• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by stox.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • £2k to spend on a fs trail bike- any bargains out there?
  • hb70

I have £2k to spend on a F/S trail bike. First new bike in 6 years and I’d like something long and low and slack that’s modern in its geometry.

Size XL, and 29″ wheels if possible. Anyone seen anything? A sale item, end of line, last years stock would be good but I’m struggling at the moment to get past a Calibre Sentry which feels pretty heavy- if well specced.

Any wisdom gratefully received.

ifra
    Free Member

Not tried either of these but the Vitus Escarpe is £2200 and the Vitus mythique is £1600, both look very good value for money.

chakaping
    Free Member

That Calibre is a proper enduro bike, heavy and long travel.

There are some cracking deals on the Whyte S-150 about at the moment. That’s more of a long-travel trail bike and seems very well-regarded.

joebristol

Sentry is a good spec in the sale but it’s an enduro bike rather than trail. For £2k with the requirement of long low and slack it’s going to be heavy whatever you buy if it’s new.

ifra
    Free Member

You can pick a Bird AM9 for £2036, if it rides anything like my Aeris you will love it

plus-one

Sonder Cortex

Sonder are very very good if your not a brand snob. I had an Evol for a while only moved it on as I realised I only needed longer travel hardtail. Excellent bike and great customer service.

richmtb

Timely thread, I’m on the lookout for something similar

Sonder are very very good if your not a brand snob.

Good to know, I have an On One!

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 different Vitus Sommets (Vituses Sommet?), and am happy with both. The Escarpe is similar but more trail-oriented.

BigJohn

I’m really pleased with my 2019 model Giant Trance 2 29er. £1999 on the Giant website and a couple available in York or Saltash. I came from a Mk1 Cotic Soul and I’m blown away with it. 5’11” and the medium fits me fine.

wors

There are some cracking deals on the Whyte S-150 about at the moment. That’s more of a long-travel trail bike and seems very well-regarded.

Love mine!

hb70

Really helpful thanks all

jaylittle
    Free Member

Bought a canyon spectral AL5.0 before Christmas, pretty impressive spec for under 2k.

richmtb

Hard to see passed that Whyte for 1900

steamtb

I’ve got the Sentry and really can’t fault it. I use it on pretty much everything from pottering around the village and gentle trails to the riding I guess it was made for. I don’t think it is as nimble as my old, smaller wheeled, trail bikes, but it really is just great fun 🙂 it’s worth having a pedal on one around the store, the geometry and sizing (for me) mean it’s the most comfortable bike I’ve had to date. And it’s epic when you want to really push on, very smooth and satisfying to ride quickly. Yes, it is a heavy ish bike but it doesn’t feel it. Tyres, cassette and crank are a fair bit of weight if you did want to lose any in future… and kids keep saying to me “that’s a cool bike mister” 🙂

stox
    Free Member

Just got an email from Alpkit with discounts on the Sonder Cortex

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘£2k to spend on a fs trail bike- any bargains out there?’ is closed to new replies.