Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 3/4 Tights
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Recommendations please for a pair of 3/4 ‘tights’ which will come below the knee – preferably with knee warmers built in?

I have a pair of Ground Effect’s with built-in knee warmers, but these have shrank so warm my leg instead!

Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

a pair of 3/4 ‘tights’ which will come below the knee – preferably with knee warmers built in?

Not sure what you mean, all 3/4 lycra shorts go below the need, that’s why they’re called 3/4 and they all cover the knee.

I have roubaix dhb ones, the Vaeon I think, that are great and castelli ones, Sorpasso, that are even better.

bonesetter
    Free Member

It’s something like this I’m after

Not bibs though

Gary_M
    Free Member

DHB do these but I have no experience of them. More a spring/autumn item I think.

DHB 3/4

Any reason not to want bibs, they’re much warmer and more comfortable than non bibs.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I couldn’t get a bib to fit my very long body

It was in my future offspring’s interests to ditch the bib idea 🙂

gren
    Free Member

Go for bibs. They warm that spot at the small of your back when your jersey tends to ride up or is pulled up by your Camelbak (or is it just me?). Much more comfortable too with the only downside being if you need to take a ‘comfort break’ out on the trails.

They look ridiculous but once you’ve got your baggies on over the top who’s to know.

I wear Sugoi RS Zeros – mainly cos I’ve always got on with their padded undercrackers. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sugoi-rs-subzero-bib-knicker/

mogrim

Love my Specialized 3/4 bibs, nice warm fleecy material, good pad. Not that expensive either.

They look ridiculous but once you’ve got your baggies on over the top who’s to know.

Nowt more ridiculous than baggies over lycra. Pretty much advertising to all and sundry you’ve got something to hide. Or the lack of anything to hide 🙂

tomhoward

*awaits flaming*

Rapha ones are really very good. If a little spendy,

batman11
    Free Member

Always been happy with my endura fs260 shorts and 3/4 length tights. Not cheapest out there but 2 years in and going strong so I’m happy.
    http://www.endurasport.com/products/browse/?showrange=2
    Bats.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rapha ones are really very good. If a little spendy,

Yup, completely agree.. Great bits of kit.

marko75
    Free Member

amazon

for the price you would be silly not to. Fantastic tights!

mtbel
    Free Member

I use normal or roubaix 3/4 bibs all year round and just add knee warmers underneath when it’s particularly cold. this works really well for me.

*I suffer pretty badly from knee pain when it’s cold otherwise

bonesetter
    Free Member

No bibs, NO BIBS, no bibs

They don’t fit me

This is the problem I had finding a pair last time, and the reason for this post… they’re thin on the ground

ragpuddin
    Free Member

I ended up getting Ron Hill running 3/4s, I found the pads in the lower end cycling ones ridiculous and a lot no longer come with waist drawstring, which is / was an absolute deal breaker for me (so double check beforehand if you want).

Something like these would last and are better quality than all the equivalent ‘cycling specific’ efforts at and around that price I’ve found. I use knee warmers underneath if it’s the depths of Winter with padded shorts over the top: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-trail-contour-34-tight-aw14/

M6TTF
    Free Member

My problem is finding any that are long enough in the leg, yet small enough in circumference for my matchstick calves

bonesetter
    Free Member

^^ Agreed – this is what I’ve found

I want them over the knee, plus some

bonesetter
    Free Member

ragpuddin – Member
    I ended up getting Ron Hill running 3/4s, I found the pads in the lower end cycling ones ridiculous and a lot no longer come with waist drawstring, which is / was an absolute deal breaker for me (so double check beforehand if you want).

Something like these would last and are better quality than all the equivalent ‘cycling specific’ efforts at and around that price I’ve found. I use knee warmers underneath if it’s the depths of Winter with padded shorts over the top: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-trail-contour-34-tight-aw14/

Hmmm… these are looking the best yet

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have been using Assos T 607 3/4 length bib tights for a couple of years now, not cheap but still look great and very comfortable.

bonesetter
    Free Member

NO BIBS

NO BIBS

NO BIBS

NO BIBS

NO BIBS

TheDTs
    Free Member

Go outdoors do Polaris ones which seem pretty good so far.

scaredypants

Get some bibby ones and extend the bibs, maybe with some elastic or perhaps some comedy braces 🙂

BIBS

BIBS

(bibs)

mtbel
    Free Member

Goan please explain exactly what it is about you that bibs don’t fit? 😕

got a fairly mental mental image going on here with all this combined with the other guy and his Ron Hills UNDER his shorts

singlespeedstu

Have you considered some bibs?

ragpuddin
    Free Member

combined with the other guy and his Ron Hills UNDER his shorts

you’d look a proper pantomime **** if you tried doing it the other way round, wearing shorts underneath Ron Hill tights ffs 😆

..they just act as warm, long liners for Winter riding when the temperature requires you to keep your ass warm with some shorts. Shorts go down to your knee usually, so you only see 4 inch or so, peekin’ out the bottom.

mtbel
    Free Member

Oh… so you mean’t baggy shorts?

ha ha.. right enough, nothing pantomime dame about a pair of bloomers over your tights is there? 😛

ragpuddin
    Free Member

Well. I’m XL so ALL shorts are baggy to me. 🙂

I don’t even think they make narrow cut shorts or shorty-shorts these days for mtb use, do they?

bigG
    Free Member

Endura thermolite bib 3/4s work well for me even in the coldest of temperatures, and you can stick knee warmers on as well if you’re proper soft.

slackalice
    Free Member

Bibs are shite. There said it.

I’ve got some Gore 3/4’s. Very comfy, and will tick all your requirements.

globalti
    Free Member

Shorts under Ron Hill Tracksters works fine.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bibs are shite. There said it.

In what way are bibs ‘shite’. I’m intrigued.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Rapha 3/4 Cyclocross ones from a couple of seasons ago, much like the current 3/4 ones, very comfy, very warm

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Some bibs might suit you I reckon !

bonesetter
    Free Member

mtbel – not everyone’s body size fits into the ‘normal’ or ‘average’ range

A bib felt like Borat’s mankini – I really didn’t like them, and I tried a few

mtbel
    Free Member

ok thanks.

I’ve tried bibs with less than ideal proportions too and also had bibs with adjustable mankini straps in the past. Endura IIRC. dunno if anything like that is still made.

I hate shorts myself. the drawstring waist cord never stays right for a whole ride and they don’t make me feel half as sexy 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

In what way are bibs ‘shite’. I’m intrigued.

Mid ride pee becomes a nonsense! Taking off all the upper layers so as to unhitch the straps. Pointless having them IMHO.

The cold makes me wanna piss a lot 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My problem is finding any that are long enough in the leg, yet small enough in circumference for my matchstick calves

Have this problem myself (not the tall bit) because of my CMT – one of the symptoms is ‘champagne bottle legs’ where the lower leg below the calf muscle is very slender, makes getting anything to fit a real pain. I just get the best fit everywhere else & either roll up the loose bit or simply ignore it.

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair of Ibex El Fito wool 3-4s for six or seven years and they’ve been worth every penny. Made in the US of Schoeller fabrics with softshell panels at the knees.

I (and many friends) cut the (just OK) pad out and they see use a couple of times per week in season over whatever shorts are at the top of the basket. Available in bibs or shorts- I prefer the shorts.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oooh, I like the sound of wool 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘3/4 Tights’ is closed to new replies.