Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2:1 Degree or Equivalent
  • wombat

If a job description asks for a “2:1 Degree or Equivalent” would a 2:2 plus 20+ years experience in a relevant field be considered equivalent?

I appreciate there’s no absolutely correct answer to this and individual employer’s views will vary.

Opinion was divided on this question in the pub last night so I thought I’d turn to STW for a definitive answer….

nealglover
    Free Member

I would say 20 years of relevant experience in its own would be equivalent to a 2:1 degree for a job application.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends on who is reviewing the cvs.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends if there is any growth over the 20 years.

I’ve worked with people with 20+ years in a role who’ve only managed to gain 2 years experience. They’re really good at those 2 years though. They’ve done it 10 times…….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends if there is any growth over the 20 years.

Equally, somebody with a bit of enthusiasm and interest in the subject will be better than a typical graduate by the time they’re 14.

woffle
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>I’ve worked with people with 20+ years in a role who’ve only managed to gain 2 years experience. They’re really good at those 2 years though. They’ve done it 10 times…….</span>

This – at least as regards to the value of experience. I’ve seen second-jobbers who have a broader commercial understanding gained from 18 months of work, than people coming in with five+ years in the same role / company / level.

Back to the OP – it depends on how senior the role is (at least in my experience). Although it’s a pretty lazy metric TBH – my company use it as a simple demonstration of rigor/application but I think it’s pretty meaningless when looking at anything other than a junior hire (where your available points of comparison/reference are fewer).

olddog

I’ve done a lot of recruitment over the years and I always think/considered this the wrong way around – basically experience first and academic qualifications second. So the 2:1 demonstrates a level of application/achievement where there isn’t a track record of experience.  However, there are times where qualifications come first – where specific professional competence needs to be demonstrated eg chartered accountant, chartered engineers, lawyers, economists etc and I assume even more so with medical/healthcare posts.  In those cases professional qualifications first unless a training post.

So I think my answer is don’t worry about the degree in your case.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And FWIW my role requires a minimum of a Masters and 5-8 years experience in a fairly specific field of engineering.

I have neither.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Just apply, what’s the worst that could happen

mattyfez

I’d say that’s fine, I read it as they are not being too strict on qualifications as long as you can demonstrate you’re up to a certain level, a slightly lower grade and lots of  relevant experience I would say satisfies that. Relevant experience is often better if you can demonstrate you know what your doing in practice rather than on paper.

The only slight hitch is if the cv goes through HR screening rather than seen by the hiring manager, it could potentially get dropped on a technicality, but no harm in applying.

I know highly qualified people who are utterly useless, and people under qualified who are far better at thier jobs.

You have to look at the bigger picture with candidates, if you just look at ‘must have 2:1’ your really limiting who you might get.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m surprised there are jobs that ask for both experience and a degree, I’ve moved jobs quite a few times and focus is always on what experience I have, would any of them not recruit me if I didn’t have a (good) degree? Can’t see it. Recently started working for a top Uni, think I’ll ask if they care.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Depends whether you get past Human Remains or not. 2:2 20 years ago does not equal 2:2 now. After 20 years degrees of minor importance.

hols2
    Free Member

Just apply, what’s the worst that could happen

Exactly.

seosamh77
    Free Member

depends if the want someone that knows what they are talking about, or someone that thinks they know what they are talking about! 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

Honesty at 40(ish) with a couple of decades in a similar role I wouldn’t care if you applied with a HND in knitting and a cycling proficiency certificate.

But some places this what you did for 3 years 20 years ago tells them something about who you are today.

If they can’t ‘see past’ a 2:2 then you don’t want to work there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

IMO. Strictly speaking no. Equivalent to means a degree from another country at a similar grade

shermer75
    Free Member

Experience trumps degree every time. If they think otherwise then you’d want to be working somewhere else.

dmorts

It depends who’s sifting the applications. If they have many applications to go through then you having a 2:2 rather than a 2:1 could see you dropped at the first pass by admin in HR.

“Equivalent” is likely to refer to degrees from other countries that are equivalent or some other variation like HND plus a post grad or professional qualification.

The years of experience required for the role is no doubt specified elsewhere.

But that said you have to be in it to win it, so no harm in applying. Go for it

wombat

Thanks folks.

Given that the role in question is definitely not one for a new graduate and the potential applicant obtained a Desmond 25 years ago I’m of the view that varied and relevant experience in the intervening years now than makes up for any perceived shortfall in educational achievements.

As has been pointed out by some above ^, the question is, does anyone really want to work for a company which takes such a narrow view of people’s skills?

rene59
    Free Member

Just make sure you note either on your CV, covering letter or application that you have the equivalent of a 2:1 Degree so that it gets past any filtering.

slackalice
    Free Member

Be careful about questioning or inferring about narrow world views on here.

Walls have ears…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Equivalent could also mean passing entrance examinations for some kind of professional body, such as CIOB if you are building.

prettygreenparrot

Depends if a human reads the information you send in.

Apply anyway.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I have a vague recollection of a degrees classification expiring in some way after a number of years. So you either have a degree, an honours degree or whatever. The actual numbers having expired.

As I say, this is a vague recollection of a discussion with on of my tutors nearly 30 years ago. …… just after I made a moderate cock up of my finals. …

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP just to be clear my advice would be apply and be upfront about your belief that your experience is what’s key

Being cynical HR departments often filter applications and setting criteria like 2:1 min is just a kazy way of cutting down the number of applications

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Costs you nothing to apply, if you have the skills they want they will talk to you if not you can blame hr.

Currently sat in a bar pondering the new job i start tomorrow that I applied for on a whim from the other side of the world

Edukator
    Free Member

Try writing your grade as:

2.2 in 1998 ( before grade inflation and when only x% of the population got a degree)

Google for x

If the person reading is over 40 you have a good chance of getting an interview.

hugo
    Free Member

This is very hard to answer without more information, but there could be a few things going on.

1: If they are looking for the capability to do the job then 20 years of experience usurps the 2:1/2:2

2: If they are stating the degree because they are seeing this as a job for someone who is fairly recently out of uni and on a sharp upwards curve then it would be an issue.  This means they see this as a job for someone who has taken 3-5 years, not 20, to get to this point, and are hoping for future progression.

3: It could just be an artefact of an existing job advert (very likely) or it’s something they stick on all adverts, just because.

4: It could be HR being HR and looking for something other than their own grey matter to whittle the CVs down.

In case of 1,3, and 4, if you don’t get a positive response then get on the phone.  Ask for the person that runs the site/office/whatever and have a chat.  If you don’t get through to them talk to number 2 or 3.  Believe it or not most companies quite like it when people show a real interest in joining and chase them down.  Don’t be weird or narky of course, that goes without saying!  There might be a good reason they’ve not picked you, the might tell you, they might not, but speaking on the phone is an excellent foot in the door.

Signed, ex recruiter and Head of Internal Recruitment.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Echoing what others have said.

If I felt I was a qualified applicant and they couldn’t look past a degree qualification from 20 years ago then I’d not want to work there anyway.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As an interviewee, I just lie.  No-one’s ever checked.

As an interviewer, 20 years of job experience trumps degree.  Especially knowing that they might be as honest as I am

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2:1 Degree or Equivalent’ is closed to new replies.