Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 3 Series touring or 4 Series gran coupe
  • craig24
    Free Member

Anyone driving either? I was set on a 3 series touring 2015/2016, but have noticed I could get a 4 series gran coupe for similar money.

Has anyone got the gran coupe and is it easy to live with putting a bike or 2 in and out?

bikesandboots

4GC is working well for me with a medium 29er (1210mm wheelbase, 760mm handlebar). As long as one of the front seats isn’t too far back, take the front wheel off, dropper down, handlebar at 90deg, and put it in a bit diagonally and slide it forward, it just about fits in.

Not tried two bikes, they’d have to go on top of each other, and the rear of the boot is pretty shallow. Rear wheels off, front and rear mudguards off, protection between the bikes and wheels, it should go – but obv that’s a load more hassle. If the bikes fit, it’d be very tight for two people and a weekend’s worth of gear.

So it depends on if it’s a bike, or two.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Currently in a 3 series touring, two bikes with a week’s kit fit fine but need a bit of careful planning – that being said I managed an very unplanned three and a week’s kit after I tried to drive through a low arch with the roof rack on bit of took a lot of tessellating

Kryton57

As above 3 series touring 2017 with two bikes. I did 4 days with 2 bikes, 2 people, camping gear and food with space to spare. For this regularly I think you’d have a bit more space in the touring.

With one large 29er its wheel off and shove it in the back no issues. I really enjoy my car but I also really like the 4 series coupe shape.

chestrockwell

We had a 4GC for a week or so while our car was being fixed. More room than you’d think and the boot is usefully big. Seemed a much lower car than I remembered the 3 Series to be but that might not actually be true?

I fancy a 3 Touring next but wouldn’t rule out a 4GC for the right money and spec.

intheborders
    Free Member

Extra long Cotic 29er fits happily in the boot (with seats down) of an equivalent 3-series saloon with just the front wheel out. That’s without moving the front seats and I’ve them set well back as extra-long legs. Not getting 2 big bikes in though.

Quieter too than either the Touring or GC in normal operation.

milko9000
    Free Member

I have a 4GC and can put two bikes in the boot with seats down no trouble. Nice big hatch opening makes it easy. My second bike is relatively small, so I guess I’ve not fully tested that as two adults yet.
    Only time I’ve missed my old Octavia estate is when I’m packing it to the gills for camping or similar, the lower height at the end of the boot can get a bit tricky at that point. But I find the car so much nicer to drive (arrive at end of long journeys with noticeably less fatigue) that I’ll take the compromise. Until my son grows a bit more, because passengers definitely get a little less room in the back seats!

mrmoofo

what engines are in the cars?

craig24
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at 320d and 420d

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at 320d and 420d

My 320d auto xdrive is showing 46mpg (not reset the trip) over 50k miles and a proper lead foot.

gingerflash

Having test-driven a 320d before I bought my 330d, I would suggest you do all you possibly can to get the bigger engine.

I’ve had mine for about five years now. It’s had two bikes inside without any difficulty, but if I have to carry more than one they usually goes on the roof with a suction-cup rack. Have often been away with bike and fully loaded with camping gear with no problem.

I had intended to give it back when the PCP term ended, but I paid the balance and kept it, not least because I’d done a lot fewer miles than predicted, so the final payment price was pretty good.

tall_martin

2014 335d touring here.

Xl geometron or hello Dave fit with the front wheel off. I’ve gone to roof bars due to a child seat. Two bikes would be fine. 3 would be as tight as any car Ive been in with bikes loaded inside.

Mine caught fire (a bit) because the egr valve failed and sent hot exhaust gas through a plastic bit of the engine. £2000 bill. Is this a recall issue bmw- no.

Got a letter in the post saying the egr valve might fail and send…. The cost was refunded

This month Ive had a letter saying the new egr valve fitted might fail, bring it back for a third egr valve.

I’d be checking any diesel BMW to see if it needs the warranty work done and if it’s been done.

I went from runflats to non runflats as they are significantly cheaper and it also improved the ride significantly.

The car itself is super. I drove from the Midlands to the south of France in a day and at no point did I want another car🙂

mmannerr

We have that generation of 3-series and last gen A5 and they have fairly similar capacity. The boot shape is different though and it depends on the luggage how stuff fits in. Helmets take huge amount of space but with an estate you can store then on top of boot cover but on hatchback like A5 and GC it is not an option.

gingerflash

“I went from runflats to non runflats…”

This, definitely. If there’s a choice, go for the one with non-runflats. The runflats give a pretty harsh ride, which isn’t great if you’ve got the MSport suspension.

There’s no spare or jack with the MSports though. I have a can of foam. I think the non-MSports have a spare, not sure.

Headlight blubs have to be changed through the wheelarch which is a PITA, especially as it means the wheel have to come off (for mine at least). The £8 blub fitting fee that Halfords change is then well worth it!

