Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 27.5+ Tyres
  • Premier Icon edberwick

Hey, so having bought a SantaCruz Chameleon running 27.5+ Maxxis Rekon Tyres and learned a bit more about pressures etc (such as, at 100kg, 15 PSI is not a great idea), I’ve found them to be a bit vague. I live just north of London so Woburn Sands, Swinley Forest, Chick Sands and Aston Hill are the places my buddies and I head to I’m looking for recommendations of tyres that would be good for Sand/Loam in the winter (and that annoying hard packed sand and rock).

It looks like Maxxis Minions are pretty poular, and was looking at those, not sure with the 40 cm rims, I should go for the wide trail versions? Any other suggestions, I know it’s all a bit personal preference and suck it and see.. Cheers 🙂

Premier Icon bearGrease
    Free Member

40 cm rims

Now that is a FAT bike

Premier Icon edberwick

Now that is a FAT bike

Ooops!

Premier Icon honourablegeorge
    Free Member

You want a 2.8 Minion up front, they’re awesome tyres, and pair well with the Rekon out back

WT Maxxis are generally 2.4/2.5/2.6 which is probably a bit narrow compared to your rear tyre

Premier Icon Del

^what he said, though I’m using a spesh slaughter out back cos it was cheap and rolls a shit ton better than the dhr I had on there before 😀

Premier Icon jonundercover

I found the specialized purgatory 3.0 great up front , endless grip! Rekon + on the rear pretty fast rolling.

Premier Icon TimP
    Free Member

I have Nobby Nic 3″ on the front and 2.8″ on the back on 45mm ID rims. I find them to be pretty decent, to the point I havent looked to get anything else

Premier Icon TheGhost

I’ve had a Chameleon in Plus set up and also ride at Swinley and Aston hill.

On my plus wheels I run Maxxis DHF and DHR2 tyres in the 2.8 width on 40mm inner width rims. This is the sweet spot for plus.

2.6 is too small – I also have the same Maxxis combo in 2.6 and have shelved them.

The Scwalbe 2.8s are a bit bigger than the Maxxis 2.8s for reference if you fancy a Magic Mary and Hans Dampf or Big Betty.

Alternatively I run an Assegai 2.5 and DHR2 2.4 on 29er wheels with 35mm inner width rims.

Premier Icon edberwick

Alternatively I run an Assegai 2.5 and DHR2 2.4 on 29er wheels with 35mm inner width rims.

That’s interesting thanks. I was wondering what the bike would be like on 29″‘s I’m tempted (when funds allow) to pick up a 29″ FS for Aston Hill and others and give me the flexability to swap the wheelset to the HT…

Premier Icon earl_brutus

im running a set of these on my hightower

tyres

super comfy and grip well, not too draggy on climbs. They’re 2.8 27.5 on Stans Baron S1 wheelset.

Premier Icon Alex

On my SolarisMax I run MM 2.8 on the front (that’s a proper tyre!) and mostly a Rekon 2.8 in the rear but with a Rimpact as it’s a bit fragile. A mate has the DHF 2.8 and rated that as a front as well. The on 41mm externals 12 psi front/11 psi rear. 78kg

Without getting into a tyre argument, I’m now running 2.6/2.5 om 38mm externals and I think I prefer it. It still feels like you get the cushioning but not so much of the squirming. And I say that as a big fan of chubbies having ridden them on two bikes since 2017.

Premier Icon NS
    Free Member

2.6 is too small – I also have the same Maxxis combo in 2.6 and have shelved them.

TheGhost :-
    If you are thinking of selling your 2.6’s drop me a PM, as I may be interested in buying them.
    Would have PM’d you, but can’t seem to get it to work!

Premier Icon Tracey

Running 2.8 Butcher Blk Dmnds front and rear all year round on my Turbo Levo set at 15psi

Premier Icon TheGhost

@NS

Will probably sell my 2.6s with the wheels they are on, as they won’t be getting used either. Boost Hope pro 4s in black with DT SWiss XM521s (35mm inner width) 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.