Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 4 hours in manchester
  • iDave
    Free Member

later today while my daughter and her friends shop. things to do, places to go? cafes, bookshops, quirky places other than canal street? Ta.

MartynS

peoples museum down by the civil justice centre, great cafe..!

binners

The City Art Gallery is always worth a visit. Some good stuff on at the moment

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/whats-on/

Pity Urbis has now been shut to make way for the Football Museum, as it has had some fantastic exhibitions on recently. I'm sure the football museum will be really really interesting.

See if you can get a taster session booked at the velodrome. Only 5 minutes out of the centre

hora
    Free Member

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/ (in there is the Marshal Neys retreat from Moscow) next to China town. Have Dim Sum then wander down to the http://www.mosi.org.uk/

uplink
    Free Member

Go to Hora's office
    I'm sure you could while away an hour or two just watching him trying to get through the day

The Lowry gallery isn't bad

binners

Good Call Martyn. I've not been since it re-opened. The first exhibition has had cracking reviews!!!

Go down and have Lunch at Dukes of 92, They have an amazing cheese menu

iDave
    Free Member

thanks comrades, will head for city gallery first

project
    Free Member

Museum of science and industry, MOSI, just off Deansgate, and near Evans Cycles.

gazman
    Free Member

+1 for mosi its really interesting.

project
    Free Member

Cheap cafe with waitress service opposite Debenhams in the Arndale centre.Good quality cheap food.

The canal from Canal street either way lots of industrial heritage abnd some freindly people along there.

Mosi working steam engines,trains very industrial, mans stuff,and lots more also from the top floor views over the Actual Coronation St.

Oh and MOSI IS FREE.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

+1 for Marshal Ney's retreat from Moscow. Could look at that picture for hours.

hora
    Free Member

Yes. You tend to sit there and 'get lost' in the painting. Running from right to left following the line of retreat and the story.

I also like the other painting- Charge of the Light Brigade (not sure what its called/who by).

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

You can't see Corrie St. anymore. They've blocked the windows off.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

another one for a wander around the science and industry museums – free to go round.

4hrs wont be long enough to see it all – but its plenty of time to wander around the power hall – lots of old steam engines from mills, and locos, and the air and space hall across the round.

voodoo_chile

have a buffet chinese at "pan asia" in chinatown lovely has a selection of japanese food in there as well

iDave
    Free Member

Went to the gallery which was grand, checked out the ease of removing a Lowry from the wall (waved at camera), drank lots of coffee, looked at top totty in Harvey Nicks, read half of Machiavelli's Prince. And had a kip on a sofa in M&S. Result.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘4 hours in manchester’ is closed to new replies.