Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • 2019 Norco Fluid FS1 first(ish) impressions
  • tomd1984
    Free Member

When we moved back to the Westcountry my wife and I agreed that when we’d bought our house i could get a new bike (woooooooo).

I’d been out of biking for several years as i lived in a particularly uninspiring flat area and wasn’t really feeling the love. However, moving back to the edge of Dartmoor (shhhh, its terrible) reinvigorated my want to start riding again. So i started looking for a new bike. Man have things changed since i last bought a bike! Its so hard to decide on things now. Wheel size, geometry, spec…

In the end i decided i wanted a trail bike with not too much travel, modern-ish geometry that isn’t ridiculously long, ability to fit a bottle in the triangle if i want to, 12x drivetrain and a dropper post (or routing for one).

The Norco appeared on STW before Christmas and i was taken! The spec, the geo and the price looked great, so without riding one i pre-ordered. Have had it out a few times now round North Dartmoor and Haldon.

Its great. Love the feel of the longer geo, but then my hardtail is a 26″ which is too small a frame for me really. I’m riding a large Fluid and it feels spot on for me at 6’1″ with 32″ inside leg.

Climbs relatively well for the weight – don’t notice it. And being stretched out more than previous bikes and on the right size frame it feels like i’m making better use of my meagre legs! Downhill its fun, manoeuvrable and fast enough to keep up with (and sometimes overtake) my mates.

Spec – couldn’t be happier for now. I’m a perennial bike tinkerer. The spec on the Norco is fine, not blingy, but not rubbish either. So i’ll more than happily wear things out before replacing with an upgrade. The only thing I have done is fit a Fabric saddle so my ar5e only has to get used to one shape between this and my CX bike.

I haven’t checked if its set up tubeless or not, just been enjoying being out in the woods and on the moor. But if not then i’ll be doing a conversion this weekend.

I was waiting for the review after seeing it appear on here as “potentially the best bike below £2k” (or whatever Hannah said), but its not appeared yet so thought i’d share my limited thoughts for what they’re worth.

Anyway, here’s a photo. Love it so far. Anyone else got one?

davros

Sweet looking bike and great spec at that price.

johnnystorm

Looks great! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BillOddie

Mini review on pink bike is quite complimentary.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-three-affordable-trail-bikes.html

richardthird

Does look good that, thanks for posting.

matt_outandabout

Nice looking bike.

We have a Norco Fluid in the house. It’s heavy, but a really nice handling bike, better than the Giant and more Aggro than the Radon.

tomd1984
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Obviously I can’t take any credit for the looks. Although it is great that its not got anything spec-wise to grumble about, and its less than £1900 🙂

slowmover

I bought one in October. Traded in a 96 Kona and got £150 pounds off list price. I originally bought the Kona Hahanna to remember what got me excited about mountain bikes originally. Very happy to get rid of it!

The Norco came with massive inner tubes. I changed to tubeless maxxis minion dhf on rear, high roller front. Love the wide rims.
    Changed brakes for Zee with 200 rotor front. Kept the 160 rear with xt brake.
    Changed grips.

Very stable, great in slop. Climbs very well for a big heavy bike. Weighs 15.5 kg. This is XL. I am 6.1. weigh 110kg.Mid forties.

In general a game changer for me, someone always on a budget but interested in modern geometry and wider rims and wanting a big cassette for climbs.

Previously had a Trek remedy 2011 medium- something to learn on but actually too short and did not climb very well.
    The frame seems well painted.
    Not sure why it is so heavy.
    Running rebound fully open. Used manufacturers recommended pressure in shock and fork. Replaced dropper cable as galvanized and had gotten frayed.

richardthird

Picked one up at Evans, didnt feel too heavy to me. Geo and spec is v.v. similar to the new Trance 29er 2, just a heap of money less.

Anyway, I’ve a crappy tradein, just waiting for my clubcard and C2W vouchers and I’ll be having one too.

Already considering a bit longer fork and a charger2 upgrade after I’ve tried it for a few months stock.

tomd1984
    Free Member

I’ve not noticed the weight to be honest. It rides well and I don’t noticed it when I’m riding – that’s about as good as I can say really – it doesn’t stand out as holding me back and didn’t cost as much as a full carbon SC to boot 🙂

Running slightly higher pressures in both fork and shock than the Norco guide as I found I was bottoming out a bit too frequently on every ride, only 5psi more though and all good.

@slowmover
    yet to do the tubeless upgrade, but got all the bits. Are the new tyres markedly better than the stock ones?

richardthird

Fork damper q. Norco spec says Charger 2. On the store demo bike there was nothing on the fork and the staff said it was motion control.

RS specs say both are available.

Its a £200 upgrade that I’d rather avoid, anyone know whats in there? (And the offset, it should be noted on the fork leg sticker)

Ta.

slowmover

The Maxxis tyres I use seems to have some cut resistance and they deal well with my muddy local conditions.The stock tyres have small block threads on them and the casing seems thin. I made the decision to change to my preferred tyres without actually riding the ones the bike came with so couldn’t say. I just wanted maximum traction and used what worked before.

richardthird

Again, Norco worldwide spec says Forekaster EXO. Hope Evans hasn’t downgrade tyres and damper for these UK models to bring the price point down.

BillOddie

Norco spec sheet on the “UK Region” site states Maxxis Forecaster tyres and Rev RC w/ Charger 2 damper in the fork.

Evans state Rev RC (no mention of Charger but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a Charger Damper) and WTB tyres.

