and narrow. What width do you require?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a green north face bag.

I bought it used off oldtennosshoes.

It’s been to hell and back traveling globally to shitholes, rattling around the beds of Hilux , crammed into the boots of landcruisers abused by helicopter operatives , crammed into overheads , been overloaded almost every day of its life since I owned it.

Still looks good as new…..outlived three laptops.

Wasn’t mega bucks new.

Looks kinda tactical.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Appears it’s only a 26l vault I have.

You’d have to go up to a router to get 40l.

I went down this route as many of the *rucksack* style bags of today are tall and narrow and are a pain to load for day to day use and everything ends up stacked

I find short and fat and not thin ripstop nylon works best.

The less straps and faff on the outside the better for travel. It’s those that get hung up and tear the pack to shreads.

db

Use a 5.11 Rush 12 for work and overnight business trips. For you the larger size would be needed. Few years old and no sign of real wear.

Kuco

Something totally different without looking like a military wannabe I’ve got an Oakley surf backpack. I’ve had it years and still going strong.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Mission Workshop –

I have a 20L backpack – it’s 6 years old and it looks brand new. Expensive, yes, built to last, absolutely.

greentricky
    Free Member

Have you looked at Eastpak? They come with a 30 year guarantee

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t want light weight tough is the main Thing. Tactical is only because if I Google heavy duty backpack that’s what comes up, I was wondering is that really the case. I don’t mind spending a bit but £200 is too much. £100 is more the limit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As good 30-35 would probably be ok.

Trailrat has it with the aspect ratio being wrong on hiking ones.

Not sold on the tatical thing looks too army it’s the tough bit it’s quite often the weight being carried they fail on . I’ll look up the eastpak but last time I looked they were more in the 20something range

TheBrick
    Free Member

I like the courier bag build quality but much prefer backpacks. But very limited choice out there for courier bag style backpacks.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

Cotopaxi make same decent bags. Both of us have used ours for day to day, short haul, and long haul travel over the last 3 years.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Karrimor SF are excellent. And just last and last.

Different part of the company to standard Karrimor.

vondally
    Free Member

If you go backpack route, personally I think they are better for your back and posture

Try osprey transporter on sportspursuit at £50 …..we have a older one been great.

grum
    Free Member

Look lovely but not quite what I am looking for. Look like the usual lightweight stuff built for a few clothes and MacBook air.

They are tough as old boots, but not within your budget. You have to import from the US so fees etc on top.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some interesting additions to look through there thanks. Will spend some time looking properly.

TheBrick
    Free Member

They are tough as old boots, but not within your budget. You have to import from the US so fees etc on top.

Tis the problem with online shopping not being able to get a good feel for things. Shame. Thanks for the pointer. I may get frustrated and up the budget!

peekay

If you get a ‘tactical bag‘ you’ll have people stopping you on the street asking what colour the boat house is at Hereford.

CountZero

Light/cheap/strong – pick any two…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘40l heavy duty backpack. tactical ones any good?’ is closed to new replies.