Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 26" wheels… Will I die…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Of shame perhaps…? 🙄

Almost finished my new HT, a rather nice Stanton Slackline. Just waiting for the XT brakes to arrive tomorrow, cut the steerer, then it will be good to go. Ridden 29ers pretty much entirely for the last 18 months or more (in fact I’ve probably only done 2 rides on a 650b even!) so this will be a bit of a shock to the system.

Pics to follow tomorrow when the brakes arrive and steerer gets cut, but spec as follows…

16.5″ Slackline 631 in Black
    Hope External lower and internal upper headset cups
    Rockshox Sektor RL 140mm Solo air tapered
    Shimano Zee cranks, rear mech + shifter
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette and brakes
    Praxis Works 32T Narrow Wide ring and BB
    DT Swiss 350 6 bolt hubs on Pacenti TL28 rims with Sapim Race spokes
    Answer Protaper bars
    Raceface 60mm stem
    Saddle and seatpost TBC but will end up with a Reverb

Looks the business so far, can’t wait to get out and test it!

Northwind

26 inch wheels, no. But 631? You’re 200 too low for this forum there mate

timmys

You’ve chosen the right bike but the wrong colour. Sorry about that.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to a slack 26″ wheeled bike myself, I felt a bit perched on the Titus, especially after the trip to Woburn, see forum history for details 🙂

nedrapier

26″ wheels implode, everyone knows that.

NormalMan

I’m sure you’ll survive mate. Possibly even with a smile on your face.

molgrips
    Free Member

Want some studded tyres in 26?

bullroar
    Free Member

The trails will die under your wheels.

smatkins1
    Free Member

26″ wheels! You mad man! Are you going to be able to cope with the faster acceleration and ability to change direction so quickly? You’re going to have an accident!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hopefully, my first 29er ride this weekend… I may well die.

kerv
    Free Member

You may well choke on your own words!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Only if you don’t respond to your emails about the 29er rims… 😉

(I replied to your reply, but heard nowt back)

coastkid
    Free Member

Right size if you fit 4″ tyres… 😉 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

You may well choke on your own words!

I owe myself £20! I just KNEW you wouldn’t be able to resist saying something… 😉

Caveat… It’s not going to be my only bike… I’ll still keep a 29er I’ll use most of the time, I just fancied a small “play” bike for messing about on on the local trails, and it just made sense to me to go back to 26″ wheels right now for said purpose.

kerv
    Free Member

Ha, I had to chuckle! Welcome back fella, I think you’re very brave to come out on a public forum and it may encourage others in denial to come back in from the cold. 26″ keep the faith. 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m building up a 26″ Dialled Bikes Love/Hate, can’t wait to try it after the last 3yrs on 29″ and fat tyres.

Shhh… it’s only got one gear and a straight steerer tube as well 😳

ndthornton
    Free Member

4 26in wheel MTB bikes in the garage and one 700c racer
    Its not difficult – Big wheels are for tarmac init

molgrips
    Free Member

Were you talking to me bandito? Sorry if I ignored your emails, I had a few buying and selling email threads on the go and as a newbie I found it hard to keep track of everything.. I have wheels now tho 🙂

alcolepone
    Free Member

nothing wrong with a 26″ black 631 slackline 😀

Bucko

Apart from the birds nest on the front… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

STW survey

Changed wheel size this year on your main bike?

Nope, still 26in (56%, 372 Votes)
    Nope, still 29in (14%, 96 Votes)
    It’s complex. I have more than one main bike! (11%, 72 Votes)
    Gone 26in to 27.5in (10%, 64 Votes)
    Gone 26in to 29in (7%, 48 Votes)
    Gone 29in to 27.5in (1%, 8 Votes)
    Gone 29in to 26in (1%, 4 Votes)
    Gone 27.5in to 26in (0%, 0 Votes)
    Gone 27.5in to 29in (0%, 0 Votes)

HansRey

molgrips! are those studded tyres for sale? Are they similar to icespiker pros? I’m very interested, if you can post them or i meet you around Sheffield/Hull/North York Moors around the christmas break

email in profile.

kayla1
    Free Member

We’re all 26″ here too 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Nokian wxc3000 or something.. Very old but little use obv.. Will take some pics later. Not sure what they are worth.

I think the new 29er would be the bike I’d use for snow.

karlsbug
    Free Member

Slackline 853 owner here with a very embarrassing 1 1/8 head tube and 27.2 seatpost and 26″ wheels. Triple whammy, shucks

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

26″ alive and well here. In fact looking at a Cotic Bfe in the new year. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Karlsburg, until last week all my bikes were all those things with bars under 680mm and 3×9!

pk13

Both my bikes are 26″ I’ve been on my piglet today I’m still here alive and well bloody cold but alive

timraven

Yes, you’ll die of the sheer fun of flicking easily around corners and hopping off silly little bits of trail, but at least you’ll die laughing. 😆

timraven

Oh, and it looks like I’m one of a select and fortunate few with a 26″ wheeled Rocket.

mboy
    Free Member

26″ alive and well here. In fact looking at a Cotic Bfe in the new year.

Have owned a BFe, didn’t rate it. First impressions of the Slackline are that it is vastly superior in many ways!

Brakes arrived, hoses shortened, just got to cut the fork steerer and install the starnut now, then get some nice photos of it in the daylight.

kayla1
    Free Member

Karlsbug- I’ve got a DMR Exalt with a 26.8mm post, 1 1/8″ headtube, 26″ wheels and an ISCG-OLD chain guide mount (oh, the ignominy)- do I win a fiver?

mboy
    Free Member

Pics of said bike now up here…

gonzy
    Free Member

26″ alive and well here.

in fact i’m stripping it down and rebuilding everything onto another 26″ frame this weekend

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Have owned a BFe, didn’t rate it. First impressions of the Slackline are that it is vastly superior in many ways!

Brakes arrived, hoses shortened, just got to cut the fork steerer and install the starnut now, then get some nice photos of it in the daylight.

Really? I was looking at the Stanton Slackline too. In what way is the stanton superior? Quality or ride? Also looking at a dialled prince albert. Moving on from my Kinesis Decade Virsa which is running at 100mm so will be swapping most parts over. Forks will be 140 mm revelations

Bucko

Rode Triscombe on my rigid 26″ SS Inbred with a group of 6 mates today. The guy on the only 29er fell off twice bending the rear mech hanger, and the guy on the only 27.5 fell off twice. Nobody else fell off. Enough said. 😉

deeppandan
    Free Member

Hey mboy.
    just wondering if Hope headsets cups 4 and D will fit in the slackline?
    cheers dude

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘26" wheels… Will I die…?’ is closed to new replies.