• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 27.5" 2.8" Tubeless rear tyre
  • pb2

My first choice normally is a Hans Dampf which is fine until you decide you want a fat 2.8″ jobbie, a Hi Roller would be my second choice but again I think they top out around the 2.3″ mark.

Any real world recommendations, my riding is a mix of trail centres, peaks and lake district.

ps 2.8″ Magic Mary with Addix compound is going on the front, thanks in advance for all replies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MAxxis have a complete plus section
    http://www.maxxis.com/tire-search?category=135&rim=27.5
    HRII, Minions etc all in 2.8

metalheart
    Free Member

I recent bought a HRII and a Minion DHR in 2.8″ flavour.

Not cheap! And not fitted them on a bike yet either…

I got mine from nextdaytyres.com. Still bloody expensive though!

astormatt
    Free Member

You can definitely get 2.8 HR, i have one but i am moving from Maxxis to Schwalbe as their pricing is a bit more sensible.
    I am going for a 2.8 Magic Mary for the front, cant decide between another Mary in Speedgrip or a Nobby for the rear.
    Works out ar around £52 per tyre delivered from Germany.

pb2

Cheers guys, my 29 2.3″ Magic Mary came from bikeR2 in Germany, price was good, item in stock and delivery was ok at 6 or 7 euros. I like NN on the rear in dry conditions but they just don’t grip on steep grassy/muddy hills in the lakes.

chiefgrooveguru

Would you be better off with a heavier casing 2.5 or 2.6 on the back? I’d be worried about those (very expensive) 2.8″ tyres surviving for long in the Lakes or the Peak.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Running DHF front and rear both tubeless both been brilliant

pb2

2.6″ would ok I think.

Just looked the price of the fat Maxxis and had to go and clean my specs before returning to see – yes they are a staggering £70 plus. Has any one experience of the Rekon’s. Tread pattern looks a bit Hans Dampf(ish) but I suspect the lugs are not as big/deep.

https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-REKON-275-650B-x-28-DualCompound-TR-EXO

clubby

Rekons are more of a cross between an Ardent and DHR2. Great all round rear and good summer front. I keep one on rear for winter but change front to DHR2.
    Not the best in full on slop but I’m not sure any 2.8 is. Mine is the softer 3c version and is still looking good after a years use. A doddle to set up tubeless as well.

vincienup
    Free Member

So at first passing glance that Rekon looks a little like a High Roller. What’s it like for sidewall strength? Seems quite light?

clubby

120tpi 3c version Rekon definitely flimsier than 60tpi dual DHR2. That said, up until recently ran them tubeless front and back since last November with no issues at all. I ride a lot of coastal dunes and woodland so the extra suppleness is great for that.
    For rockier terrain I’d be tempted by HR2 on the rear.

pb2

ok further reading has ruled out the Rekon, I might have to raid the kids piggy banks for a Maxxis – I really hope not but whats the point of spending thousands on a bike and then running ill suited tyres ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘27.5" 2.8" Tubeless rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.