Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3 flats in 1 day! What are the best tubes?
  • traildemon1
    Free Member

Hi there guys,
    I went out riding today with my girlfriend and a couple of mates and immediately got a flat. Stupidly i hadnt taken anything with me (the one time i didnt take my repair kit/ spare tube and i get a flat!) We were 10 minutes from the shop at the bike centre so being the quickest/fittest I borrowed my friends orange gyro and cycled back. Going through rather a tame rock garden on one of the red sections on the way back I also managed to puncture the gyros rear tyre! I walked it to the shop and sorted the gyro with a new schwalbe tube and got one for my bike and cycled back up. I fitted my bike with the new tube and we continued riding. Half an hour later I got another flat in the same tyre! My mate was happy to walk back as he is recovering from injury so I rode his gyro the rest of the way. No more than 100 yards from the car the gyros rear tyre started loosing pressure! This cannot be normal? Have I been really unlucky or was it the cheap tubes (or something out for that matter)? Should I go tubeless? What are the best tubes? Thanks in advance.

oxym0r0n

Did you check the tyre before putting new tubes in for spikey objects?
    Did you put enough air in the new tubes? Did they pinch flat?

Liking tubeless myself so far…

traildemon1
    Free Member

Yeh on my bike the tyres are brand new rubber queens and I checked them over before fitting the new tube. I like running my tyres pretty hard so plenty of air in there. I really can’t work it out! Think I’m going to do some tubeless research…

chris_db
    Free Member

I hate to say this (not) but I haven’t had a single puncture since I “went tubeless”.

So, the best tube is………. 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Going tubeless can be a colossal PITA to set up, especially if you’re using certain brands of tyres.

A good compromise is to chuck some Stan’s fluid into your tubes beforehand, I usually do this and it works a treat.

psling
    Free Member

Mmmm… you weren’t riding in the Pyrenees were you?! 8)

Seriously, check the tubes on your bike to see if they were pinches, thorns, or ripped valves; might give you some clues.

traildemon1
    Free Member

Yeh I have heard it can be difficult. I had very rarely had punctures before today! But it ruined the ride for me so I think Tubeless may be the way forward, perhaps not with this bike but certainly with my next bike.

traildemon1
    Free Member

And yeh I’ll check the tubes over tomorrow see what the problem was! I’ll also thoroughly check the rims and tyres just incase!

labsey
    Free Member

I’d go with rims and tyres. Get them checked, sometimes it isn’t always obvious.

nick1962
    Free Member

It’s karma-there may be a correlation between the punctures and the number of for sale ads you’ve placed on here since in the week since you joined STW. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Better Tyres

dekadanse
    Free Member

…….no tubes!

Northwind

Tubeless.

Punctures aren’t usually much to do with the tube you’re using tbh- lightweight ones can be more delicate but it’s the same things that cause any tube to puncture- penetration and pinches. I use cheapo Nutraks when I use tubes, or Specialized ones if I want something a wee bit tougher but they’re much of a muchness. If it’s penetration, then a tougher tyre is a better solution and if it’s pinches then more air/protective tyre will be effective too (sure, a tough tube will pinch less easily but you’ll still flat eventually, and you’ll probably reshape your rims too 😉 )

traildemon1
    Free Member

Nick1962- what’s wrong with my for sale ads? I need to shift my whyte before I can realistically afford another new bike. I’ve only posted it 3 or 4 times?

amsterdan
    Free Member

had 8 punctures in 2 days have been riding tubeless for a year now with no flats and no issues best thing i ever did 😛

zbonty

It’s always worth finding the puncture to check the source. Is it a thorn/bit of glass? Is it still there? Snakebite? (rushing through the rock garden)

From the OP it reads as four people went biking, none had spares- that is asking for a spanking from the trail gods!

creamegg
    Free Member

Don’t let the hassle of setting tubeless up put you off. I went tubeless a few weeks ago using stans conversion kit and the ghetto tubeless inflator and it couldn’t have been easier. Maybe I got lucky with the combination of tyres and rims (rubber queens black chilli non ust on mavic rims). So far I’m loving the tubeless.

You should still carry spares and tools to sort flats out though weather your tubeless or not.

traildemon1
    Free Member

Yeh normally at least 2 of us have spares but this we week we were very unorganised! Just went for an evening ride in the sun and nobody brought stuff. Very foolish.

From your guys feedback and having done some research myself I think tubeless is the way to go! Once I’ve sold my bike I’ll be sure to build my next one up tubeless!

Cheers for your advice guys

MarkN
    Free Member

It could have just been your time to puncture out. Murphy’s law say it happens when you do not have kit with you to sort it. As has been said check your tubes over to see how they failed. It could be that something was missed when previously fixed and or not enough air back in when it was fixed.

The benefit with tubeless is the faff is at home in your chosen time. Not at the side of the trail in fading light when it is chucking it down. I have had a range of tyres on various wheels and some are better than others but when you find what works it is good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3 flats in 1 day! What are the best tubes?’ is closed to new replies.