Might be worth dropping them both an email and seeing what they say.

If they OP wants to post a pic of the Damper adjuster on the top of the driveside leg, it’ll probably fairly clear which damper it is.

richardthird

Well I emailed Evans and got a real fast reply confirming spec is as Norco lists. So, Charger 2 damper in the Rev and Forekaster 2.6 3c Exo tyres.

Makes it even more of a bargain and cant wait to get hold of mine 🙂

martinmat
    Free Member

The heavy weight 15,5kg read in Some test that wheels came into 5.96kg, seems awful heafty even IF it is incl tires, tubes, casette and discs. Would be interesting to know the weight of the frame and rearshock? Have any of you guys weighted the wheels?

richardthird

Ill be weighing bits of mine when it arrives. Rims and hubs will be ok, prob heavy spokes, fat inner tubes, cassette is a 600g+ monster though.

Ill be going tubeless straight away and swapping the bars out (OE 35mm will be stiff as). Like I said, it didnt feel or ride at all heavy when I saw one at Evans … but I was fresh from riding a heavy fs ebike that morning!

tomd1984
    Free Member

Not weighed mine at all, not felt the need. It doesn’t ‘deal’s heavy when riding. However I’m going to do my tubeless conversion soon, so will try and remember to weigh the wheels then.

martinmat
    Free Member

Thanks for reply, seems a little bit like the alloy transition smuggler nx hefty but rides ”light”

tomd1984
    Free Member

The only point of reference I’ve had is steel hardtails, this is no harder work to get along/up/down a trail than any steel hardtail I’ve had.

slowmover

As a slight aside. I tried to get a workscomponents angle adjust headset installed. When communicating with workscomponents they stated that the frame is able to take such a headset. I took it to a bike shop local to work and they advised that the lower bearing is integrated. So no slackset can be fitted. When looking at the Norco website it states ‘angular contact bearings’.

richardthird

No, looks like it wont be suitable. Half a degree per 10mm longer air shaft?

Anyone know if the freehub is steel or ali by the way?

prawny

Looks very nice that. I’m looking at getting rid of my old commuter and my hard tail for a circa £1000 full sus and the Fluid 4 looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

I’m even willing to look past the suntour forks and tektro brakes.

My past experience with gooutdoors hikes haven’t filled me with confidence

richardthird

FS1 diet research
    Hub 425g
    Cassette 615g
    Mech 340g

Ouch. I’ll be upgrading to GX.

slowmover

So that means a new driver for the hub. £50.

richardthird

Worse, a new hub. Unless the D462 internals will fit.

Ill be getting a new wheelset and sell the OE on.

Im now interested to see how the geometry compares to that new Hope machine:-O

tomd1984
    Free Member

Did a tubeless conversion on the front tonight. Ran out of time to do both. But when stripped down, no rim tape, tube or tyre the front weighed a whopping 1.2kg on a poorly balanced set up on some basic kitchen scales. Read into that what you will.

I’m contemplating a set of Hunt Trail Wides

richardthird

Thats what I’m having Tom.

I wasnt guesstimating that heavy a front, perhaps 2300 for the pair? Coukd be nearer 2500 with that heavy rear hub.

tomd1984
    Free Member

I’ll likely do the same with the OE wheels Mr The Third 🙂

Thing is they don’t feel that heavy in use, but on the scales you can see where to save weight.

slowmover

Bent the derailleur hanger in the snow on the weekend. Still waiting for Evans cycles to send me spare which I requested when I bought the bike. In the meantime I have bought type 337 derailleur hanger from SJS cycles. £35. Had a look around, could not get it cheaper.

richardthird

Sheeet! Suppose it didnt match up with anything on ebay?

Ordered my FS1 today, a fresh shipment is arriving Friday apparently.

cokie

These look great value!
    What BBs are these running? Is it pressfit or threaded?

richardthird

Threaded. 73mm BSA 🙂

cokie

Oh, an even better proposition!

tomd1984
    Free Member

Yep, none press fit was one of my criteria for buying it 🙂

cokie

Just looking at these in more detail.
    So they can be had for £1600 once I’ve dragged an old bike out the canal..
    It looks like a robust build to me. The only thing I would change is wheels.

Wondering how much abuse these can handle? I assume they’d be fine at trail centers and a few uplifts a year? Possibly on the short side of travel, but my T129 felt like more than 120mm. I have my eye on a Whyte S150 for similar money.

richardthird

Thats what I’ll be using mine for anyway. I chose this instead of longer travel after riding a mate’s Strive and being very underwhelmed on my local non vertical riding. I cant afford to have something only suitable for rare big trips, it has to be an all rounder.

1700 after a skip find tradein, less a bunch of Clubcard vouchers and the rest on C2W makes it virtually free <manmaths>

(Except for the Hunt wheels ive already got for it)

tomd1984
    Free Member

I’ve done some rocky stuff on Dartmoor, and some trail centre bits and bobs. It handles it well. It bottomed out but I didn’t know about it. Genuinely feels like more travel than it has, and I didn’t want for more. It’s solid, but fun. You don’t NEED to change anything, but if you did then I’d start with wheels definitely.

slowmover

Replaced the derailleur hanger tonight. Everything was loose, including the axle, cones and hanger itself. SJS cycles was a good option for the hanger btw.

tomd1984
    Free Member

Good to know, thanks 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘2019 Norco Fluid FS1 first(ish) impressions’ is closed to new replies.