• This topic has 64 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by 10.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • 3 Body Problem
  • Flaperon

I’m quite enjoying it, though it does help that I’ve read the book several times. I can imagine it would be a bit confusing without reading the book first. Rationing it to one episode a week.

desperatebicycle

Not read the book. Started it last night, seems very good. Not at all confusing, but rather violent.

johnx2
    Free Member

Watched episode 1 last night. Got to the end so it must be watchable to a point, but the London karaoke pub scene may have been written by aliens.

Some of the acting was people reading lines to each other “nanotubules” etc clunking off the lips. An Sean Lock’s flatmate was not given a right lot to work with.

Crawls to a low three stars…

wordnumb
    Free Member

three stars

ha.

JAG

‘We’ started watching last night, neither of us have read the books. We’ve watched the first two episodes.

Relatively slow start (which I like) and an intriguing storyline. We will watch more and hope for the best :o)

dazh

Just finished the last one. Not mad keen on the wooden english actors but it’s still good. Reminds me a bit of the new Battlestar Galactica with the cylons. Make sure you’re not eating your tea during Episode 5 😳.

prettygreenparrot

Ugh restarted episode 2. Weak. I’ll see what happens but this is poor work so far.

prettygreenparrot

‘This is fog mental’. And that is the point where this series becomes blah blah blah blah.

gauss1777
    Free Member

this is poor work so far

Agreed, a load of tosh and incredibly boring to boot.

Klunk
    Free Member

right load of nonsense.

prettygreenparrot

Interview with the show folks https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-3-body-problem-benioff-weiss-woo-interview/

got most of the way through episode 4. The characters are definitely in a parallel universe. One where none of them have seen any thrillers and where disbelief can be permanently suspended.

Klunk
    Free Member

it was sad watching Vyvyan sell out to the man 😕 can’t make my mind up  is trout pout or cod gob ?

timba
    Free Member

Episode 1 is good enough for me to watch Ep.2. I haven’t read any of the trilogy though

johnners
    Free Member

Hmm, looks like opinion on the series is divided as that on the books!

I watched the first one, not gripping but easy enough to follow given the ground it covered, I’m happy to give another episode a try.

Kryton57

Kinda ok but makes you feel like we’;ve 9 series and literally 400 years before we see aliens.   Not sure I’m in for S2.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Is anyone else who has read the books kind of basking in smugness at all the “boring” comments? No spoilers from me, but I bought it to see what the fuss was all about, not really expecting to like it. Ended up binge-reading all 3, back to back, despite how slow it can be and how dense some of it is to get through. It remains the most terrifying bit of fiction I’ve ever read.

olddog

I’ve read the books. Mrs OD hasn’t – watching the show together is an interesting test of those two perspectives.

I think it’s fine so far 1.5 episodes in – not brilliant but good enough so far.

The earlier Chinese TV adaption is on Prime – I’ve not watched it but it’s supposed to be follow to the books more closely.  Just checked 30 episodes and bizarrely some are included in prime and some are pay to view

olddog

Just finished watching it.  I really enjoyed it – most of the major plot points are in there and the changes in the characters don’t bother me massively.  I do worry whether seasons 2 and 3 will actually get made though.  Season 1 cost $160m and it will cost a lot more as it gets more and more spacey.

bensales
    Free Member

I thought the books were tedious ****, and I’ve read a lot of SF.

The show was ok, but poorly acted and Basil Exposition was left out of the credits. Episode 5 was grim.

argee

I do think sometimes the books need to have a bit of a tweak to make them watchable and more into a screenplay, so happy for changes most of the time, it is worth a watch, but does suffer a bit from the acting and world building to appease the book i’d say.

prettygreenparrot

Episode 5 grim? Certainly a bit grisly. And just a bit ridiculous too.

Especially with the signposting of ‘well if we use missiles… if we use SAS …’. The method chosen seems to maximize fatalities and chaos and imo would also reduce the chance of finding what they wanted intact. Unlikely to go unnoticed on the Panama Canal I’d imagine.

I finished the series. It wasn’t quite in the same league of awful and tedious as Foundation or Rings of Power but I won’t be back for season 2.

Kuco

I got to the end of episode 2 and thought this is not for me and gave up.

fazzini

Absolute nonsense but enjoyable nonsense. It passes the time. Did make me go and find out what the hell a Cherenkov tank is though. Every day’s a school day.

mashr

Absolute nonsense but enjoyable nonsense

That’s the consensus in this house too. My other half seems to have an amazing knack for asking questions in this show that are explained 30s later. For a non-SF reader like her the concepts are just enough to have her hooked, and let the show away with its many flaws. Sending a brain into space seemed to really work for her.

The main thing I feel it’s missing is the feeling of the actual crisis in the Crisis Era.

They really seem to have blown the CGI budget, some areas look like they really had to peg it back

I watched the series but I haven’t read the books. It was ok, but not great. I couldn’t give much of a shit about most of the main characters. They’re very whiny.

It passed the time in a hotel, but I’m not in a great rush to see a second season. Unless it’s as magnificent as Skyline <sarcasm> and features aliens cross breeding with humans. Presumably, they’ll have to anal probe some hillbillies from the middle of nowhere first. To keep it realistic.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.