Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 28 hole disc wheleset? 2 cross?
  • Joe

Building some new road disc wheels up. I’m assuming 2 cross is the standard for both front and rear 28holes? 3 cross is impossible?

TimothyD
    Free Member

Why would 3 cross be impossible?

I’m a newbie to building wheels but my (fallible) memory is telling me that my great uncle made some.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why would 3 cross be impossible?

As you reduce the spoke count the angle required to get three crosses get’s more and more extreme. At 18h 2x the spokes would be at a more extreme angle than 32h 3x. Conversely 48h 3x looks practically radial.

I’ve no idea if 3x is necessary, I’d have thought it possible though.

I’d be inclined to try it because the number of crosses adds nothing to the wheels strength, they only resist torque, and MTB’s have always used 3x for disk braked wheels.

mtbfix

My 28h Bonty wheel is laced 3x. Must be possible.

mboy
    Free Member

3x is definitely possible with 28H, but it does give a quite sharp angle as the spoke leaves the hub flange. You can’t build 3x with 24h though.

benpinnick

I’ve messed about with 2x 28 h builds but the extra spoke strain does make a real difference at 28 spokes. I’ve broken quite a few. Despite the cleaner exit from flange I’m still going 3x on 28h builds until I prove to myself that spoke breaking on 2x is just bad luck. I’m not holding my breath.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m assuming 2 cross is the standard for both front and rear 28holes?

wrong, 3 cross is standard down to 28 hole

cynic-al
    Free Member

“spoke strain”?

shermer75
    Free Member

“spoke strain”?

File under ‘sex face’

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’ve remembered some wheels my great uncle made were 3 cross 28 spoke road tubular wheels.

nixie

Sight thread drift are there any wider 28h rims (that aren’t carbon or silly money)

mudmonster
    Free Member

DT swiss make good 28 hole rims. XM481 30mm internal. I bought 401’s and wish I’d have gone with 481’s.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘28 hole disc wheleset? 2 cross?’ is closed to new replies.