• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nickc.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 3 Mile Climb at Llandegla…. why no effing Strava Segment?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

< Preamble: I am fully aware of what an utterly tragic post this is on at least three levels . Please feel free to take the piss out of me. 😀>

Decided that a short burst of effort wouldn’t go amiss today so had a crack at doing the 3 mile climb as quick as I could ( full disclosure, not very).

Looking at the ride afterwards I can’t find the segment. There’s one that some cretin has called “MRO 3 Mile Climb” but the bloody thing starts somewhere near the upper car park and ends similarly miles before the double berm.

Oh, and it’s only 3.99 km long…

WTF?

Can anyone tell me if there is an actual segment for the actual 3 mile climb?

What the heck would possess someone to set up a segment wrongly and then give it the wrong name?

Ruined my bloody day.

DickBarton

If it isn’t in existence then create it…

redthunder
    Free Member

Make one then ?

redthunder
    Free Member

@dickbarton

Damn you 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You say that, but ….

How the ?

I’m a cack handed luddite oaf, how the heck am I supposed to…

Having said which, I had wondered how one sets up a segment. Maybe I’ll have a look how to do it. Is it possible with pov spec Strava or do I need a sub?

PS. Using something called Google I have managed to find a 4.7km segment which does indeed end at the double berm. Still starts at the bloody skills area though.

DickBarton

Woop woop…my first Kom (king of messaging aka first to reply!)…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you’re going to create a segment, make sure you correct the strava elevation from your ride if using a gps device that has a useless barometer (most brands tbh) before creating the segment. 😉

DickBarton

Open desktop and browse to your ride…in the edit option (I think) it allows you to create a segment.

It then shows your ride and you adjust start and end points and save it with a name. Mark it private just for you or public for everyone.

The segment creator has changed at some point as it now needs to be over a certain distance…I’m also not sure if they have gone properly anal about descents and possibly crossing other trails/roads/etc.

davros

I managed to create one so it must be easy. That was on the laptop, not sure if it’s doable on the phone.

tazzymtb

There is already a strava segment for 3 mile climb, we usually work on under 15 mins with the silly bikes with 1 gear as sign for not being too out of shape over 17 and its time to cut the cakes and beer back 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If you’re going to create a segment, make sure you correct the strava elevation from your ride if using a gps device that has a useless barometer (most brands tbh) before creating the segment. 😉

patrick-star-spongebob-squarepants

Brain overload

There is already a strava segment for 3 mile climb,

Show me (please)

< Edit, how the hell can I make a segment if i can’t even embed a gif… balls>

davros

You embedded an image so you’re more advanced than me.

joat

You’ll probably find when you’ve created a segment, others magically appear. Don’t know why, but probably because there are lots of segments that are very similar, so Strava displays none. I’ve had this happen when I thought I was in with a shout on an obvious segment (I wasn’t).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why ? Surely no one’s going to nab it while flying an aeroplane overhead or down the coal mine under the segment….

simondbarnes
    tomhoward

There’s one that starts in the car park by the cafe? I remember starting, stopping at he jump spot waiting for a mate to finish faffing, then gave it everything to post a decent time, assuming it started at the jump spot.

Pissed off doesn’t quite cover it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There’s this one…

https://www.strava.com/segments/3108353?filter=overall

Yep that’s the second one I found. Starts at the skills loop for some daft reason…..

simondbarnes

I’ve just made this one. Better?

https://www.strava.com/segments/31816715

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Very much so Simon. Any chance you could trim it to start where it leaves the carpark, and end it after the berm hits the forest road.
    🙂

simondbarnes

That sounds like far too much effort!

cogglepin

As a matter of interest how much elevation gain is there on the 3 mile climb? Going this week for the first time for a couple of days.

simondbarnes

About 150m

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Why ? Surely no one’s going to nab it while flying an aeroplane overhead or down the coal mine under the segment….

Because there’s no excuse in 2022 to create sements, especially climbing segments, with testicles elevation data that’s wildly different from reality. Sadly GPS computers with barometers override Strava elevation data by default and often have garbage calibration, but you can revert to Strava data on the app and website these days.

cogglepin

Thanks Simon, must be a gentle climb then. Will do for me!

nickc

elevation data that’s wildly different from reality

It isn’t a site survey FFS. Most Garmins are within +/- 50ft  If you’re going to get antsy about that teeny difference on your special penis measuring computer game, why not just make sure you’re attempting your KOM efforts in the same pressure conditions as the current holder?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.