Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • £400 VW Golf bangernomics
  • welshfarmer

I have a 2003 Audi A3 1.8T about to be sold. Same motor and chassis as the Golf, but without the rusty wings. Will stick it on classifieds shortly

RustyNissanPrairie

I discovered why it feels faster than 130hp….

Look at that for a rocker cover! It’s not a sticker either, it’s dipped/in moulded or something.

FB-ATB

Dem wheels on Binnners are the ones put on mine. I like the wheels, but as the car is the std VW free grey colour they loose their appeal in the greyness. Hence I’m tempted to put the standard silver allots back on.

duncancallum

@binners it’s now cut up and the interesting bits are going in my old mk2 scirocco.

binners

It’s a good solid motor Dunc. It’d just had a timing belt and water pump on it and new shocks on the front

simian
    Free Member

That’s a LOT of car for the money.

My Daily for the last few years (60 miles of country lanes every day) is a 2005 Polo Gt. Same 130PD engine, but remapped up to about 170bhp. It’s the torque on these that makes then nippy, mines about 300 ft/lb.

Totally trouble free so far, bought on 67k now on 110. 20K on the remap.

Matt24k
    Free Member

@RustyNissanPrairie

It looks like the boost pipes have been upgraded and the that an EGR replacement pipe has been fitted too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@rusty that’s been hydrodipped, means nothing really.

Check the intercooler though, you don’t do all the pipes without good reason.

RustyNissanPrairie

It looks like the boost pipes have been upgraded and the that an EGR replacement pipe has been fitted too.

👍 it’s had EGR delete and the rocker cover was a replacement when the timing belt was done, the head gasket and valve stem seals were replaced during the timing belt job as the idler bolt snapped in the process and required the cylinder head removal.

But more importantly I found £3 in the armrest so the car effectively cost me £397!

joefm

Looks the same as our family one which is just about to tick over £200k.

Mechanically feels really tight (pd130). Front arches starting to rust. Think it’ll do another 100k tbh

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve been playing with the idea of getting a really old VW as a daily driver. Specifically a MK1 Golf GTI. I’ve always had VW’s and enjoy fettling with them, but the one thing that worries me is scrotes trying to nick it all the time. I’d be relying on this car daily for work so really don’t want the hassle of it always going missing. Anyone have experience with this?

binners

I’ve been playing with the idea of getting a really old VW as a daily driver. Specifically a MK1 Golf GTI.

You’ll need to take out a second mortgage for that, if you can find one

Bangernomics that most certainly isn’t

jambourgie
    Free Member

Bangernomics that most certainly isn’t

No, slight thread derailment… 🙂 Always wanted one, convertible especially. Old enough to take the insurance hit now.

binners

I drew them all up for a bloke who’d had them all. Always red. This is a 1.5 metre high print onto alloy plate he’s got up in his front room He picked it up in a standard looking Mk7 GTi, that on closer inspection wasn’t very standard at all 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kL6W6o]Golf GTi composite 2[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

wzzzz
    Free Member

The best galv in the world doesn’t last 20 years.

Still for the money why not.

A mk4 golf track car?! I thought I’d heard it all.

porter_jamie

i bought an ibiza with a 100hp pd engine recently as a drive to work shitter. paid 600 quid for it and probably same again on tyres, brakes, cambelt and oil changes etc. it does an easy 50mpg average, 55 on a run and as it is so small it is really easy to park. i put winters on it for the snow and it ploughed on like a good ‘un. the joys of a car you dont care about – i can park it in a hedge, people can open doors on it at the supermarket and i wouldnt even notice. i hoping i get a good couple of years out of it. my other car and the wife’s car are both auto, and i have smashed it into gear without the clutch a couple of times – so if it needs a new dmf or gearbox im losing 🙁

@simian
    did the remap make mpg better or worse?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s quite cool Binners

Shows the golfs descent into obscurity quite well.

bsims
    Free Member

it’s had EGR delete

That makes them feel more responsive.

Also if I remember the pre 2004 6 speed manual box couldn’t handle the 228lb/ ft of the 130PD so the Golfs had a 5 speed box which was burlier. I think the old box was rated to 212 lb /ft. After 2005 the Polo GT and Fabia VRS and Ibiza FR had a newer 6 speed box which could take up to 258 lb/ft

RustyNissanPrairie

one month and 1k mile update.
    Erm….nothing much to report. Serviced with Mann filters, oil filter is in a genius position on top of the block so you don’t need to scrabble around underneath the car (I sucked the oil out via the dipstick).
    Does just under 60mpg on a 50mile A-road and motorway run.
    Hasn’t been washed yet.
    Bargain.

joshvegas
    Free Member

oil filter is in a genius position on top of the block so you don’t need to scrabble around underneath the car (I sucked the oil out via the dipstick).

