• This topic has 45 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ewan.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • £300 family laptops – all much of a muchness?
  • TiRed

Son1 has run that laptop through the last couple of years at uni. It’s been excellent and I see no reason to upgrade for his forthcoming PhD. Prior to that he ran an older Lenovo that was also excellent, complete with extended battery and docking station.

neilforrow

I could also do with some help here.

The boy has a laptop that struggles with games. It is an Asus ViviBook 15. £300 during lockdown.
    It has the following spec:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 5405U @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.86 GB usable)

Would upping the RAM to say 16GB help it, or with the onboard graphics and CPU always be the limiting factor.

I’m well aware this is no gaming laptop, but something to tie him over when he saves for a better setup would be a nice start / Xmas present.

Cheers, Neil.

bearnecessities

@neilforrow or anyone else interested, ITZoo stock seems to turn over stock fast, but also they appear to use a random number generator to create their prices! This has just been listed, which is absolutely mind-blowingly ridiculous value – I’d have bought this instead of mine had it been available!

Sign up for their newsletter and you get 10% off, so it’s £315 for a Grade A, 8th Gen i7, P52 with NVIDIA GPU, 16gb of DDR4 ram & 12 month warranty.

Bonkers.

Refurbished LENOVO THINKPAD P52 Notebook PC – 15.6" Display – Intel i7-8850H Core i7 2.6GHz CPU – 512GB SSD – 16GB RAM – A Grade – Windows 10 Home Installed

(Mine also came with Win 10 pro, not home)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@bearnecessities

Cheers for that – I was looking to upgrade my laptop and that seems like an absolute bargain.

Appreciated 👍

bearnecessities

Great stuff, I’m jealous 🙂

Just in case it’s needed, when mine finished setting up Windows I noticed that the two-finger scrolling on touchpad wasn’t working, but a trip to the Lenovo site and installing their “Lenovo Service Bridge” , it identified all the missing driver updates (trackpad being one of them, god knows what all the rest meant) and it was all fine afterwards.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/

Ewan
    Free Member

@bearnecessities nice one. Wife has just gone on may leave and her works nabbed her laptop. She requested something for doing email, so I got her that i7. Can’t have too much power right 😂

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.