• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aw.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 3 way test…
  • aw
    Free Member

I am going to do a three way trial between my existing MTBS…

1. Kona cindercone SS converted 1997
    2. Kona unit 29er 2007
    3. Klein V Attitude 2003 (geared)

To see which is faster and also HR…and of course ‘smile factor’

I will report back here shortly 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

How will you compensate for tiredness by the time you get to the third one?

aw
    Free Member

Good point Dibbs – I thought of doing a short route cycling it one after the other. The third one will suffer but if I did this for three repeats changing the order so every bike gets a turn’first’it should even out. I could then average the results!

It might even put a different perspective on it if a bike is better at being first or last (i.e. better performance if I am tired or fresh).

Houns

Bugger!

AW forgot to reply to your mail! Sorry been so busy…. I’ll do so later today

aw
    Free Member

Three bikes for the ‘test’…

aw
    Free Member

No worries Houns…I am seriously thinking of the Cotic Road Rat so if you can help in any way?

sorry everyone else – off subject!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I guess the middle one will be slowest, with the tyre off the rim like that 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

You obviously have the same tyres on each bike?

aw
    Free Member

ok lets get this straight…

the pictures are a little old…

The puncture on the unit will be fixed 🙂
    The tensioner on the cindercone is now fixed 🙂
    The tyres are similar width and tread pattern but not the same 😉

Other facts are that unit is a 16″ frame and the other two are 18″ frames. The Klein has Tubeless tyres and the other two have inner tubes. The route will be a loop about 3-4 miles long with fast single track and one or steep sections uphill (and corresponding downhills)

aw
    Free Member

Ok first results just in for the first run (rode last week but I have been busy)…

Title Distance Duration Climb MaxSpd AvgSpd
    test run off road – cone 4.99 00:35:25 577.3 21.44 8.45
    test run off road – unit 4.92 00:37:37 714.8 20.77 7.86
    test run off road – Klien 5 00:37:48 508.2 19.66 7.93

The oldest. cheapest and most shonky bike came out best in the first run. The old cindercone has a chain tensioner, one gear, no suspension and v brakes!

The other two newer bikes came out at similar times.

Ride wise the cindercone pretty much nailed it. It felt fast, planted and flowed well along the singletrack.

The unit was still good and the 29″ wheels rolled over most obstacles with not too much fuss. Every now and again it felt a little hesitant and I had to pause to re-align the bike if that makes sense.

The Klein felt the most comfy but didn’t feel fast. The suspension and gears made it feel easier but not particularly faster (born out in the times above).

Whether the first run (cindercone) had an advantage being the first run because I was ‘fresh’ I am not sure?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

What is the ‘climb’ data?

aw
    Free Member

The climb data varies for each ride (should not have done – same course) according to my GPS. Varies from 508 to 714 feet.

aw
    Free Member

Tyre spec…

Kona cindercone – Blue Groove Kenda

Klein Attitude – Geax 26 x 2.3 tubeless

Kona Unit – Maxxis 29 x 2.1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘3 way test…’ is closed to new replies.