Home Forums Bike Forum 2021+ Trek slash shock

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2021+ Trek slash shock
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Recently purchased a 2021 slash 7. Loving the bike on the whole but the rear deluxe RT shock is awful. Woeful small bump compliance. Plus only just about reaching full travel with about 35% sag.

So, would it be worth trying a megneg or bypassing that completely and going with a new shock? I’m tempted with coil to match the coiled fork.

What have other slash owners done?

Cheers in advance!

bikerevivesheffield

Replace with a dpx from tftuned complete with standard mounts

chakaping
    Free Member

Not got a Slash, my pals who own them seem very happy with the Super Deluxe that they came with (and they felt v good when I rode them).

But a Kitsuma Coil would probably be amazing and have loads of tuneability built-in.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Yeah the thru shaft super deluxe is supposed to be great but I would have concerns over reliability which sounds to be woeful.

joebristol

I’ve got a mate with a Sentinel and he’s tried a float x, X2, Ext Storia and the new Super deluxe air and he’s settled on the super deluxe as his favourite.

The Ext was apparently too plush for what he liked. The Float X was nice and poppy and the X2 was somewhere in the middle – but kept going wrong. I’m not sure if it’s the trunnion or what – but the X2’s on current model transitions don’t seem to be very happy.

Apparently the super deluxe rides like a slightly plusher version of the float x. So if I were looking for a new air shock I’d be inclined to try the new super deluxe.

Just on the Kitsuma coil mentioned above I have one of those on my Sentinel. It’s taken me a while to get to a spring rate I like – and it’s higher than I expected it to be (frame has 24% progression – I’m 5’9 and 76kgs right now – and on a 500lb Valt spring) – but it rides really nicely now. I’m still tweaking the damping but it feels a lot nicer then the float x that came on the bike.

If I were buying a coil again now I’d be tempted to try either the new super deluxe coil with the hydraulic bottom out or the Ohlins ttx coil I think.

Edit – all subject to what actually fits on your bike. I think it has a weird lower shock mount but you can get hardware to fit a normal eyelet shock on it.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Yeah Iv seen a TTX for sale but it’s a bit more than I would ideally like to spend. They don’t sound to have much range on the rebound with 7 clicks either, unless they make a massive difference on each click, so may potentially need a retune.
    It’s the 7 so standard shock mount bolts.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had the TTX and Cane Creek coils on various bikes and I can’t honestly say the TTX is any better.

It’s more heavily damped and has less adjustment (I actually really like the 3-position HSC feature), but the Cane Creeks feel more fluid and seem more versatile.

I’ve also had a couple of EXT Storias and while they’re easily as good, I’m not sure I could honestly say they were a great deal better than a CCDB.

HobNob
    Free Member

The Ext was apparently too plush for what he liked. The Float X was nice and poppy and the X2 was somewhere in the middle – but kept going wrong. I’m not sure if it’s the trunnion or what – but the X2’s on current model transitions don’t seem to be very happy.

Its not Transition or Trunnion specific really, although all those bent alloy frames from the factory didn’t help & trunnion is actually a stupid idea/design because of the load it puts through the shock unless everything is perfectly aligned.

The 21/22 Float X2 (and DHX2 to be fair) have a few design issues which has caused quite a few failures. The ‘23 shock has a redesigned head on it, which you can tell the difference on as the bleed port is on the ‘back’ now rather than the spine on the top, which is meant to mean it’s reliable & works.

In terms of feel, the X2 is still one of my favourite shocks, it’s really good, just not been reliable.

That said, the Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru-Shaft on my Rail feels bloody amazing, genuinely one of the best shocks I’ve ever ridden. However there is again a big question mark on reliability there. I really rate the Trek ABP system, for what is essentially a linkage driven single pivot & the Slash is a really good bike, I’d be tempted to run a stock SDU & have a spare, just in case there is an issue to take advantage of how good it feels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.