When fully loaded, the opening glass of the tailgate is very useful indeed. Looks like the GC doesn’t have this.

whatgoesup

This is all nice to hear as I’ve got an i4 on order – basically a 4 series Gran Coupe but with a bunch of batteries shoehorned in (the boot size doesn’t change, but for rear legroom the floor is a bit higher.

Kryton57

+1 to non run flats and the hatch in the Tourings boot.

And if you can get it, heated seats are a must. The are great for cold mornings or just after rides.

craig24
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of love for the 3 series touring over the gran coupe

oldtennisshoes

I had a 15 plate 320d Touring (auto xDrive). It was the best car I’ve ever had.
    I tried the 4 gran coupe, but it was a bit too low for me.
    Oh and yeah, bin the run flats ASAP.

StuF

slight hijack – toying with the idea of the 320d touring to replace my galaxy which I don’t need the space any more, but keep thinking the 520 might be a better bet for a bit more space for us.

timc
    Free Member

I’ve pretty extensive experience of the F30 diesel range, between friends & I we’ve all owned & experienced…

F30 320d Auto M-SPort (2012)
    F30 320d Manual M-Sport (2017 LCI)
    F31 330d Auto SE X-Drive (2019 LCI)
    F31 335d Auto M-sport X-Drive (2017 LCI)
    F34 320d Auto Sport (2016)
    F34 335d Auto M-Sport (2016)
    F36 320d Auto M-Sport (2019 LCI)

My thoughts are as follows…

100% ditch the run flats, Id recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4/5 or Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics.

Auto is much nice, 3 litre engines are nicer than 2 litres engines, but the 2 litre is a good 2.0 diesel engine in my experience.

M-Sport & Luxury trim levels are much better than others, Extras worth looking for are the improved Infotainment & Sound system. An if you get X-drive, the Adaptive Dampers.

X-Drive… Im not sure Id recommend it unless you need it, I have it now & miss the RWD. It heavier, Smaller turning circle & wollows, Ive had ACS springs fitted which help but the damping is still not sorted, Id go for standard M-Sport RWD if starting again.

The F34 GT is probably the biggest practical loader.

If it was me, id be after a F31 330d Auto M-Sport Touring, but they aren’t that common compared to the 320d & 335d.

metcalt

Off-topic but this seems a good thread to ask the question. Does anyone know which Thule Fitting kit is needed to connect the 753 footpack to the F31 Tourer’s flush rails?

The 753 footpack states it works with flush rails as well as fixed points but as they’ve made it obsolete now I’m really struggling to find the part number. Loathe to buy a full footpack set if I can just swap the fitting kit.

Kryton57

If it was me, id be after a F31 330d Auto M-Sport Touring, but they aren’t that common compared to the 320d & 335d.

For those that have a 320d, what are the mechanical issues if any to have it re-mapped slightly to move toward the torque response of the 330d? I’d like to know that – media appears to suggest even the mildest remap is with paying for, for the greater torque spread in how it drives.

gonefishin
    Free Member

went from runflats to non runflats…”

This, definitely. If there’s a choice, go for the one with non-runflats. The runflats give a pretty harsh ride, which isn’t great if you’ve got the MSport suspension.

I don’t understand the hate for the runflats. I did not think the ride is harsh at all (Msport 66 plate 3 series Touring). I don’t think there is anything wrong with the ride.

sofaman

> I don’t think there is anything wrong with the ride.

Prob user-preference, wheel size, whether you have adaptive suspension, whether you’ve had crap runflats etc. :-). On my old E90 – much nicer with F1 Asymmetrics (17″) but on my F31 (18″) and now G21 (19″), both with MSport with adaptive suspension: fine for me + no complaints from passengers.

Daffy

The thinking man’s choice. <nods approvingly>

I don’t have experience of the GCs, but did have a 330coupe and a Touring. The coupe was fine for MTBs with the front wheel off as it’s essentially flat and so fits through the load area, but road/gravel bikes, especially with guards fitted were a real pain. The thin was just an awkward shape. I don’t know if this is easier in the GC or if this is even a consideration for the OP?

sofaman

> Does anyone know which Thule Fitting kit is needed to connect the 753 footpack to the F31 Tourer’s flush rails?

Bought from Halfords when I had an F31. This PDF states 3-series touring 12- and 753: https://www.roofracks.co.uk/pdf/4023.pdf

intheborders
    Free Member

I don’t understand the hate for the runflats. I did not think the ride is harsh at all (Msport 66 plate 3 series Touring). I don’t think there is anything wrong with the ride.

+1

I’ve 2 sets, summer Bridgestones on 19″ and winter Pirellis on 18″.

If these folk want a comfy ride they ought to be buying pre-2000 Citroen’s – the ’96 Xantia I had back in the day was the comfiest place ever to do lots & lots of miles (160k in less than 4 years).

metcalt

@sofaman, thank you, it’s been driving me mad trying to find clear info.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.