Right? Quite afew things on that car are a piece of piss its like they planned it. Even the timingbelt is hardly an awkward task and the aux belt i did in a halfords car park faster than the halfords guy could swap a bulb in his wee tent thing.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been playing with the idea of getting a really old VW as a daily driver. Specifically a MK1 Golf GTI. I’ve always had VW’s and enjoy fettling with them, but the one thing that worries me is scrotes trying to nick it all the time. I’d be relying on this car daily for work so really don’t want the hassle of it always going missing. Anyone have experience with this?

A somewhat late response to this @jambourgie. I run a Mk2 GTi as a daily – I also have a VR6 Corrado – and it actually works pretty well. For starters, the mechanicals are basic compared to modern cars so you can fix it yourself and pretty much any fault that happens has already happened to someone else and is documented on the interweb. Spares are cheap and easy to access. Smaller wheels mean cheaper tyres. It’s also really good fun to drive in a slightly primitive, basic, connected sort of way. Practical too with the hatchback and fold down seats. Mine’s been mostly pretty reliable bar a broken clutch cable and a driveshaft that broke and fell off on the A6. That’s over a decade or more. I also dinged a wheel and various bits on the Hardknott in my previous Mk2, but that was me and a huge pot-hole rather than being the car’s fault.

Downsides? Sound ones at any sort of reasonable price are increasingly hard to find, ditto ones that haven’t been bastardised by eejits. They are old cars, so occasionally things just wear out, perish, die etc, but as above, spares are easy to source – VW Heritage are good, but there are plenty of other options. They are not secure cars, pretty much all Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs have been subjected to pry-ins on the front door handles, hence the security plates you sometimes find on them. And they are not safe by modern standards.

As far as theft goes, so far – touch wood – I’ve not had an issue with that. But then even ‘expensive’ early Golfs are still worth a lot less than some dull repmobile or family hatchback / SUV. I’m more concerned about dings from braindead shoppers in supermarket car parks tbh.

I think the central issue is that any Mk1 Golf sound enough to be a reliable daily is also likely to be too expensive and too nice to use as a daily. A Mk2 is probably a better call, but they’re also going up in price. I suspect you’d end up keeping the Golf for weekends and buying something cheap and cheerful for daily use. Oh, whatever you do, don’t bother with a Mk3 GTi, just a dull, gutless thing that should never have had a GTi badge. I owned one for 18 months or so and it was a bit rubbish.

stumpy01

RustyNissanPrairie

one month and 1k mile update.

All sounds good! Bargain!!
    I sold my Ibiza for £400. I think the next owner only got about another 20k miles out of it, before it was toast.
    But, I sold him it with 274k miles on it & he decided it would be a good idea on a 13 year old car that was still on original clutch, injectors, turbo etc. to have it mapped to 180bhp. He was a bit of a barry-boy.

bsims

Also if I remember the pre 2004 6 speed manual box couldn’t handle the 228lb/ ft of the 130PD so the Golfs had a 5 speed box which was burlier. I think the old box was rated to 212 lb /ft. After 2005 the Polo GT and Fabia VRS and Ibiza FR had a newer 6 speed box which could take up to 258 lb/ft

Mine was the 130PD & had the 6-speed box, on an 03 plate. I test drove the 100 version & that only had the 5-speed.
    The 6-speed gearbox in the 130pd was the same one as put into the Cupra I believe, which had 160bhp & moar torques (can’t remember how much) and the 130 was commonly re-mapped to ~170bhp without gearbox issues – the clutch was a bit touch & go apparently.

RustyNissanPrairie

oil filter is in a genius position on top of the block so you don’t need to scrabble around underneath the car (I sucked the oil out via the dipstick).

Right? Quite afew things on that car are a piece of piss its like they planned it. Even the timingbelt is hardly an awkward task and the aux belt i did in a halfords car park faster than the halfords guy could swap a bulb in his wee tent thing

One surprising thing was how long it takes the PD engine to get any temperature in the oil which probably points to their longevity due to not needing to rev it. I took it on my usual ‘warm up route’ which for my Transit or Volvo is enough to get the oil warm and thin enough to Pela suck it out yet the Golf oil was still cool and viscous.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You won’t be enjoying that in winter 😂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My GF is currently driving a 2003 Focus we got her for £350.
    It’s gone through 2 MOTs and nearly 3 years with barely anything spent on it.
    If it died tomorrow it’s cost would be about the same as 1 month’s depreciation on my car.
    Bangernomics is great when you find the right car.

bsims
    Free Member

@stumpy01 – I must have my dates mixed up. I suppose they just didn’t alter production for the later the Golf GTPDs.

Yeah, the Ibiza Cupra had that box, my Mum had one and it was considerably faster, bumpier and noisier than the 130bhp cars.

@RustyNissanPrairie
    – I seem to remember when I had the egg delete warm up took even longer, make sure you have hat and gloves in the door bin for winter.

RustyNissanPrairie

Update!
    MOT due in a few weeks but sold to a VW fanboy work mate for £400 that I bought it for. I did the rear brakes, wheel bearing and replaced a sun visor clip but otherwise cost me nothing for 7k miles!

Awesome little car – loved driving it.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘£400 VW Golf bangernomics’ is closed to new replies.